Bigby...another sub-par performance

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
I am not ripping on Bigby, but let's face it, the guy has some issues in pass coverage. A good mobile TE, like Witten, is going to give bigby some problems.

That is agreed, but Whitten seems to gives alot of teams fit, but most of our issue with TE's is Poppinga not getting a good jam on at the LOS. You let a big mobile TE work the underneath stuff, without a impediment in his route such as a jam, well you give up a ton of yards.

Poppinga and Bigby are young players, and especially Bigby hasn't had alot of chances to work close to the LOS. With time, he will learn to keep the TE hands off you while giving him a pop in the pads and making him take an extra step or two..

If you want to focus on a weakness right now, it is the stretch runs to the edges of our defense. We were gashed off tackle for a stockpile of yards... thus letting the play action work and put pressure on the safeties to provide run support.. but even that was manageable.

remember wayne simmons? When the Packers won the Superbowl in 96, Simmons was great at getting his hands on the TE coming off of the line of scrimmage.

I am not trying to focus on a weakness, so relax. The Packers have some liabilities in pass coverage. SS & Sam LBer are glaring weaknesses that teams are going to go after.

A guy like Witten may prevent the Packers from making an apperance in the super Bowl. I think we can handle Owens, and the running attack of the Cowboys, but Witten is going to give us problems.

Would the Packers be better off w/Collins & Rouse? I am not ruling that out.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am not trying to focus on a weakness, so relax. The Packers have some liabilities in pass coverage. SS & Sam LBer are glaring weaknesses that teams are going to go after.

No worries DH.. it was more of a global statement about the thread than your post... I agree with you on the TE coverage, but to me, Bigby is the most physical safety we have.. so probably has the best chance to match up with a TE if that is the scheme we employ.

Simmons was a beast that could run.... he would flat out stone the TE at the LOS without holding him.. strong upper body with good extension.... one of my favs during the Superbowl years. RIP Wayne.

Back to this year.. I still think we would have more success on the TE if Hawk played over the TE.. he has the stout frame and strength to jam them at the LOS..

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that we don't play a defense that jams TEs at the line. We play our LBs off the line basically all the time.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In terms of TE coverage, if someone were to be replaced it would be Poppinga... He has given the most yards to the TE's not Bigby. Bigby is physical and quick. He is learning the NFL system and he is one of the reasons why the Packers still have a lot of upside on defense.

They will still improve throughout the season at SS, Will LB, Nickel Back, and FS.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
dhpackr said:
I am not ripping on Bigby, but let's face it, the guy has some issues in pass coverage. A good mobile TE, like Witten, is going to give bigby some problems.

That is agreed, but Whitten seems to gives alot of teams fit, but most of our issue with TE's is Poppinga not getting a good jam on at the LOS. You let a big mobile TE work the underneath stuff, without a impediment in his route such as a jam, well you give up a ton of yards.

Poppinga and Bigby are young players, and especially Bigby hasn't had alot of chances to work close to the LOS. With time, he will learn to keep the TE hands off you while giving him a pop in the pads and making him take an extra step or two..

If you want to focus on a weakness right now, it is the stretch runs to the edges of our defense. We were gashed off tackle for a stockpile of yards... thus letting the play action work and put pressure on the safeties to provide run support.. but even that was manageable.

remember wayne simmons? When the Packers won the Superbowl in 96, Simmons was great at getting his hands on the TE coming off of the line of scrimmage.

A guy like Witten may prevent the Packers from making an apperance in the super Bowl. I think we can handle Owens, and the running attack of the Cowboys, but Witten is going to give us problems.

Would the Packers be better off w/Collins & Rouse? I am not ruling that out.

Gates, Tony G, and Cooley all had monster games against the Packers and Green Bay won all those games.

Witten is going to have a huge game against the Packers considering he'll be exploiting our weakness as you stated, but if Green Bay pressures Romo, stops the run, and covers TO they'll be in it.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky,
I had touched on this same thing in other threads.

If they wanted to give something else away to take the TE out of the equation they would do so. EVERY defense has a spot that is not covered as well as others and ours happens to be the LB's coverage of the TE's and it's not because the don't have the ability.

It is because the LB's have so many things they are responsible for they are going to be put on an island on occasion covering a very good receiving TE.

What LB out there can cover Gonzo, Gates, or, Cooley? Nobody. But it's no coincidence that EVERY one of these guys has a RB behind them that we SHUT DOWN.

No coincidence either that we WON all three games.

As far as Bigby goes I'm not sure who on here is qualified to grade what he does out there. There are times he LOOKS like he's getting somewhere late when he is just reacting to the ball on a play somebody else blew. He may have been in perfect position on a given play but it appears he SHOULD have been somewhere else. He is, after all, going to head to wherever the play ultimately goes.

Unless you really know what his assignment is on every single play than you really don't know based soley on what you see going on out there.