At pick #30 corner a must!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always make a list of guys who I would be happy with at our #1 pick... Picking #30, the list gets long. And some players are out of range, but still must be listed, because if Jamis Winston, or Kevin White slipped to #30 and Teddy boy picked them up... I'd be stoked! lol Here we go.

We got Winston, Mariota, White, Cooper, Peat Scherff. Then Williams, Fowler, Shelton, Armstead.... I didnt do my homework. But knowing nothing, I know these guys will be gone by #30.

So I ask the guys who did their homework this year. Who would YOU like to see at #30?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't pay close enough to specific players. I just structure my draft into two halves: positions that I want drafted in the top 3 rounds and those in the 4-7th rounds. Therefore the best player available at DL, ILB, or CB are my top three rounds.

Of players that I've seen projected at #30 (Melvin Gordon and Maxx Williams), I'd be happier with Williams because he fits a high-round need and I've watched him play live many times. I'd be fine with Gordon too as I don't think that Lacy will last too many years, and they'd be a great 1-2 punch to balance with Aaron Rodgers and the WRs.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers should address CB, ILB and NT in the first three rounds. It's too difficult to predict which players will be on the board when the Packers are on the clock.

G

GhostofCurly

Going to need to spend some picks on the defense. One of the 3 needs at #30 or trade it down if possible and pick up an extra pick or two.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, while I would still want the Packers to take Goldman at 30 if he's there, I just listened to an interesting Podcast that featured one of the guys from ProFootball Focus. Apparently, they now run a site that tracks FBS players (it's not available to the public, only NFL teams). The CFF (as they call it) database allows teams to sort players by various things and then ONLY watch those plays that fit the criteria; i.e., you want to see how often linebacker X dropped into coverage, then you'll see every coverage play from the linebacker for the entire season, or if you want to see every intermediate pass route run by a RB, then you'll see every such play from a RB for the entire season. They also grade every player in a similar fashion to what they do for PFF.

Anyway, back to Goldman, the guy on the podcast said that draft picks should pretty much have high overall grades since they should be better players than most college players (hence the reason they're going to the NFL). However, he said Goldman barely graded positively for the season and the only game that he was significantly positively graded was against Louisville's center, a guy he said was one of the worst graded players in FBS last season. So, Goldman may not be as good as some think and, this is my opinion, it's possible he could just be benefiting from being the best dlineman on one of the most watched teams last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With Williams departing for Cleveland, CB is now #1 priority, followed closely by ILB and then NT. Depending on what happens between now and the draft, those 3 positions will/should be heavily drafted. My crystal ball is saying we resign Raji and potentially Guion, taking that position out of the immediate need category. Then we go after the best CB with our #1 and follow that up with the best ILB at #2

People who are still saying "draft the best player, whether its a QB, RB or WR" in my mind have blinders on to our real needs, defense. So, unless the Packlers are planning on trading a drafted QB, RB, WR, etc, taken in rounds 1 or 2, stick to what we need and trade up and down to get it if you have to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

With Williams departing for Cleveland, CB is now #1 priority, followed closely by ILB and then NT. Depending on what happens between now and the draft, those 3 positions will/should be heavily drafted. My crystal ball is saying we resign Raji and potentially Guion, taking that position out of the immediate need category. Then we go after the best CB with our #1 and follow that up with the best ILB at #2

ILB is still the #1 priority as of now. CB will have to be addressed early in the draft though as there aren´t any solid free agents available anymore.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
ILB is still the #1 priority as of now. CB will have to be addressed early in the draft though as there aren´t any solid free agents available anymore.

I agree that the two positions, CB and ILB are both high needs. Only reason I said CB first, is I think the draft stock is deeper at ILB and we still should be able to find one with our #2 pick.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that the two positions, CB and ILB are both high needs. Only reason I said CB first, is I think the draft stock is deeper at ILB and we still should be able to find one with out #2 pick.

Actually I think that aside of Kendricks and maybe Anthony none of the ILB prospects fit the Packers needs at the position. The depth at cornerback seems to be a little bit deeper.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im going to add TX DT Brown and big LSU CB Collins to my #30 wish list. Mich St CB TreaWaynes... I'd add Bama Safety Collins as well, even though its not likely... I might as well add Wis RB Gordon. We dont need to debate the Gordon pick again :) lol He is on my list though... 15 so far.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Marcus Peters or Jalen Collins are there for us at #30.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Im going to add TX DT Brown and big LSU CB Collins to my #30 wish list. Mich St CB TreaWaynes... I'd add Bama Safety Collins as well, even though its not likely... I might as well add Wis RB Gordon. We dont need to debate the Gordon pick again :) lol He is on my list though... 15 so far.

Waynes and Brown would be great picks in the first round but they´ll most likely be gone at #30. Picking Landon Collins wouldn´t make any sense either as he won´t be able to get on the field with Burnett coming of a great season. Jalen Collins would be a reach in the first round.

I hope Marcus Peters or Jalen Collins are there for us at #30.

Peters is a highly talented player but his character is a huge red flag.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ted will draft the BPA in each round or trade to the spot to get the guy he wants and at the end of the draft and signing of UDFA's he will have the candidates to fill the needs at ILB, CB and DL...... because that is what Ted Thompson does. He doesn't operate exactly like Ron Wolf. If Ted thinks he can further fix needs by adding a free agent at a team friendly price he will pursue that as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ted will draft the BPA in each round or trade to the spot to get the guy he wants and at the end of the draft and signing of UDFA's he will have the candidates to fill the needs at ILB, CB and DL...... because that is what Ted Thompson does. He doesn't operate exactly like Ron Wolf. If Ted thinks he can further fix needs by adding a free agent at a team friendly price he will pursue that as well.

I´ve never understood why a lot of posters think there are always several teams lining up to trade for the Packers pick once Thompson decides he wants to move down in the draft.

If that would be the case Aaron Rodgers would play for a different franchise.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm also not quite so sure that TT ALWAYS takes the best player on the board (if he can't trade down). I know its standard Ted speak, but do you really think the Packers are going to use their #1 on a QB, RB, WR or S if it happens that the best player on the board at #30 are one of those positions and an ILB or CB is sitting two spots back?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm also not quite so sure that TT ALWAYS takes the best player on the board (if he can't trade down). I know its standard Ted speak, but do you really think the Packers are going to use their #1 on a QB, RB, WR or S if it happens that the best player on the board at #30 are one of those positions and an ILB or CB is sitting two spots back?

Teams don´t rank prospects one after the other from 1-500 but in different tiers. Of course position of need factors into a pick if there are several players from one tier still on the board.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Ted will draft the BPA in each round or trade to the spot to get the guy he wants and at the end of the draft and signing of UDFA's he will have the candidates to fill the needs at ILB, CB and DL...... because that is what Ted Thompson does.
If you define "BPA" as best player available regardless of position IMO this is demonstrably false.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree with you both (Captain and TJV) which was what I was trying to point out to some people.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Waynes and Brown would be great picks in the first round but they´ll most likely be gone at #30. Picking Landon Collins wouldn´t make any sense either as he won´t be able to get on the field with Burnett coming of a great season. Jalen Collins would be a reach in the first round.

Peters is a highly talented player but his character is a huge red flag.
I name the guys who I would like, even though they will most likely be gone. More of a place holder on my list...

As far as the alabama safety Collins? I dont want to speculate... But what if Burnett is thinking he's getting a good raise, and Thompson thinks otherwise?

D

Deleted member 6794

As far as the alabama safety Collins? I dont want to speculate... But what if Burnett is thinking he's getting a good raise, and Thompson thinks otherwise?

Burnett is under contract through the 2017 season.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. ok. Well that i didnt realize. I know he is a long term plan too. I just want to look at this in a future concept as well as what we need for 2015. Wonder what he makes?

D

Deleted member 6794

. ok. Well that i didnt realize. I know he is a long term plan too. I just want to look at this in a future concept as well as what we need for 2015. Wonder what he makes?

Burnett signed a four-year, $24.75 million extension ($8.25 million signing bonus) in 2013 when he still had a season left on his rookie contract. He will earn close to $3.5 million this season, $4.4 million in 2016 and $5.35 million in 2017.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I see happening at pick #30...

Either we trade back and gather up extra draft picks, or we draft the best ILB, CB or DT available on our board. Prospects would include players like Eric Kendricks, Marcus Peters, Jalen Collins, Philips and Goldman.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I asked this in another topic, but why not Eric Rowe? Athletically he's better than Jalen Collins (who everybody seems to love) and he has more experience (Rowe played two years at safety for Utah and last year played corner).

Also, as a Florida Gator fan, the Packers need to avoid DJ Humphries at all costs.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts