Best and Worst PFF Grades from Week 12 vs Rams...

D

Deleted member 6794

The other thing I picked up on if I’m s ST coach :)eek:) is I’d have a 2nd returner for support nearby waiting for that to happen. I saw 3 games this week alone that returns were muffed and fumbled to the kicking team. A 2nd support player close by would’ve Likely recovered 1-2 of those imo. There’s a breakdown when the returner is the only guy in the vicinity and it caused change of possession and points lost. Obviously I can’t be the only person on earth that’s picked up on this, yet punt after punt the returner of a live ball is like Tom Hanks hollering for Wilson

That would reduce the chances of a decent return even more. In that case it might be best to just let the ball hit the ground on every punt and start the drive from where it is downed.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would reduce the chances of a decent return even more. In that case it might be best to just let the ball hit the ground on every punt and start the drive from where it is downed.
It would also create some serious field position issues as well. Just guessing here, but maybe an average of as much as 10-15 yards in average difference in field position, in a lot of cases.

Reaction score
It would also create some serious field position issues as well. Just guessing here, but maybe an average of as much as 10-15 yards in average difference in field position, in a lot of cases.
Yeah. I’m not suggesting waiving a white flag. But having 1 hands player in deep support isn’t going to break the return unit imo. If anything those roles change on deep 55+ punts vs back peddling and being off kilter, where I’ve seen them just give up altogether and let the ball roll an extra 10

I have noticed they are shifting some players around (on n off practice squad) I think we see several personnel changes about to happen at our weakest link (ST)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah. I’m not suggesting waiving a white flag. But having 1 hands player in deep support isn’t going to break the return unit imo. If anything those roles change on deep 55+ punts vs back peddling and being off kilter, where I’ve seen them just give up altogether and let the ball roll an extra 10

The Packers keeping another player back solely to improve the chances of picking up a muffed punt would result in one player less being able to block opponents. I don't consider that to be a good idea considering it seems that can't open up holes anyway.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you have to be able to have confidence your return man can field a punt or kick cleanly or you have nothing really in today's NFL.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned this before, not only does it lead to one less guy blocking but that is one less guy to cover eligible receivers which will lead to more successful fake punts against them.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we do get a decent return, we seem to have penalties for holding and blocks in the back. Right now, our best play is no blocks, fair catches, or let it end up a touch back.

But that's just my opinion.

Reaction score
The Packers keeping another player back solely to improve the chances of picking up a muffed punt would result in one player less being able to block opponents. I don't consider that to be a good idea considering it seems that can't open up holes anyway.
I was going to respond, but then realized no matter what I said? You would take it as you being incorrect and you would never let that go, which is hilarious. :roflmao:

I’ll defer to you because you’re obviously the expert (although you don’t think a player on the field is eligible to block because he’s near the return man, which is totally absurd)
So what’s the plan Stan? Surely you have a specific plan. Go for it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I was going to respond, but then realized no matter what I said? You would take it as you being incorrect and you would never let that go, which is hilarious. :roflmao:

I don't have any issues to admit being wrong about something but in this case I believe you should be the one to think about reconsidering your point of view as I haven't seen any pro or college team having a player on a return team with the primary assignment of picking up a potential muffed kick.

I’ll defer to you because you’re obviously the expert (although you don’t think a player on the field is eligible to block because he’s near the return man, which is totally absurd)

A player positioned next to the returner to pick up a muffed ball would definitely not be able to block any opponent going full speed trying to tackle the returner.

So what’s the plan Stan? Surely you have a specific plan. Go for it

I have absolutely no idea how to fix the Packers' special teams. I would start with replacing Drayton though.

Members online

Latest posts