Bakhtiari's price set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Midway into the season, this looks to be true. Bulaga has missed games and been nagged by various injuries all season. He is currently questionable with a back injury.
His body is breaking down. Not resigning him was the right move
The main thing is that we have not needed him. We have been fine.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't have the injury fear nearly as much with Bahk, but more the fear of paying a guy close to $22 M/year and how that effects the rest of the roster.

Bakhtiari has had his share of injuries over the past two seasons being hampered by a back issue last season and missing several games with a chest injury this year. The Packers should take that into consideration when making a decision on re-signing him.

Things potentially get very dicey on the O-Line next year if we have neither Linsely or Bakhtiari under contract. The only way I can fathom that happening is if the staff thinks they have an adequate center behind Linsely and either Yosh Nijman is ready to play or Jenkins/Turner can adequately play LT.

I'm convinced Linsley will be gone next season. The Packers would need to replace Bakhtiari with a player currently not on the roster if they decide to move on from him.

Nah, we already have a great kicker...and he's cheap too.:D

The Packers finally signed a street free agent kicker to replace Crosby??? ;)

You have to consider that the Packers didn't face any dominant defenses over the past few games Bakhtiari missed.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Players come and players go. Bulaga, Sitton and Lang. The key is to have a good pipeline in place where fresh players are ready to contribute. The fact that Rick Wagner and 3 draft picks entered the scene are not unrelated to the contract expirations of Bakhtiari and Linsely.

I’m not sure how much stock to put in pff grades but Wagner and Lucas Patrick are both grading out well. Linsely has been phenomenal, Bakhtiari just about equal, and Turner and Jenkins above average as well. Turner’s versatility has saved the day with our injury situation. I’m amazed at the level of success of this unit with all the movement of personnel within it during the first half of the season. Adam Stenavich gets a tip of the hat from me.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We obviously have no idea where the Packers and Bakhtiari are in terms of contract negotiations, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that chest injury has significantly reduced the chances of him being a Packer next year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We obviously have no idea where the Packers and Bakhtiari are in terms of contract negotiations, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that chest injury has significantly reduced the chances of him being a Packer next year.
Hard to say. Injuries aren’t going to help him in a contract year. The cap decline is also going to play a role in all this however it only takes one team to set the new market rate.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
it only takes one team to set the new market rate.

Spot on. Sounds like at one point the Packers were trying to resign him early and were a few million short of his ask. As swhitset pointed out, I think the chest injury might make some teams, including the Packers think a lot harder about giving a 30 year old LT a $22+M/year deal. However, like you said, it probably wont matter what any team but the highest bidder thinks he is worth.

D

Deleted member 6794

Players come and players go. Bulaga, Sitton and Lang. The key is to have a good pipeline in place where fresh players are ready to contribute. The fact that Rick Wagner and 3 draft picks entered the scene are not unrelated to the contract expirations of Bakhtiari and Linsely.

Once again, I wouldn't feel comfortable about any of the players currently on the roster being considered the long term solution to protect Rodgers' blind side.

One of them will replace Linsley starting next season though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Once again, I wouldn't feel comfortable about any of the players currently on the roster being considered the long term solution to protect Rodgers' blind side.

One of them will replace Linsley starting next season though.
I wouldn’t be shocked, but I would be mildly surprised if management lets both Bakhtiari and Linsely leave without a strong fight. That would be uncharacteristic of Packer management to let 40% leave of the O-line leave at once. I just don’t think free agents are in a very strong negotiating position with a declining cap.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be shocked, but I would be mildly surprised if management lets both Bakhtiari and Linsely leave without a strong fight. That would be uncharacteristic of Packer management to let 40% leave of the O-line leave at once. I just don’t think free agents are in a very strong negotiating position with a declining cap.
there are several teams in good cap shape next season...the Packers just aren't one of them. at this point they're over the $175m guess for next season with only 36 guys under contract. bakh is gone is my guess. put jenkins there.

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On second thought lets not go to Camelot

Tis a bold place.

I tried to do the meme thing but I'm on my phone and messed it up.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers front office definitely wouldn't feel comfortable about letting both Bakhtiari and Linsley walk away in free agency but with limited cap space available next offseason they might not be able to re-sign one of them.

I don’t see any scenario in which Bakh isn’t back.

Well, how do you create the cap space necessary to re-sign Bakhtiari???

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I'll try and watch Linsley more carefully on those short yardage and goal line downs. It seems to me that he does not get any push. In fact sometimes he just gets stood up.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers front office definitely wouldn't feel comfortable about letting both Bakhtiari and Linsley walk away in free agency but with limited cap space available next offseason they might not be able to re-sign one of them.

I think the time is certainly ripe for one of those two to leave. Runyon’s progress possibly helps makes it more likely to be Linsely leaving.

If the staff feels that OT can be reasonably well manned by Turner, Jenkins, Wagner and Nijmen next year plus whatever may come in the draft, they may make a harder push for Linsely and let Bakhtiari see if he can get that 22M somewhere else. I’ll be surprised if he gets it.I think all free agent salaries are coming down at least 10% from last year’s mid March signings. I’d be mildly surprised if he broke 20M barrier per year but it only takes one desperado with more cap than brains to do it.

Edit: this post needed clarification. Have made changes.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

You would have to clear some space via other veteran contracts (Kirksey, Lowry, Wagner, for example) and backload the hits so that his 2021 figure is kept lower.

An extension for Adams could also potentially be a way of finding some cap relief in '21. If he got 20M/season, but they kept his 2021 number at, say, 12, it would free up 4.6M in space next year.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the time is certainly ripe for one of those two to leave. Runyon’s progress possibly helps makes it more likely to be Linsely leaving if the staff feels that OT can be reasonably well manned by Turner, Jenkins, Wagner and Nijmen next year plus whatever may come in the draft.

Fwiw, Duke Manyweather, who is very good with OL said that a lot of teams prior to the draft thought RT would be Jenkins best position.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the staff feels that OT can be reasonably well manned by Turner, Jenkins, Wagner and Nijmen next year plus whatever may come in the draft, they may make a harder push for Linsely and let Bakhtiari see if he can get that 22M somewhere else.

The Packers shouldn't feel comfortable about any of the players you mentioned to adequately replace Bakhtiari. With limited cap space available next offseason the team would all but be forced to use their first rounder on a left tackle if they decide to let him walk in free agency.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of re-signing Bakhtiari but it will be difficult to fit his contract under the cap. In addition him being injured last and this season should result in the Packers being hesitant to offer him a huge deal.

I don't see any need to spend big bucks on a center next offseason.

You would have to clear some space via other veteran contracts (Kirksey, Lowry, Wagner, for example) and backload the hits so that his 2021 figure is kept lower.

An extension for Adams could also potentially be a way of finding some cap relief in '21. If he got 20M/season, but they kept his 2021 number at, say, 12, it would free up 4.6M in space next year.

With the Packers projected to be $8 million over the cap by filling out the bottom of the roster solely with rookies making the minimum those moves would hardly be enough to re-sign Bakhtiari.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I'm in favor of re-signing Bakhtiari but it will be difficult to fit his contract under the cap. In addition him being injured last and this season should result in the Packers being hesitant to offer him a huge deal.

If the Packers do resign Bahk, its going to have to be under a contract that shoves a lot of money out into the future. They could do that with a number of players, but they also need to keep an eye on the following year (2022) when Davante and JA will both have expiring contracts. Obviously, they can exercise JA's 5th year, but that won't be cheap either.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With the Packers projected to be $8 million over the cap by filling out the bottom of the roster solely with rookies making the minimum those moves would hardly be enough to re-sign Bakhtiari.

The cuts would have to be really significant.

Most likely, Amos, Kirksey, Wagner, P. Smith, and Lowry would all have to be let go. Combined, they would clear 26M in space.

Furthermore, you'd probably need to create yet more room via an Adams extension and/or a restructure of Z. Smith's contract.

And of course, you'd have room for very little else. Little to nothing in free agency. Let King, Jones, Linsley walk, etc.

It could be done. I'm not sure if they will or if they should, but it's possible.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers do resign Bahk, its going to have to be under a contract that shoves a lot of money out into the future. They could do that with a number of players, but they also need to keep an eye on the following year (2022) when Davante and JA will both have expiring contracts. Obviously, they can exercise JA's 5th year, but that won't be cheap either.

Like it or not, the Packers will be forced to backload contracts to re-sign some of their own free agents.

They could create additional cap space by extending Adams a year early.

FYI Alexander would have received $10.244 million if the Packers exercised the fifth year option on him this year.

The cuts would have to be really significant.

Most likely, Amos, Kirksey, Wagner, P. Smith, and Lowry would all have to be let go. Combined, they would clear 26M in space.

Furthermore, you'd probably need to create yet more room via an Adams extension and/or a restructure of Z. Smith's contract.

And of course, you'd have room for very little else. Little to nothing in free agency. Let King, Jones, Linsley walk, etc.

It could be done. I'm not sure if they will or if they should, but it's possible.

The Packers could create more cap space by converting Rodgers' base salary, roster and workout bonuses for 2021 into a signing bonus than with any other move ($17.6 million).

That should actually be a no-brainer for both sides but with the cap hit being spread out over the next five seasons it would make drafting Love this year even more suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts