Best linebacking core

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So will Briggs really sit out the season? If he does, doesn't that make him eligible to get the franchise tag next year as well?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we should wait till this defense proves something on the field before we call our LB's the best in the league. I do like Hawk and Barnett a lot, and Poppinga seems to be coming around, but they can't be among the best when they play on a defense that is below average overall.

Others have already mentioned the Bears' linebackers. Other teams that are right up there are the Chargers, Ravens, and Patriots, and maybe the Steelers and Eagles. (I know the Steelers just lost Joey Porter, but they have a history of not missing a beat when they lose high-quality defensive players.)

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will see who has the best linebackers in 2007 this is still up in the air.

Hawk is going to improve on a great first year so the Packers might equal the bears. The Bears Linebackers are so awesome it is scary.

I know you do not want to hear this, and I rarely talk about my Raiders here on this forum, but the Raiders Linebackers last year were the most underrated line backing tandem in the NFL. Watch them this year.

RP

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dolphins have by far one of the best linebacking core. u got ZACH THOMAS, CHANNING CROWDER, AND NOW JOEY PORTER.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with barnet signing a new deal and hawk getting better do u guys think we have the Best linebackers core in the NFL

if not then who

As this question in two years. There's a good chance the answer will be us.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your LB core is only as strong as your backups, we dont really have much strength in depth here.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Tiger hit it on the head, we are definately in a better place with our LB than we have been in years.. but we are not in the category of the best..

Barnett is a OLB playing the middle, he has a tendancy to over run plays at times, but is one of the best in the game.

Hawk - All signs point to him being a dominate LB for years to come, he had a awesome rookie year, hopefully he will build upon that and become an elite player. But give him a year or two.

Poppinga, he has excellent size and speed, however if he is going to play the strong side his coverage skills have to improve. He gave up way too much yardage to the TE's downfield. A liability in the passing game.

Hodge is a true middle linebacker, but he is young yet and needs a year or two yet to become a starter. Somehow in the next season or two, he will be the starting MLB here with Hawk playing Strong side and Barnett playing the will.

But that is it folks, we have two high quality LB's with two backup grade LB in our pocket. Taylor is not sided yet so we can't put him into the mix yet. And somehow I think that is a sign that Ted will be adding a LB in the draft or someplace along the lines. Taylor expressed that he would like to come back, so for some reason Ted left the door open.

We have a change to become an elite group with Hawk and Barnett to build around. Poppinga might take another step and elevate this group, so we shall see. But as Tiger stated right above, LITTLE DEPTH.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lack of Strength in depth is absolutely killing our special teams too.
Hopefully this will come good with time.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are not in the elite catagory just yet but with Hawk coming along and Poppinga having a healthy offseason we are on our way to getting there.

What I look at is where we are from where we were.

We are in the "pretty damn good" catagory now which is a hell of a lot better than "**** poor" which is where we were just a couple of years ago.

Talk about no depth, hell, we had two STARTERS that didn't belong out there let alone anybody that could backup.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hopin the Pack would sign Kawika Mitchell to play strongside LB. The Giants got a great LB for only 1 million.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely within the upper third. Whoever said we will be one of the elite in 3-4 years I think is on the right track.

Latest posts