Bills Vs. Greenbay 2: Preseason Game

Unbilleveable

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Packer Fans,

Just wondering if you are playing all your starters against the Bills...are you sitting anyone out?

Any word as to how long the starters are going to be in for?

Also, is your team planning a day of just constant blitzes to get revenge on us for the scrimmage?

For Buffalo:

Parrish is out with a wrist injury...possible broken wrist. So you don't have to worry about him. We brought a variety of blitzes last week against Indy similar to the scrimmage and I don't see our D cordinatior stopping anytime soon.

J.P. and the first string offense played into the 3rd quarter last week.

Shaud Williams who is a quick shifty running back will get most of the carries I'm guessing because Willis's knees or ankles have been sore lately.

Anyways Good luck and hope its an injury free game! 8)

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps no Al Harris, no Joey Thomas, DT's Hunt and Grady Jackson. On O, no Bubba Franks, and perhaps Green (cold).

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read where the Packers will have 13 defensive players who will not play in tonights game. It may be difficult to dtermine how good the Bills Offensive unit is based on our defense tonight.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On top of that, the Bills are all pretty much healthy right now....

They have a couple of guys.. who were on the IR list, but they appear back now...
The way their web site reads, you'd think this was regular seeason and if that's the (ahem) "true" case, then the Bills may be peaking as the season starts.. and that's not good. Course, this early, it's hard to tell, but we (at least) are upfront about those that are injured, whereas the Bills actually list no one today.... www.buffalobills.com

FROM USA TODAY -------

ROOKIE REPORT: WR Roscoe Parrish is out indefinitely after injuring is right wrist in practice and undergoing surgery. The club believes he'll return at some point this year. ... TE Kevin Everett, who tore an ACL in mini-camp and underwent surgery, has been signed to a contract. He's in camp studying and watching from the sidelines, but also remains out indefinitely. ... C Ray Preston is working with the second team at center and right guard. ... CB Eric King is working as Buffalo's dime corner and is getting a lot of repetitions with veteran Kevin Thomas (knee) sidelined. He had a team-high six tackles against the Colts. ... OT Justin Geisinger is running with the third unit. ... RB Lionel Gates had six carries for 15 yards against the Colts.

INJURY REPORT: Backup OG Ben Sobieski (back) has not been able to practice yet. ... OG Ross Tucker (back) has come off PUP and is practicing. ... OG Lawrence Smith has been placed on injured reserve after injuring his right leg in a practice against Green Bay. Smith suffered a torn quadriceps tendon and is scheduled to have surgery. He'll be out eight to 12 weeks before he can be rehabbing. ... WR Roscoe Parrish (wrist) is out indefinitely after undergoing surgery.

=====================================

At any rate - there's a POLL on the Packers site about how this game will turn out...

Put your vote in... now -- right now, the dreamers are leading the precentages..
But, I think it'll be the Packers in a nail-biter...

The Bills Defense is exactly what I think Bates would like to see in our Defense... but, then again, it's way to early to start peaking with how they all play...

I'd rather see us gel right after the BYE WEEK... It's a long road after the BYE - this is the earliest that we have ever had it... Once we're past that, then watch the injury reports... it'll make or break the season!

OP
OP
U

Unbilleveable

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach Mularky is being very hush hush over Roscoes injury. Some rumours are that they are not saying anything until the last few days to get season tickets...it's definately in a cast so it looks like he might miss some games.

Everett is out for the season ever since the first day of OTA's. So all of our first day picks are out.. :cry:

I think the Packers will win this one in a close one too. It looks like they are putting some preparation into this game and were caught offguard during the scrimmage. JP was nervous last week against the Colts and he'll be double that for his first time in front of his home fans.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw "a lot of positives" in last night's game, despite the 27-7 shellacking we took at Buffalo. I think Bates' rookies are coming along a lot better than most Sports Analysts would tell you.

Colin Cole(90), Manning(54), Thurman(81), Little(21), Whitticker(79), Poppinga(51), Ray Thompson(55)... all had good showings... In fact, I'd say the Defense is really starting to gel --

IT'S THE DAMN SPECIAL TEAMS THAT WILL KILL US AL SEASON LONG IF BONAMEGO CAN'T GET HIS ACT TOGETHER - I'M REALLY STARTING TO WONDER ABOUT HIS COACHING ABILITY.... He's been here for two years now, right? Buffalo split the field twice for huge gains when we should have had a shutdown, once around 14 and another around the 19... I'd be in Bonamego's face like a Drill Sargeant after this game.... He's got some big time explaining to do! I'd be playing successful kickoff return footage of the Bills all week long to these guys. They are not a unified group on Special Teams by any stretch of the imagination. Tony Fisher looked good and so did Thurman and Chatman - but the rest were consistently out of position, over & over.

Packers.com said:
Undrafted rookie free agent linebacker Roy Manning built on an already impressive training camp. He racked up three tackles, including a sack. Defensive end R-Kal Truluck, who just returned to practice this past week from a hamstring injury, had six tackles.

I'd say give the Offense a B-, after Rodgers performance last night - he hurt the team with his Peyton Manning "playoff against the Patriots-like performance" that he gave us - constantly throwing the ball too low or right at the ground... does he need glasses maybe? Without Rodgers out there this game, we were at least a B+ or an A- ....Brett was in mid-season form... especially with the cross field pass to Batman(30)... great catch - Green kept running that route when a lot of guys would have dropped off....

Defense - played amazing well, I thought - Losman was constantly showing everyone how little their Offense could really do against our Defense - in fact, I bet Losman had more yardage on Bill's Offense than the rest of the Team altogether. THAT's SAYING SOMETHING FOR THE BATES DEFENSE.....

SPECIAL TEAMS JUST PLAIN SUCKED - ALL NIGHT LONG..... Poor positioning, poor tackling, you'd have thought their team had special oil on their uniforms...

Like I said - good game - we have a much improved Defense compared to last year already... it's only gonna get better - now, let's see what happens when we get the regular starters back out there....

eastcoastpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Prez, I didn't get to see any of the game. It sounds betterafter I read what you had to say. The game came on NFL Network at 3am est,I only made it to2:30 and fell asleep. :wall: :doh:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if anyone had the intelligence to record this game on DVR - let us all know about it... I like what I saw last night on Defense... and I'd like to keep a copy for later on in the Season.

Thanks

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I saw "a lot of positives" in last night's game, despite the 27-7 shellacking we took at Buffalo. ...

Defense - played amazing well, I thought - Losman was constantly showing everyone how little their Offiense could really do against our Defense - in fact, I bet Losman had more yardage on Bill's Offense than the rest of the Team altogether. THAT's SAYING SOMETHING FOR THE BATES DEFENSE.....

Okay, I've watched the first half, and I saw a VERY GOOD effort from our first teamers.

OFFENSE: Favre and Co. looked great. #4 evading a few guys for that TD to Green was classic. We'll have no problems on offense this year. A rookie at guard might mean a few more sacks, but the O is still a huge weapon. We still have a few more games for the O-line to gel a bit. We miss Bubba Franks mightily in the run game.

DEFENSE: I was VERY impressed. The short field we gave the Bills after the kickoff was a real bummer. I think the Bills ran about 15 plays to get 30 yards. 2 of the big plays were made by Losman after the pocket collapsed and he had no other options but to run. Our D-line stuffed Mcgahee on both of the 1Q drives. If it weren't for a blown call on the phantom hold by Navies, Our first team D would have outscored the Bills first teamers. I saw guys in the right positions and I saw aggresiveness that we so sorely lacked last season.

Notables that stuck out to me so far: Colin Cole, Ray Thompson, Earl Little.

One other player of note: BJ Sander. The lightbulb went on! He is punting pretty good, and if it weren't for our pathetic coverage he'd be even better. Nice tackling BJ!

OP
OP
U

Unbilleveable

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losman was constantly showing everyone how little their Offiense could really do against our Defense - in fact, I bet Losman had more yardage on Bill's Offense than the rest of the Team altogether.

What game were you watching?

J. Losman 7/14 59 yds 5 rushes 36 yrds

Net Yards Rushing GB 106 BUF 158

Net Yards Passing GB 77 BUF 122

Total Yrds: GB 183 BUF 280

Your a little off on your stats there...
I'd give the Offense a B-, after Rodgers performance last night - he hurt the team with his Peyton Manning "playoff against the Patriots-like performance" that he gave us - constantly throwing the ball too low or right at the ground...

B-?? pretty high for 180 yrds. 4-12 on third downs. Buffalo's D seemed like it was practicing a 3 man front it looked like on that first drive we didn't send the normal amount of blitzes. It's not an excuse or anything...you guys were good on third down on the first drive.

I noticed Rodgers preformance too...He was making the right reads and had that great long run but he just can't throw...kind of important for a QB. I admit Losman was throwing a little high in the game so it brings up a good question...would you rather have a Qb that throws into the ground or a QB that gets receivers injured? Hopefully both QB's can correct those problems.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now - that's what I'm talking about ... some honest-to-goodness football commentary with a few "say what"'s thrown in for good measure... Some of you guys buckin for Reporters jobs maybe.... :mrgreen:

I also thought there were at least two phantom calls - but hey, you gotta live with what they finalize. Remember the Niner game where Rice fumbled? Let's move on... So far, the Packers are still beating themselves on several fronts - mostly where Bonamego is in charge at this point... I'll have to go back and look for who our STC was back in the mid Nineties....

1) Penalties, penalties, penalties.....
2) No blocking on Kickoffs, or Punt Returns - just plain stunk out there....

It is proven that when you don't allow a shortened field for your opponent -against da Packers, almost no one scores a point. THEY HAVE TO GET A HANDLE ON THIS !

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you who did not watch the Packers coverage but the NFL channel (home team feed first half away team feed second half) This Bills announcer Steve Tasker (ProBowl ST guy) pointed out that the Bills were the best special teams team last year. No category less than 5th in the league. 1st in punt returns. 3rd in kick returns.

Manning went out of lane on the 1st Kick off return and Franz was knocked down into Fisher knocking him off his feet also.

On the fumbled punt Manning was down field early and sandwiched the returner with Paris Lenon. Once repeated Zac Woodfin was blown out of his lane. The camera angle did not show those next to him that messed up. In the second half at lot of the special teams guys will not be on team in September.

I've reviewed the tape a bit and Buffalo did a good job of knocking key guys in the Packer coverage out of their lanes and the guys next to him not reacting. Green Bay did not play many first string ST guys.

I'm not excusing the poor performance but I am trying to explain it.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes more sense when you put it that way... All I need to see is the mechanics and after that, I'd be able to tell what's what.....

Thanks

For those who can't see them on PackersNews -

You can go over to IPB and see all the basics on just about any play design... Here

Members online

Latest posts