Black Monday - NFL head coaching changes

How many head coaches are out before the Super Bowl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They've begun (Most of these are per Twitter, not official team sites)
Raiders head coach Jack Del Rio announced after the Raiders' 30-10 loss to the Chargers that owner Mark Davis had informed him that he had been fired.
NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that longtime <Ravens> DC Dean Pees is informing the team he's going to retire, effective March 1.
Jim Caldwell's tenure with the Detroit Lions is over. The team announced early Monday morning that general manager Bob Quinn informed Caldwell that he will not be returning as head coach.
The Chicago Bears fired Fox on Monday after the team finished in the NFC North cellar for the third straight season under his guidance
Giants have already started their search from several weeks back.
Pagano is out in Indianapolis

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaches getting fired all over the league for underperforming. What about Green Bay? Why is Capers not packing his bags? How about making a statement as an organization that repeated failure won't be rewarded.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Coaches getting fired all over the league for underperforming. What about Green Bay? Why is Capers not packing his bags? How about making a statement as an organization that repeated failure won't be rewarded.

Oh please, I understand we don`t like the guy but do you seriously expect the organisation to just throw him under the bus ??? They will probably put out some statement thanking him for his dedication etc etc etc, and wishing him well in his retirement. In England it`s called gardening leave.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's funny is of course McCarthy was flippant in his post game presser as well when asked about capers. Wouldn't answer any question unless it was about the game itself.

Now, they are saying no firing is imminent. W.T.F.

If MM refuses to fire him, then it becomes Paramount that Thompson and Murphy act. Personally, I think it's time for Murphy to act unilaterally and end this partnership by firing both TT AND MM.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What's funny is of course McCarthy was flippant in his post game presser as well when asked about capers. Wouldn't answer any question unless it was about the game itself.

Now, they are saying no firing is imminent. W.T.F.

If MM refuses to fire him, then it becomes Paramount that Thompson and Murphy act. Personally, I think it's time for Murphy to act unilaterally and end this partnership by firing both TT AND MM.
No firing? What if retiring? Then it would be accurate

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh please, get a grip. Posts like this come across as so childishly impatient. It’s just like the first 24 hours of free agency when some here get their undies in an uproar.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Five already gone and it looks like Marvin Lewis and Bruce Ariens will probably retire to get to seven. I think King Jerry also pulls the trigger on Jason Garrett making the final number eight.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh please, get a grip. Posts like this come across as so childishly impatient. It’s just like the first 24 hours of free agency when some here get their undies in an uproar.
You bet i'm impatient. Tired of seeing imcompetent privileged quartet waste Rodgers career. I'd like to see some urgency with this franchise but it seems the only urgency they show as long as they have AR is to cover their ***** and or run for the hot tub. I know a lot of fans and posters on this site are satisfied with not winning a championship. I'm not. If I were satisfied with not winning a championship I would be a Vikings fan

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You bet i'm impatient. Tired of seeing imcompetent privileged quartet waste Rodgers career. I'd like to see some urgency with this franchise but it seems the only urgency they show as long as they have AR is to cover their ***** and or run for the hot tub. I know a lot of fans and posters on this site are satisfied with not winning a championship. I'm not. If I were satisfied with not winning a championship I would be a Vikings fan
This is a thread about the HEAD COACH. If Capers were the Packers HC ATM I'd welcome your view here. Since he isn't **** and post in one of the other threads about it.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
ESPN column
Jobs expected to come open
Cincinnati Bengals
After 15 years in Cincinnati, Marvin Lewis plans to leave the Bengals after the season to pursue opportunities elsewhere, league sources told ESPN on Dec. 17. Lewis said on Monday that no decision has been made and there is no timetable.
Jobs that could come open

Cleveland Browns
Team owner Jimmy Haslam confirmed that Hue Jackson will be the coach in 2018 after the team concluded its 0-16 season.
Dallas Cowboys
Jason Garrett was the 2016 Coach of the Year after leading the Cowboys to a 13-3 record with a rookie quarterback and rookie running back. But Dallas has been one of the bigger disappointments of 2017.
Houston Texans
Bill O'Brien said Sunday after the team's season finale that his future as coach of the Texans is up to owner Bob McNair. League sources told Adam Schefter earlier in the day that O'Brien is likely to be back next season. Meanwhile, GM Rick Smith is taking an extended leave of absence.
Jobs that won't come open despite coaches on the hot seat

Denver Broncos
Vance Joseph will return for a second season in Denver, team president John Elway announced Monday.
New York Jets
Despite a 5-10 record, the Jets have signed coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan to contract extensions, the team announced.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Bucs will retain coach Dirk Koetter, despite a disappointing season that started with high expectations.

After all that, it looks like only a few more. Maybe a disappointed playoff team and Cincinnati.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I started with 5 in the poll but there were already 5 out by the time I posted it.

It is not a good question. Marvin Lewis does not fit in any category because he is officially unemployed, but in no way out of Cincinnati. Everyone is talking about Lewis and Mike Brown discussing possibilities for either being re-signed as a HC for another year or being promoted to an executive role in addition to "mutally parting ways" as was ininitally reported.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not a good question.
So, rephrase it and start your own poll.
Marvin Lewis does not fit in any category because he is officially unemployed
He is not, or is soon will not be the HC so he is out as the HC in Cincinnati. This is not an all-encompassing debate team. Shortcuts and shorthand terminology are sometimes used.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Five already gone and it looks like Marvin Lewis and Bruce Ariens will probably retire to get to seven. I think King Jerry also pulls the trigger on Jason Garrett making the final number eight.

I voted the 6 that are gone now. It seems 50/50 Garrett will be back but for some reason I think he stays. I'd also like to see MM added to this list as well. Vance Joseph seemed in way over his head, don't get him being retained.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted the 6 that are gone now. It seems 50/50 Garrett will be back but for some reason I think he stays. I'd also like to see MM added to this list as well. Vance Joseph seemed in way over his head, don't get him being retained.

There has not been a single report that Jason Garrett's job is in jeopardy. As usual Jerry Jones said he is confident in Garrett. John Elway announced Vance Joseph is safe for next season.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Vance Joseph seemed in way over his head, don't get him being retained.
Denver has NEVER fired a coach after one season. He was handed a poor QB situation. That is on Elway. It is easy to look like a genius GM when you get Peyton (or Aaron) for a few good years.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has not been a single report that Jason Garrett's job is in jeopardy. As usual Jerry Jones said he is confident in Garrett. John Elway announced Vance Joseph is safe for next season.

You're right, but the only confidence Jerry has in Garrett is Garrett won't say **** to him like Jimmy Johnson did. Not necessarily confident in him winning football games lol.

After week 4 the Broncos were outscored 191-308 (16-25.5 per game) with a 2-10 record. I guess beating the Jets and Colts late in the year was enough to save his job to John. I'm all for giving guys enough time, but I'm a pessimist in this instance.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Denver has NEVER fired a coach after one season. He was handed a poor QB situation. That is on Elway. It is easy to look like a genius GM when you get Peyton (or Aaron) for a few good years.

That's fair, also Elway also went all in on free agency from about 2012-2015 so they were due for a down year. It's just hard for me to ignore how bad they were after week 4.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

John Elway did a great job keeping Von Miller in Denver and knew Brock Oswelier was not "the guy" after only seven starts. Bringing Oswelier back as an emergency QB was a no-brainer. Time will tell how Chad Kelly and Jake Butt turn out after missing their entire rookie seasons with injuries. It is obvious Elway made some bad decisions, but he has a better record than Ted Thompson in the free agency market.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
John Elway did a great job keeping Von Miller in Denver and knew Brock Oswelier was not "the guy" after only seven starts. Bringing Oswelier back as an emergency QB was a no-brainer. Time will tell how Chad Kelly and Jake Butt turn out after missing their entire rookie seasons with injuries. It is obvious Elway made some bad decisions, but he has a better record than Ted Thompson in the free agency market.
Lol, dang Elway. Wasting Von Millers prime with all his stupid free agent pickups and cap problems.