Barrington and Montgomery not able to participate in OTA drills

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m not holding my breath about Thomas being able to significantly improve his performance.
Thomas beat out some (IMO) pretty good LBs , to be here now... So i wont underestimate him quite yet. Even though he was less than ok last year. again, IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thomas beat out some (IMO) pretty good LBs , to be here now... So i wont underestimate him quite yet. Even though he was less than ok last year. again, IMO.

I agree, I'm a realist with him and don't expect stud...but we must remember he was basically a rookie thrown in the fire last year....while his head sunk below the water line a decent amount he did keep coming back up and didn't drown. We don't need him to grow into an all around LB...just continue to refine his coverage skills and reads and be that cover type guy used rotationally.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Count me as a Thomas supporter. Not great but I don't hold the same expectations of rookies as many others on this forum.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Count me as a Thomas supporter. Not great but I don't hold the same expectations of rookies as many others on this forum.

Guapo, Martinez definitely comes into this year as polished as Thomas was last year at worst case. I think there could come a day where a package of Martinez and Thomas is a real likelihood...great against the pass and if Martinez shows enough nack for run stopping it could be a real good 3rd down package when other teams run 2 TE's or only 2 WR sets.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

As you know, I agree with you regarding the treatment of ILB depth. I've been seemingly alone in my concern with S depth at well, a factor generally ignored because of the proven performance level of the starters. Of course, when you have to go to the bench, the quality of the starters is irrelevant.

I agree that it's justified to be concerned about the depth at safety. I think that it has been mistly ignored because the starters at the position are rock solid while there's a lot of uncertainty on who will get the majority of the snaps at inside linebacker.

I think there could come a day where a package of Martinez and Thomas is a real likelihood...great against the pass and if Martinez shows enough nack for run stopping it could be a real good 3rd down package when other teams run 2 TE's or only 2 WR sets.

Martinez and Thomas have a similar skill set best suited to play Will linebacker. They shouldn't be on the field together as it makes more sensehaving a better run defender playing next to either of them.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that it's justified to be concerned about the depth at safety. I think that it has been mistly ignored because the starters at the position are rock solid while there's a lot of uncertainty on who will get the majority of the snaps at inside linebacker.

Martinez and Thomas have a similar skill set best suited to play Will linebacker. They shouldn't be on the field together as it makes more sensehaving a better run defender playing next to either of them.

I get that...and I realized then I said 2 WR sets. Together they'd be a better package against split TE type teams or packages where the opposing team also split backs. It would be a rare package due to both being more Will...but there could be a day where if both mature in their play we could see.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I get that...and I realized then I said 2 WR sets. Together they'd be a better package against split TE type teams or packages where the opposing team also split backs. It would be a rare package due to both being more Will...but there could be a day where if both mature in their play we could see.

I would be extremely concerned about teams running against that formation.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with any rookie, Martinez needs to quickly learn the playbook, study film, and put it all together with his athleticism on the field. Thomas has an important leg up in that category with one year of experience. Like everyone else I'm hoping for immediate hope but realistic in thinking that, especially with a draft and develop team, help typically comes 2-3 years after the need is identified.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Like everyone else I'm hoping for immediate hope but realistic in thinking that, especially with a draft and develop team, help typically comes 2-3 years after the need is identified.

Unfortunately inside linebacker has been in need of an upgrade for four years running.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with any rookie, Martinez needs to quickly learn the playbook, study film, and put it all together with his athleticism on the field. Thomas has an important leg up in that category with one year of experience. Like everyone else I'm hoping for immediate hope but realistic in thinking that, especially with a draft and develop team, help typically comes 2-3 years after the need is identified.

Your hesitation is why I said Ryan wouldn't see much field time...but the kid grew a ton last year and seemed to really be starting to see the game at the faster speed it is in the NFL. Granted Martinez will be expected to perhaps make more reads as far as coverage and such, but I wouldn't see why Martinez shouldn't be able to contribute somewhat to the same degree Ryan did in his rookie year.

I don't expect rookie of the year...shoot perhaps not even rookie of the year on the Packers (I think Clark has best chance...with Spriggs also if injuries (knock on wood) )....but I do expect contributions to come from Martinez and don't be shocked if by the year's end he has fully locked himself into most Dime packages in the middle....

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the beauty and curse of being drafted by a team in need. You get a better chance of starting earlier, but I'm convinced that in the NFL only the elite truly succeed in their first year when thrown into the fire. It's chicken or egg about whether you get to where you need to be faster by learning then playing or experiencing early on. I suppose it's centered around each player more than a specific model of success. Hopefully each team can accurately assess who can start early and who needs a year or two with their nose in the book before showcasing their talents.

H

HardRightEdge

I've heard some reports Joe Thomas looks much more fluid and stacked this year...off season training regiment change...who knows maybe he shocks some people.
It's what's upstairs that seems to be lacking. His play recognition even in the limited dime role was poor. Just reacting after the ball is thrown doesn't quite cut it.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree, I'm a realist with him and don't expect stud...but we must remember he was basically a rookie thrown in the fire last year....
He was on the practice squad for half of 2014. He was in position for a second year jump at least toward the end of 2015.

What you want to see is the kind of progress evident with Pennel, where improvement was obvious from the first snap in preseason in year 2 and on through to the end of that year.

Reaction score
I don't think it's too much cause for concern just yet. These players put an intense amount of stress on their bodies both in the weight room and in practicing and many of these guys have had relatively serious surgeries/injuries less than a year ago.
My guess Is were holding back some players in an effort to allow as much recovery time as possible which is practicing prudence.
I think we will gradually see more players activated for practice as we ramp up for the preseason

Members online

Latest posts