Bakhtiari's price set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

When you have the best left tackle in the game, at a position that is not easy to fill, the answer is simple, you pay the man. He’ll be an elite LT for the next 4 years at least so you pay him like it, or watch someone else do so, and then struggle to fill the position. OL is the second most important position group behind the QB, your team goes as the OL goes, simple as that. Pay the man!

Unfortunately with the Packers currently projected to be $8 million over the cap for next season it's not as easy as simply pay Bakhtiari whatever he asks for.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately with the Packers currently projected to be $8 million over the cap for next season it's not as easy as simply pay Bakhtiari whatever he asks for.
Agree. Should never pay exactly what the agent is asking for. For any player.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In a vacuum, yes the Packers would pay to keep the best left tackle. Cap space, other positions, and whether or not we have a capable backup plays a role. This season I have seen the Packers offensive line play without Bakhtiari without skipping much of a beat. Considering all of our needs, I am a proponent for letting him walk with the personal understanding that all things equal, we would keep him in a heartbeat.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm at the point now with the way our Defense is playing - cutting one of the Smiths in order to keep Bahk I'm fine with. Yes we have trench issues iDL/DE spots BUT how many bounces outside have we seen ran against us time and time again.

One of the Smiths and/or Amos are gone after this year, calling it now.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. We haven't set the edge well in years. Against SF last year, the sack brothers kept rushing inside to hit the QB leaving the edges open all game. Since they measure every stat in the world, they should setup incentive clauses in DE and OLB contracts stating that they get equal pay bumps for setting the edge and forcing a ball carrier back inside. Maybe money is the only thing that will get these guys to do their complete job.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. We haven't set the edge well in years. Against SF last year, the sack brothers kept rushing inside to hit the QB leaving the edges open all game. Since they measure every stat in the world, they should setup incentive clauses in DE and OLB contracts stating that they get equal pay bumps for setting the edge and forcing a ball carrier back inside. Maybe money is the only thing that will get these guys to do their complete job.

And let's be honest...Blake may have had limitations but the dude could clean up tackles if pushed inside.

D

Deleted member 6794

This season I have seen the Packers offensive line play without Bakhtiari without skipping much of a beat.

The Vikings were able to consistently pressure Rodgers without having to blitz. Gutekunst better has a solid backup plan in place if he decides to let Bakhtiari walk away in free agency next offseason. In my opinion there's currently no other offensive lineman on the roster capable of adequately replacing him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings were able to consistently pressure Rodgers without having to blitz. Gutekunst better has a solid backup plan in place if he decides to let Bakhtiari walk away in free agency next offseason. In my opinion there's currently no other offensive lineman on the roster capable of adequately replacing him.
I don't think the Oline has looked as good without BakhT. They had nobody on that MN line and Rodgers was constantly moved off his spot. Against a good front line he would have been running for his life and maybe not surviving. They seemed OK against the Texans, but they're not exactly a juggernaut either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst better has a solid backup plan in place if he decides to let Bakhtiari walk away in free agency next offseason.
No team has a solid plan for replacing a star. That's fantasy not football. The question is does he have a plan beyond Turner and Wagner.

The Vikings only sacked Rodgers once, the last play of the game, and hit him twice. Most of the time he was under pressure was when he was holding onto the ball longer than 2.5 seconds. The O-line was fine but certainly not stellar. It harkened back to the days of McCarthy's offense, when Rodgers waits too long for WRs to get open but they never do. The play calls need to be more creative to work with what we've got.

I think that the Packers can get along with a Billy Turner or Wagner at LT in the short term, draft a replacement, and spend their remaining cap space on another position of great need such as WR, DL, ILB, or safety.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
please no Wagner at LT :) He looks serviceable on the right side. Turner seems to be much more adaptable to various positions. Heck, I think he's better out at T than he was a G.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No team has a solid plan for replacing a star. That's fantasy not football. The question is does he have a plan beyond Turner and Wagner.

The Vikings only sacked Rodgers once, the last play of the game, and hit him twice. Most of the time he was under pressure was when he was holding onto the ball longer than 2.5 seconds. The O-line was fine but certainly not stellar. It harkened back to the days of McCarthy's offense, when Rodgers waits too long for WRs to get open but they never do. The play calls need to be more creative to work with what we've got.

I think that the Packers can get along with a Billy Turner or Wagner at LT in the short term, draft a replacement, and spend their remaining cap space on another position of great need such as WR, DL, ILB, or safety.

What I saw was the Vikings repeatedly forcing Roger's off his spot, early and often.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I saw was the Vikings repeatedly forcing Roger's off his spot, early and often.
that was my feeling during the game as well. he wasn't pummeled, but I think harassed would be a good term. I don't think many of the plays were run as designed because they didn't go as designed quite often from a timing perspective. and we're NOT great in the pass catching dept. We have to have good Oline play and i think our pass catchers become at least adequate in terms of this team making a push at the end.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I no longer get upset when someone tells me I'm not a 'real fan'. I'm starting to think it's more a force of habit from having started as a Packer fan in the late 50s. Now, and obviously for a long time, it is and has been tough to really identify with someone who has already made $52 million and wants to argue that $18 million PER YEAR isn't enough.

If it helps, I stopped thinking about it as "real" money, rather just numbers entered on a spread sheet that all have to add up to meet certain criteria's each season. Kind of like I don't really care what Lamborghini is charging for their latest model.

Knowing that Bahk will someday make 22 million widgets helps me to sleep better. :D

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, there is not one player on the Packers' o-line that can hold their head with pride after Sunday. Jenkins got schooled repeatedly, pushed backwards, and outshined by equal "no-names." Linsley and Patrick also struggled both in pass pro and the run. Since the Vikings didn't have the horses, they made halftime adjustments and dialed up the stunts and blitzes. According to the Star Tribune, Rodgers average time holding the ball was 1.5 seconds in Week1 and 2.5 seconds in Week 2.

To be clear, there was an overall effort issue on Sunday. It was cold and windy on Sunday, but the coaches sure as s**t should not be letting the hot temps in Tampa and San Fran or the cold temps at Lambeau become excuses for why we struggle.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel the same way about CEOs and golden parachutes or major college coaches, and pro (e.g., GMs and DCs).

Related, I recall reading that Gooddell got $37 million last year.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Related, I recall reading that Gooddell got $37 million last year.
That is way different from the absurd golden parachute money some of these CEOs get, even when their company is on the blink sometimes. It really is obscene. And I don't understand how seemingly good businessmen can give away that kind of money. Part of it is that it is a good old boy network I believe.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of it is that it is a good old boy network I believe.
No, it's mostly plain old economics. Over time (decades), a basic effect has snowballed. You have to pay what the market dictates for a CEO. Each company wants the best and pays for it. The best way to think of the CEO market is to think of it as NFL player salaries without a salary cap. Without that cap, the numbers just keep multiplying and multiplying. When 3M or GE or Delta or any company you choose needs to replace their CEO, they have to pay or top the market rate. Therefore CEO salaries, bonuses, and golden parachutes keep escalating out of control.

As for the Packers' salary cap, they will have to clear some players in order to sign one of their good ones.

D

Deleted member 6794

No team has a solid plan for replacing a star. That's fantasy not football.

If the Packers decide to let Bakhtiari walk away in free agency next offseason Gutekunst better comes up with a solid backup plan to replace him.

Otherwise other moves won't matter if the offensive line can't protect Rodgers' blind side.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/green-bay-packers/

Is there any way we can keep him for next year? I don't see a way we can re-sign him or anybody of importance until at least 2022.

Yes, there is a way to keep Bakhtiari and even Jones on top of it. The Packers either need to release other players or restructure existing contracts to create cap space.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is way different from the absurd golden parachute money some of these CEOs get, even when their company is on the blink sometimes. It really is obscene. And I don't understand how seemingly good businessmen can give away that kind of money. Part of it is that it is a good old boy network I believe.

No, it's mostly plain old economics. Over time (decades), a basic effect has snowballed. You have to pay what the market dictates for a CEO. Each company wants the best and pays for it. The best way to think of the CEO market is to think of it as NFL player salaries without a salary cap. Without that cap, the numbers just keep multiplying and multiplying. When 3M or GE or Delta or any company you choose needs to replace their CEO, they have to pay or top the market rate. Therefore CEO salaries, bonuses, and golden parachutes keep escalating out of control.

Why not both? Obscene and how the market works.

Huge amounts of money for a good manager hardly seems justifiable except for the simple concept of free and voluntary transactions. If the NFL owners are known for one thing it is their love of money, and they would never pay this kind of money if they didn't have to, but apparently this is actually the market price.

Is the CEO worth it for what he does? No. Another guy at half the price would be pretty good at the job (I, for one, would take on the task for, say, 1/4 of his salary). It is a good value proposition only if the buyer believes the marginal quality is worth the huge price, and in this case they do.

Meanwhile, it is still reasonable to say "to hell with all that, $37 million for Roger Goodell!?!??!"

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL is huge and I think Goodell does a very good job. Golden parachutes for CEOs whose company is to go bankrupt is immoral imho. There are huge debts owed. That is a game not at all good for the country and is not imo in the true spirit of capitalism.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So Bahk has missed what 3+ games now? How much has the offensive line declined in his absence? While there has been a bit of a drop-off, I don't think its been as glaring as some feared. I'm haven't fully come to terms with this, but what if they let Bahk walk in Free Agency? That frees up a boatload of cap space to do other things. Not to mention the potential of a high Comp pick in 2022. I realize he is one of, if not the best LT in the game, but he is hitting 30 next year and his contract is going to be huge. Are we a better team with him or better team by using the money elsewhere?

Pros and Cons?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we can fill the spot. And maybe have a better run game to the left and definitely have money for other positions. But we cannot take it lightly and probably have to spend some money on the position so as not to try and rely on the draft.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Bahk has missed what 3+ games now? How much has the offensive line declined in his absence? While there has been a bit of a drop-off, I don't think its been as glaring as some feared. I'm haven't fully come to terms with this, but what if they let Bahk walk in Free Agency? That frees up a boatload of cap space to do other things. Not to mention the potential of a high Comp pick in 2022. I realize he is one of, if not the best LT in the game, but he is hitting 30 next year and his contract is going to be huge. Are we a better team with him or better team by using the money elsewhere?

Pros and Cons?
Ive been wondering the same thing.... The offensive line is definitely not as good without Bakhtiari.... but I think right now a better defense would help a lot more than getting Him back in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts