Article on Rodgers Decline

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't get link to work, but it's easy to find. Go to www.cbssports.com . Front page or NFL section, click on what's wrong with Rodgers.
Well done, and he points out a part of the problem is lack of talent around him and -rightfully so IMO and others here- gives a chunk of blame to TT. And to MM for his 'vanilla' offences.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's the link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...e-11-stats-to-know-for-week-3-of-2016-season/

Now look at the clip provided as an example, Adams' endzone slant. Adams stutter steps to nearly full stop before the break making it easy for the defender to cross his face. Note Cobb lollygagging in the flat...Adams is in either a targeted, called route with Cobb serving to pull his defender out of the play with Adams one-on-one, or it's a hot read to the blitzer's side. Note that Rodgers double clutches on that throw. The first clutch is because Adams is slow into the expected break. The throw reflects an expectation that Adams will come across at the 1 yard line and not stick into the end zone.

Being forced to clutch once tipped the defender to cross. How about a triple clutch waiting for Adams to clear where the defender would be way out of position? Easy right? Well, put your stop watch on this one and you'll see time has expired at 2.0 with the blind side rush. Further, MIN #54 is moving into the passing lane if the throw was to Adams on an extension of the route.

This is a timing play with the receiver having messed up the timing.

That this play would be called up is no surprise...Adams on the short slant has been a go-to route. But the guy is still inconsistent and unpredictable, much to my disappointment.

On other note: is Nelson still Nelson? Among his many skills, high on the list is his long speed. It has not yet been put to the test and thereby has not been demonstrated. And he's going to have take some throws in the danger zone to keep defenders honest, something the Packers appear unwilling to do at this point. Nelson needs to find his sea legs, or if he already has them be allowed to use them. Think about how Roethlisberger without Antonio Brown or his off years with a less than stellar receiving crew.

That said, Cook should be used more. But with his camp injury, Rodgers hasn't had much work with him. Perhaps that will work heavier into the mix as we move along.

The more I look at these exemplary clips, the more I think those concerned Rodgers looks and that seeming lack of confidence is more a matter of "what are these guys doing?" than "what am I doing?"

Last edited by a moderator:

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking back on it now, I think many of us (myself included) never appreciated the stellar receiving corps we had early in Rodgers' career. Jennings in his prime, a younger Nelson and JJ, an older but still effective Driver, and an inconsistent but still better than average TE in Finley. Now we effectively have Nelson, who I fear will never be the same after his injury, and Cobb, who has been a major disappointment since signing his big deal. I've lost almost all faith in Davante- and the coaching staff must really see something wrong with JA and Janis if they can't beat him out.

I'm a little confused about why Ty Montgomery hasn't been used more. He looked good before his injury last year.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree about our WR corps. I think I vastly overrated our talent at that position throughout last season.

I've had a major mancrush on Mike Williams at Clemson for the last several seasons. So fun to watch. Hoping the stars align so Arod is throwing the kid passes for a few years.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is all fine, but it seems simple to me. If you do not have the personnel to run the play, either A) call different plays or B) use different players.

We seem unwilling to do either. That to me becomes a coaching issue.

OP
OP
P

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of cracks are begining to show, and I doubt this crew has anything left to turn things around.
-lack of talent. I think the overall talent of this team has been overrated, especially at WR.
-at the top. TT is to blame for the above, and he clearly will not ever break through his self imposed glass ceiling in getting this team better. It's always about next year, next years cap, keeping young, etc. Too much small ball, not enough go for it.
-MM; I think it's time to say he's in over his head now. No answers, nothing left in the bag of tricks, too vanilla, been figured out. Too stale, and too stubborn to change."we'll look at the tape and get it fixed" has gotten old.
-time for changes at 1265 Lambeau.
It's been all about get double digit wins, get in the playoffs, keep the seats full and the cash registers ringing. But Super Bowl talk has been a lot of hot air, and a bill of goods sold to the fans.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Can't get link to work, but it's easy to find. Go to www.cbssports.com . Front page or NFL section, click on what's wrong with Rodgers.
Well done, and he points out a part of the problem is lack of talent around him and -rightfully so IMO and others here- gives a chunk of blame to TT. And to MM for his 'vanilla' offences.
What do you mean lack of talent? I thought the Packers WR's were light years ahead of the Vikings WR's?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how the narrative changes between now and 6-8 weeks from now. I think it will. This seasons struggles are different than last seasons and will get worked thru

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how the narrative changes between now and 6-8 weeks from now. I think it will. This seasons struggles are different than last seasons and will get worked thru
Nice to know I've got some help. :laugh:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What will happen is that a good percentage of the doom and gloomers now will say "There was never any doubt in my mind they would turn it around. They are too talented and MM is too good of a coach to stay down forever. they always start slow.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now look at the clip provided as an example, Adams' endzone slant. Adams stutter steps to nearly full stop before the break making it easy for the defender to cross his face. Note Cobb lollygagging in the flat...Adams is in either a targeted, called route with Cobb serving to pull his defender out of the play with Adams one-on-one, or it's a hot read to the blitzer's side. Note that Rodgers double clutches on that throw. The first clutch is because Adams is slow into the expected break. The throw reflects an expectation that Adams will come across at the 1 yard line and not stick into the end zone.

Being forced to clutch once tipped the defender to cross. How about a triple clutch waiting for Adams to clear where the defender would be way out of position? Easy right? Well, put your stop watch on this one and you'll see time has expired at 2.0 with the blind side rush. Further, MIN #54 is moving into the passing lane if the throw was to Adams on an extension of the route.

This is a timing play with the receiver having messed up the timing.

That this play would be called up is no surprise...Adams on the short slant has been a go-to route. But the guy is still inconsistent and unpredictable, much to my disappointment.

I agree that Rodgers had absolutely no chance of completing that pass to Adams. He should have thrown away the ball though especially considering it was a first down play.

Looking back on it now, I think many of us (myself included) never appreciated the stellar receiving corps we had early in Rodgers' career. Jennings in his prime, a younger Nelson and JJ, an older but still effective Driver, and an inconsistent but still better than average TE in Finley. Now we effectively have Nelson, who I fear will never be the same after his injury, and Cobb, who has been a major disappointment since signing his big deal. I've lost almost all faith in Davante- and the coaching staff must really see something wrong with JA and Janis if they can't beat him out.

I'm a little confused about why Ty Montgomery hasn't been used more. He looked good before his injury last year.

I don't believe the Packers' receiving corps lacks talent. Several other teams are more successful with inferior pass catchers. The unit is struggling because of a combination of Rodgers performing below expectations, a vanilla offensive scheme and lack of execution. I'm still optimistic the passing game is capable of getting back on track but I want to see signs of significant improvement today vs. a below average Lions defense.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What will happen is that a good percentage of the doom and gloomers now will say "There was never any doubt in my mind they would turn it around. They are too talented and MM is too good of a coach to stay down forever. they always start slow.

Come on, some of us Negative Nellies are never going to say anything like that. :) Also am not sure where the close quotes go - after 'around', 'forever', or 'slow'? That changes a lot.

We'll be just as happy to see it if they start playing like professionals, but even then, many of us aren't concerned about much of anything until the playoffs. With the Packer schedule and their division, even I don't expect them to be out of the postseason. What concerns me is their ability to stay in it then. With some seemingly great teams, they've managed to find a way to lose, sometimes embarrassingly, in 6 of 7 years, once it's one-and-done.

Finally, if you want to wait for a number of weeks to see that happen, why talk about it now? Most of us are discussing the current team and its play.

H

HardRightEdge

He's strictly a slot receiver. McCarthy has not used a lot of 4 wide this season, and when he does he likes having a TE in the slot.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks like we are actually changing up the playcalling and personnel packages. This is why we are winning. Show them something that forces them to change up their D.

Latest posts