Bates keeps word. Hunt doesn't start camp with first defence

Reaction score
Bates said that Hunt would have to win back his starting job, and ITS GREAT to see that Bates is keeping to his word. During friday's practice, Hunt didnt get any reps with the first string defense. He was replaces by Corey Williams. Heres the article:

"He's back: Defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt was back in the fold Friday but not the starting lineup a little less than two months after missing a voluntary weeklong minicamp in June.

Hunt wasn't talking publicly about the reasons for his earlier absence but did take part in - and passed - the team's mandatory conditioning test Thursday, which was one of the challenges Sherman had laid out before him in June.

"He passed the test, so that was a positive," Sherman said. "I didn't see anything on the field today that made me think he can't continue to participate, so we'll see."

Second-year swing man Corey Williams replaced Hunt at his customary tackle position from the outset as Sherman and defensive coordinator Jim Bates appear to be remaining true to their word that Hunt will have to earn his starting spot back.

"He got off to a good start," Bates said, referring to Hunt. "We're going to bring him along slow. We'll spot him in and out. He doesn't know the system like the other guys do."

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul05/344871.asp (around middle of the page)

Competition breeds success, and hopefully this will light a fire under Hunt. I think its an excellent messege to send, If you don't perform, you won't play, regardless of how much you make. Its been a tough off-season for GB, but you gotta give them credit for not caving in or sending wrong messages.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should be interesting these next few weeks in camp to see how Hunt handles being a second stringer while learning Bates system. This could be Hunt's last chance to get his act together. There is a lot of competition on the D-line right now so its do or die for him.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This should do one of two things...Make him walk like a man and put his head down and get to work...or become such a prima donna distraction like he has been for the last year or so, that it makes the choice of cutting him even easier.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe Hunt will make the final roster though.

The Packers gave Hunt a $1 million roster bonus in March, minus the $250 thousand for not coming to Green Bay to earn the workout bonus. I think the Packers would have cut him back then and saved the money if they didn't want Hunt.

Hunt passed all the conditioning tests this week.

Sherman said he didn't want to reinjure Hunt in the same drills where Hunt pulled a hamstring in minicamp, so Sherman held him out of the drill and had him work with the conditioning coach instead. That shows me they are treating Hunt with kid gloves because they don't want him to get hurt again.

Bates said Hunt:

"..got off to a good start,..."

"...We're going to bring him along slow. We'll spot him in and out. He doesn't know the system like the other guys do."

I know a lot of people want Hunt cut and don't like his lazy attitude, but the way the Packers seem to be treating Hunt with kid gloves in training camp, I think he sticks for another season even though he's playing on the 2nd string unit at the moment.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hunt was drafted as a project, much like Torrence Marschall and most of the draft choices this year. He has a great pro body, posseses speed, strength and has all the tools to be a very fine player. The thing he is missing is something that can't alway be judged and that is heart. The kid doesn't have any honor. He's lazy, has no feelings of loyalty and seems to have no desire to reach his potential. Now if somehow Bates can reach him our team can be better. If not you have to replace him because you can't allow him to be a cancer on this team. For as much as you want to have outstanding talent, team chemistry is really important. I look back at those teams from 93 thru 96 and they had great talent, but they had really good chemistry on those teams and they wanted to win and they committed to each to do so. Mike Sherman's teams don't seem to have that approach. Hopefully now that he's not the GM anymore he can recapture that chemistry. I hope Hunt is a part of that.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you scroll down the following story to the Green Bay section, it says:

"Cletidus Hunt is battling Corey Williams for starting defensive tackle honors. Hunt has impressed the coaches so far, and his experience and potential may be finally coming together after seven years in the league. He is one to watch throughout preseason as he becomes more familiar with the Packers' defensive schemes. "

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3839922

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
If you scroll down the following story to the Green Bay section, it says:

"Cletidus Hunt is battling Corey Williams for starting defensive tackle honors. Hunt has impressed the coaches so far, and his experience and potential may be finally coming together after seven years in the league. He is one to watch throughout preseason as he becomes more familiar with the Packers' defensive schemes. "

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3839922

Word has it that Sherman and Bates took the starting job off of Hunt. (1st post in this thread.)

He has to earn it back in training camp.

Probably the reason for his new found incentive.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hunt wants the job and is willing to find a heart in his chest, he is the best DT we have. I hate to say it because the young and hungrier players may need to develop more quickly due to Hunt's lack of intensity; however, I don't think anyone can argue the man's ability. (Make that "untapped" ability)

I'm glad to see Bates and Sherman putting in Williams with the starters. Hopefully Hunt will see that his position won't be given to him and he has to work for it.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just hope Hunt doesn't think he is being rested for the regular season, ala last year when they sat him because of his sh!tty play and he thought they were saving him for the playoffs! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:

Man, if Bates could get to him so that Cletidus gave 100% it could turn the whole D around. Pressure on the QB makes DBs look a whole lot better. :-?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts