better without AJ Hawk?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a self admitted AJ Hawk hater. So I know I am biased when I feel the defense was better without him today.

what do you guys think? Should MM consider making a change provided Hawk is healthy?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Hard to gauge a back-up LB off of one game. But the mere fact that DJ Smith can actually tackle somebody, I think he should be given some of his reps in practice at the very least

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, last year he did fine? What has changed this year? I havent really been able to notice it so much today..

Was at folks for dinner, leg issues with pain pills made me not be able to concentrate on game like normal..Will re-watch the dvr recording

D

Dan115

The Packers signed Hawk to a nice new contract they must see something in him.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought DJ smith might have better reaction, lil quicker, but you never know what these guys are dealing w/ on health basis week after week, and w/ 3 days rest...DJ SMITH is definitely healthier going in against the Lions. I love seeing the backups step up and make plays!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, last year he did fine? What has changed this year?

You can say that about most of our guys on D. Hard to argue that things aren't different than last year. Clearly, something's not working right. I'm glad we tightened up late in the game, but it was pretty ugly there for far too much of the game.

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have actually thought about this. Do you remember last year when hawk only had like 6 snaps early in the season. He did not get many snaps early last season and when he was starting again I feel like he played real hard and better kinda like he knew if he did not he was out.

Hawk is above average against the run and a great signal caller on defense, but I feel like bishop and hawk are a terrible duo against the pass. I would definitely like to see francois in for passing situations. And dj smith reminds me a lot of bishop early in his career. Certainly does not hurt having good depth at ilb spot.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Haha, I thought I was the only one who thought of this when watching. Yes, hate to admit it, but we're better w/out Hawk..

Who knew Francois has serious ball skills?

Whatever helps the pass coverage from our linebackers cause (shh don't tell no one) that is easily the weakest part of our team..

PackersDraft

Draftnik
Reaction score
DJ Smith looks like a London Fletcher clone. Short, great tackling, and both are from small schools. Bishop and Hawk are both hurt for a yet to be announced period of time, so maybe we will get to see the young guns in more action.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a very cool piece done on Francois on the NFL network earlier this year. It featured a few lesser known, barely on the roster guys and their stories and how they ended up in the Super Bowl.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am a self admitted AJ Hawk hater. So I know I am biased when I feel the defense was better without him today.

what do you guys think? Should MM consider making a change provided Hawk is healthy?

No. Next question.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I thought the same thing and spent most of the game, while the defense was on the field, watching DJ and Francois.

For starters, the amount of separation between defender and receiver in the middle ground was A LOT smaller than what it typically is with Hawk and Bishop out there. Secondly, I didn't miss Hawk's ability to always "just be too far away to make the tackle". A week ago, I remember Hawk running backwards so that the TB Buc runner didn't get past his last line of defense. Until someone else made the tackle, Hawk let the guy rumble for 20+ yards down to within the 10. Geez, Hawk-- you're a linebacker. Make the damned tackle yourself.

However, losing both Hawk and Bishop at the same time, if this is the case, would be bad. That's a lot of experience and play calling gone. Worse case is if Bishop is gone for extended time, but Hawk returns. I think Bishop is the bigger loss.

Well, hoping that we get everyone back soon. Even Hawk. Good to see our bench step it up, though. Thanks TT.

Members online

Latest posts