Belichick Rumors

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you have heard the recent story about tension between Bill Belichick, Tom Brady, and Robert Kraft in New England. What got my attention is that I heard people on both ESPN and Fox Sports that Belichick might leave the Patriots after the playoffs. Now that's probably just a bunch of BS, but it's being tossed around out there.

My first thought is, hey maybe Belichick can be our next defensive coordinator lol. No, just kidding. But I did think that if he waited a year, maybe he could take McCarthy's spot. I bet Belichick would like to work with Aaron Rodgers as a weapon.

But I heard someone say on the radio that he had two most likely destinations:
1) Detroit - this would suck, because do you want to deal with Belichick in the division? I don't.
2) Indianapolis - preferable to Detroit, but I live in Indiana, so I don't really want to hear about the Colts success being stuffed down my throat on a daily basis (if they were to be successful).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is the time of year where people will try and get people to read whatever they can. Just like 2 days ago Ted was still going to be in charge and Ball was going to the GM just to remove the spotlight from Ted. Because Ball is such a spolight afficiando and MM was going to continue as coach and everything would be the same. And then all these other coaches were let go and now the story becomes that MM is going to quit if Ball is named the GM. and all these people act like they know who ball is or what he does, just like they act like they know anything about Wolf or Gutekunst. There will be wild speculation until things happen or don't. If things do happen, they hardly ever happen the way the wild speculators say.

OP
OP
R

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will be wild speculation until things happen or don't. If things do happen, they hardly ever happen the way the wild speculators say.
Well, in this case I don't necessarily believe it either. But sometimes people do know things and they turn out to be true. I'm mostly curious as to how guys here would react to the idea of Belichick coaching the Lions. Or do you think it's possible he might be convinced to come to the Packers someday? Or would that even be a desirable thing?

Maybe he couldn't reproduce his success somewhere else. We never really got to see what Lombardi could do with Washington, unfortunately.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If Belichick wants this coaching/GM job, you can McCarthy's *** quicker than hell. And not apologize for it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Lombardi turned the skins around in his only seaso with largely same roster as the year before. Their first +.500 season in 14 years?

Bellichik? Nah...wishful thinking by some lonely Jets fan in my opinion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, in this case I don't necessarily believe it either. But sometimes people do know things and they turn out to be true. I'm mostly curious as to how guys here would react to the idea of Belichick coaching the Lions. Or do you think it's possible he might be convinced to come to the Packers someday? Or would that even be a desirable thing?

Maybe he couldn't reproduce his success somewhere else. We never really got to see what Lombardi could do with Washington, unfortunately.
I don't think there's any truth to it at all, so i'm not going to speculate. BB is coach and GM for the Pats. I think he's there until Brady is no longer. I don't think the owners made BB do anything, because they have zero leverage. So what, he tells them to suck it and makes his personnel decisions like he wants to as gm and headcoach and what's the worst that happens? They fire him? LOL go Krafts LOL BB would have more money and control being tossed at him the second it happened. He hardly strikes me as a guy that will let an owner tell him what to do and roll with it.

but I think everyone over there knows what's up, they know how important they are too each other and they're going to ride it till the end.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't think there's any truth to it at all, so i'm not going to speculate. BB is coach and GM for the Pats. I think he's there until Brady is no longer. I don't think the owners made BB do anything, because they have zero leverage. So what, he tells them to suck it and makes his personnel decisions like he wants to as gm and headcoach and what's the worst that happens? They fire him? LOL go Krafts LOL BB would have more money and control being tossed at him the second it happened. He hardly strikes me as a guy that will let an owner tell him what to do and roll with it.

but I think everyone over there knows what's up, they know how important they are too each other and they're going to ride it till the end.
There's no basis or foundation to what I'm about to say. Simply my opinion:

But I think that Belichick would like the opportunity to prove that he can win without Brady. I believe that Belichick wanted to trade Brady. If Jimmy G is really the next big thing, you get to coach him for the rest of your career. Trading him away just to squeeze another couple of years out of Brady at best? To me, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I get Kraft's allegiance to Brady, but I think he's playing checkers rather than chess.

Brady has already looked considerably worse in the past 5 games or so than he did in the beginning. Now granted, in the beginning, he looked great. Like the Tom Brady we've come to know over the years. But the past 5 weeks have been alarming to me. I just don't think he's going to hold up to play until he's 45 at a high level like he's repeatedly said that he wants to. You've got the wife already saying that she wants him to hang it up. I think a compromise of some kind will be made soon. Whether it's this season or next. Remember, Brady missing the first 4 games of the 2016 season helped him hold up tremendously.

But if Brady takes the big dip like so many other great quarterbacks have (just recently, Peyton & Favre), it's going to look remarkably stupid for the Patriots to have let Jimmy G go. Say what you want about Belichick, but he's always been a step ahead of the game. He's all about what's best for the franchise. From my perspective, I don't think that it's outside the realm of possibility for Belichick to think that it would have been smarter to cut bait with Brady who's over 40 and go with a young quarterback that you're very high on. The Colts had a chance to move on from Peyton and they did. The Packers didn't give in to the demands of Favre toward the very end and went to Rodgers. I know it's an apples to oranges situation because Brady has been loyal and is seemingly healthy, but he's not going to be Tom Brady forever. I can't see him operating at the hall of fame level we're accustomed to seeing him operate at when he hits 42...43...44.

My personal belief is that Belichick wanted Brady gone and that Kraft vetoed. I've thought that for months though. The recent reports didn't shape my way of thinking.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Isn't the supposed rift between BB and tom Brady with Robert Kraft alledged to have sided with Brady? Thus BB might be out after the season if he doesn't make concessions to Brady. Idk If it's true I don't see BB folding to Brady so he's gone. But I wouldn't want him in Green Bay don't think Rodgers would like him either

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Isn't the supposed rift between BB and tom Brady with Robert Kraft alledged to have sided with Brady? Thus BB might be out after the season if he doesn't make concessions to Brady. Idk If it's true I don't see BB folding to Brady so he's gone. But I wouldn't want him in Green Bay don't think Rodgers would like him either
You wouldn't want a 5 time Super Bowl champion coaching the Green Bay Packers? :confused:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But I think that Belichick would like the opportunity to prove that he can win without Brady. I believe that Belichick wanted to trade Brady. If Jimmy G is really the next big thing, you get to coach him for the rest of your career. Trading him away just to squeeze another couple of years out of Brady at best? To me, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I get Kraft's allegiance to Brady, but I think he's playing checkers rather than chess.

Brady has already looked considerably worse in the past 5 games or so than he did in the beginning. Now granted, in the beginning, he looked great. Like the Tom Brady we've come to know over the years. But the past 5 weeks have been alarming to me. I just don't think he's going to hold up to play until he's 45 at a high level like he's repeatedly said that he wants to. You've got the wife already saying that she wants him to hang it up. I think a compromise of some kind will be made soon. Whether it's this season or next. Remember, Brady missing the first 4 games of the 2016 season helped him hold up tremendously.

But if Brady takes the big dip like so many other great quarterbacks have (just recently, Peyton & Favre), it's going to look remarkably stupid for the Patriots to have let Jimmy G go. Say what you want about Belichick, but he's always been a step ahead of the game. He's all about what's best for the franchise. From my perspective, I don't think that it's outside the realm of possibility for Belichick to think that it would have been smarter to cut bait with Brady who's over 40 and go with a young quarterback that you're very high on. The Colts had a chance to move on from Peyton and they did. The Packers didn't give in to the demands of Favre toward the very end and went to Rodgers. I know it's an apples to oranges situation because Brady has been loyal and is seemingly healthy, but he's not going to be Tom Brady forever. I can't see him operating at the hall of fame level we're accustomed to seeing him operate at when he hits 42...43...44.

My personal belief is that Belichick wanted Brady gone and that Kraft vetoed. I've thought that for months though. The recent reports didn't shape my way of thinking.

I think if BB wanted to keep Jimmy G, he would have. I think he's exactly the coach that would tell the owner "No". Maybe he was told how it was going to be, but i can't see him just rolling with it. The owners have no leverage on a guy like BB. He's brought so much success in terms of personnel and coaching, he can tell them no, and all they can do is fire him. If an owner went above his head and made a trade without the GM's consent, i'd call that a breach and quit. Get hired back with the browns, take his staff with him and beat the Pats for the next decade. :) I guess if they did make him trade Jimmy G, then I would suspect this is his last year with them, I don't see a coach like BB putting up with that. So maybe he is gone after the season. I just see him having the stones to stand up and tell Kraft to shut it, he's not in charge of personnel and if he didn't like it, fire him.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there was any truth to this crap, everyone who has more than a passing interest in the Patriots would know about it. The safe assumption is nobody outside of New England knows anything, because ESPN reporters lie a lot.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lombardi turned the skins around in his only seaso with largely same roster as the year before. Their first +.500 season in 14 years?

Bellichik? Nah...wishful thinking by some lonely Jets fan in my opinion.

Don't forget about Vince on the front end, either. Took a 1-10-1 team to a 7-5 record the next year.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
No chance. If in the slight remote chance that Bill comes here to be a HC if MM leaves Ill do something.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
To put things simply, this is NEVER going to happen. It’s more likely that Brett Favre comes out of retirement and plays for the Patriots next year than it is that all this drama is true and leads B.B. to the packers. IF in the 0.00001% it actually happened, Packers win every Super Bowl with AR+B.B. moving forward, and I would be the happiest person living in New England

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Belicheat is 10-6 without Brady at QB since Bledsoe left NE. As to Brady. The last few year his play has been going downhill the last 4 games of the season. It's been noticed by several reporters. And if you pay attention you can see it. He's wearing out at the end of the year. The only thing saving them is they usually have a first round bye that he can rest up before playing a playoff game.

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s all hot air being blown by ESPN to try and get something against NE.... oh look they won another super bowl... again

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If BB comes to the Packers and wins some Super Bowls, that would hurt both Rodgers' and Brady's legacies, IMO.
As a fan of the Green Bay Packers, you would not want to see a 5 time Super Bowl champion be the head guy? In what universe?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think if BB wanted to keep Jimmy G, he would have. I think he's exactly the coach that would tell the owner "No". Maybe he was told how it was going to be, but i can't see him just rolling with it. The owners have no leverage on a guy like BB. He's brought so much success in terms of personnel and coaching, he can tell them no, and all they can do is fire him. If an owner went above his head and made a trade without the GM's consent, i'd call that a breach and quit. Get hired back with the browns, take his staff with him and beat the Pats for the next decade. :) I guess if they did make him trade Jimmy G, then I would suspect this is his last year with them, I don't see a coach like BB putting up with that. So maybe he is gone after the season. I just see him having the stones to stand up and tell Kraft to shut it, he's not in charge of personnel and if he didn't like it, fire him.
You know how bad it would look if Belichick called Kraft's bluff and Kraft fired him? It's not even reasonable to suggest that Belichick should have defied Kraft.

There's zero upside in that scenario for Belichick. Zero.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No upside other than the bidding war between teams wanting him as HC. And the dollar amount he would get as a result of that and the money rumored for Gruden. If Gruden is worth $10 mil a year, what would a bad team pay for B.B. I don’t see a downside for B.B.

Latest posts