Bakhtiari's price set?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking too, and I wouldn't be counting on a HomeTown discount either

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
20M is fair. It puts him at the top of the market, where he belongs, but it doesn't necessitate paying him the outlier money that Tunsil got.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pretty sure we already offered him 18m a year and were quite a bit short of what he was looking for, but i could be mistaken

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing how our OTs do this weekend. So far they have looked good. I don't think any one position can be blamed for the Tampa fiasco. More like we did not understand how disruptive and how flexible their linebackers were. Why? I have no idea. But those guys have to be game planned for. When they are blitzing and from where and who is semi filling in for their coverage responsibilities when they blitz.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
pretty sure we already offered him 18m a year and were quite a bit short of what he was looking for, but i could be mistaken
I think he’s wanting 22M per year. It’s a matter of meeting in the middle maybe. The obstacle right now may be bonus money and length of contract. I’d be nervous about getting into the free agent market next spring if I were a player with a contract expiring.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing how our OTs do this weekend. So far they have looked good. I don't think any one position can be blamed for the Tampa fiasco. More like we did not understand how disruptive and how flexible their linebackers were. Why? I have no idea. But those guys have to be game planned for. When they are blitzing and from where and who is semi filling in for their coverage responsibilities when they blitz.

this weekend may not be a good test though
the vikings pass rush now consists of..........
can anyone fill in the blank, because i can't :laugh:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I no longer get upset when someone tells me I'm not a 'real fan'. I'm starting to think it's more a force of habit from having started as a Packer fan in the late 50s. Now, and obviously for a long time, it is and has been tough to really identify with someone who has already made $52 million and wants to argue that $18 million PER YEAR isn't enough.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I no longer get upset when someone tells me I'm not a 'real fan'. I'm starting to think it's more a force of habit from having started as a Packer fan in the late 50s. Now, and obviously for a long time, it is and has been tough to really identify with someone who has already made $52 million and wants to argue that $18 million PER YEAR isn't enough.

yeah, it's hard to identify with as regular people
but it's not unjustified
you're worth what the market says you're worth, and settling for significantly less than the market says you're worth is just foolish and puts your peers in an uncomfortable position

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does not bother me when I think about how the owners took advantage of players for so many years. I would prefer to have continuity on my team but that could only be done in a world where the owners would be fair because of their basic humanity or we don't give players any choices. Don't see the first happening and the second is just not right. I think the NFL is doing about as good a job as they can right now. Why should the owners make all the dough? I don't feel too sorry for them.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A lot of it is that the players union pushes pretty hard for these guys to try to get their top dollar, because it impacts everybody below them. So if the top OT is getting $20 million a year, then a mid tier one will be getting $10 million.

Sure, it’s most likely more money than they need and we can’t relate, but would you rather the owners pocket all that difference? The people who are the best at what they do generally make a lot of money, especially if there’s a high demand and low supply. Basic Econ.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, it's hard to identify with as regular people
but it's not unjustified
you're worth what the market says you're worth, and settling for significantly less than the market says you're worth is just foolish and puts your peers in an uncomfortable position

I totally agree with this except for the "foolish" part. Yes, a home town discount of a million of two is a couple million real dollars which is money even if you already banked $50 million but... really? In ten years time, that 2 mil is in some investment and, in fact, just a forgotten difference in your very big net worth number in contrast to being forever known as the 'super bowl winner' because the team spent that money on a better DT or ILB or whomever.

Sure, it's easy for me to say 'pass up a few bucks for glory', but I confess that I am truly struck by how few players are willing to trade $20 mil for $18 mil and getting a strong shot at being the champion.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree with this except for the "foolish" part. Yes, a home town discount of a million of two is a couple million real dollars which is money even if you already banked $50 million but... really? In ten years time, that 2 mil is in some investment and, in fact, just a forgotten difference in your very big net worth number in contrast to being forever known as the 'super bowl winner' because the team spent that money on a better DT or ILB or whomever.

Sure, it's easy for me to say 'pass up a few bucks for glory', but I confess that I am truly struck by how few players are willing to trade $20 mil for $18 mil and getting a strong shot at being the champion.

if players could say "hey GM, i'll give up this 2 million dollars if you put it towards signing this specific other player that i want on the team"
more would do that sort of thing
and maybe that happens in some cases behind closed doors
but i don't think that's the case or even close to it most of the time

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The problem isn’t that Bakhtiari is trying to make a lot of money.

The problem is that a lot of Americans have imbibed the nonsense that we need to somehow artificially limit the ability of top earners to make lots of money.

If you think it’s immoral, then stop watching, supporting, contributing. Otherwise, you’re a flaming hypocrite.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of it is that the players union pushes pretty hard for these guys to try to get their top dollar, because it impacts everybody below them. So if the top OT is getting $20 million a year, then a mid tier one will be getting $10 million.

Sure, it’s most likely more money than they need and we can’t relate, but would you rather the owners pocket all that difference? The people who are the best at what they do generally make a lot of money, especially if there’s a high demand and low supply. Basic Econ.
With the salary cap in place the owners wouldn’t necessarily pocket anything more... but the team might be able to keep more of their players without having to cut them for cheaper players.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the salary cap in place the owners wouldn’t necessarily pocket anything more... but the team might be able to keep more of their players without having to cut them for cheaper players.

Potentially. But like I said, the players union is very against it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Potentially. But like I said, the players union is very against it.

I don't believe there's any truth to it as teams are forced to spend a combined 95% of the cap in cash over several multi-year periods of the current CBA. In addition every team needs to at least pay out 89% of the cap in cash in each of those periods as well.

Therefore money saved on a top tier player will be spend on other ones.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem isn’t that Bakhtiari is trying to make a lot of money.

The problem is that a lot of Americans have imbibed the nonsense that we need to somehow artificially limit the ability of top earners to make lots of money.

If you think it’s immoral, then stop watching, supporting, contributing. Otherwise, you’re a flaming hypocrite.

Immoral, probably not (although not a bad thought). I don't think there ought to be that much money involved at all, as a great deal of it comes from advertising, and that either isn't or shouldn't be as valuable as it was pre-information age (another discussion). And, really, if they do what they get paid to do, I'm not nearly as upset. What irks me with pro sports is watching (check that, following) today's game and knowing that a bunch of those guys are making obscene money and doing a very poor job. I feel the same way about CEOs and golden parachutes or major college coaches, and pro (e.g., GMs and DCs).

I agree that, were I to do anything that directly contributes to the pot of money, I'd lose most credibility. But, since I don't, I don't see the conflict.

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the Ravens aren't going to be getting their money's worth out of Stanley this year. Out for the year with an ankle injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that, were I to do anything that directly contributes to the pot of money, I'd lose most credibility. But, since I don't, I don't see the conflict.

As soon as you turn on the TV to watch the Packers play you contribute to the NFL creating revenue.

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have the best left tackle in the game, at a position that is not easy to fill, the answer is simple, you pay the man. He’ll be an elite LT for the next 4 years at least so you pay him like it, or watch someone else do so, and then struggle to fill the position. OL is the second most important position group behind the QB, your team goes as the OL goes, simple as that. Pay the man!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have the best left tackle in the game, at a position that is not easy to fill, the answer is simple, you pay the man. He’ll be an elite LT for the next 4 years at least so you pay him like it, or watch someone else do so, and then struggle to fill the position. OL is the second most important position group behind the QB, your team goes as the OL goes, simple as that. Pay the man!

I one hundred percent agree we need to pay him but there is zero way to think we can for sure get 4 more years out of him at his age and that position. He is at that point we give a 3 to 4 year contract and are VERY happy if he gives us 2 healthy solid years...and pray we get a serviceable 3rd and/or 4th.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You do know the Packers are working on an extension for Bakhtiari don’t you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts