Reaction score
Ok..

Watching football life about Walter Payton

So for me he is ahead of Barry.

What about you?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, how were the names determined? Specifically, Taylor - is that Fred Taylor, 17th overall, or our own Jim, 39th? Where are guys like ****erson?

To the point, I think Jim Brown, great as he was, was just ahead of his time, a man among boys. Campbell was in the same mold, and they were both a joy to watch.

I'd rather have Payton for a given game, but I'd always pick Sanders if I had one play that had to succeed.

The guy I'll always regret not being able to see more of was Bo Jackson.

Sky King

Reaction score
Sanders. Incredibly elusive.

The Packers always handled Brown really well. Pre-DirecTV we did not get to see many non-Packer games, so personally, I missed out on a lot of his outstanding plays. He may very well have been the best.

Reaction score
I'm going with my favorite that I actually watched play live. They were all fun to watch and I loved Walter's intensity and heart.
Emmitt Smiths accomplishments are nothing short of extraordinary!

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
First, how were the names determined? Specifically, Taylor - is that Fred Taylor, 17th overall, or our own Jim, 39th? Where are guys like ****erson?

To the point, I think Jim Brown, great as he was, was just ahead of his time, a man among boys. Campbell was in the same mold, and they were both a joy to watch.

I'd rather have Payton for a given game, but I'd always pick Sanders if I had one play that had to succeed.

The guy I'll always regret not being able to see more of was Bo Jackson.

Off top of my head just thought of big time backs and added Taylor.. After all it is a packer forum lol

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Payton by a lot over Sanders. I voted for Jim Brown. Truly amazing.

Sanders couldn't pick up 3rd and 2. He was a human highlight film but also had a lot of negative yardage plays and as such, wasn't even as good as Emmitt Smith imo.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Sanders here. Game after game ... made defense after defense look completely impaired. If this guy had a team behind him ... there'd be no question. Unlike Sweetness, Sanders never got the love BECAUSE he played for some pretty marginal Lion teams.

Payton though ... who could NOT appreciate the guy. Consummate professional, never talked crap even though he could have ... he was just plain "style" on the field.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think payton for me because i grew up watching him and pretending to be him in any back yard games we played

Itkovian

Perpetual Realist
Reaction score
He's not the "best ever", but Frank Gore just passed Franco Harris on the all time rushing list. 184 Yards more and he will have passed (in this order) Marcus Allen, Edgerrin James, Marshall Faulk, and Jim Brown, which will make him 9th all time.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And, given last night, this might be the only thread to which we can post without developing an ulcer.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always thought Gale Sayers was the best I've personally seen play. But I can't choose anyone over Jimmy Taylor and the Championships he helped win.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Emmitt Smith because 1) he holds the all-time record as the game was moving towards passing, and 2) he did everything very well, meaning he was a complete back.

Barry Sanders was the best runner that I've ever seen, but not the best RB. Smith could block effectively, was really good at catching the ball, and an explosive runner. Walter is a close second to me with most of the others being great pounders or runners in their own respects but not complete RBs in my opinion.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No peterson on the list? Lol

Sanders and peterson are tops in my book. They did it in the billion dollar arena of modern football.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went Sanders because he was by far the most fun to watch. Maybe not the best RB (these ranks are always slightly ridiculous since you can't compare players across eras) but certainly the most electric.

And while I know he wouldn't win, why isn't Tomlinson listed in here? He seems somewhat underrated for a guy that's fifth all time in rushing yards, second in touchdowns and second among RBs all time in receptions.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Payton and Sanders belong in the top two.
Both of their running styles are night and day.
Payton runs through the defenders, mowing them down or making them miss. Reminds me of Eddie Lacy, who is a tank.
Sanders would run around and past the defenders to avoid them. Reminds me of what James Starks tries to do.

I do wonder what the O-Lines were like for them at the time and how much they relied on them.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts