Arrogant General Managers

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well as Cool Hand Luke said..."what we have here is a failure to communicate"

That....is probably the base for this upheaval....

Bob Harlan hired Ron Wolfe and gave him full authority over the team.

When he traded for Favre the trade hinged on Favre passing a physical...Because of the removal of most of Favres colon the Packer DR's FAILED Brett's physical, nullifying the trade.

Wolfe called the Dr's and told them to do what they have to do and pass Brett's physical....they did and as they say the rest is history..

Everything went through Wolfe and he solved the problems as they occurred...

This system established by Murphy has too many communication breakdowns and now the team is trying to get out from under his mistake and the system that has finally shown it's weakness...failure of communication between too many offices...

I remember an article written by Pete Dougherty that was about how this system was set up to fail...and now we see that failure...

Literally don't see specific examples in any of this post. Curious when you get a minute to provide them.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually don't understand any of the "failure to communicate" stuff that I keep hearing. If Rodgers wanted to be in the know about draft day, he should have been sitting next to Gute instead of at home drinking tequila. No other player in this game gets to be a part of the draft. Gute was even on record saying that drafting a quarterback in the early rounds of 2020 was a possibility:
https://lombardiave.com/2020/01/25/packers-pros-cons-qb-2020-nfl-draft/

Rodgers is a d-bag for ginning all of this up. He's a d-bag for not setting the record straight. I really would like him gone at this point....in return for a queen's ransom.

isocleas2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I met Ted in 2011 at Pasquales in DePere near where he lived. I went in for dinner with my dad and was shocked to find Ted sitting at the bar putting down one of their sandwiches. He shook our hands and talked to us for a minute or two before we respectfully left him to his meal. I must have watched a half dozen packer fans approach him and get the same treatment. The waitress said he came in most Fridays and always made time to talk to anyone who approached him.

Arrogant he was not.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well as Cool Hand Luke said..."what we have here is a failure to communicate"

That....is probably the base for this upheaval....

Bob Harlan hired Ron Wolfe and gave him full authority over the team.

When he traded for Favre the trade hinged on Favre passing a physical...Because of the removal of most of Favres colon the Packer DR's FAILED Brett's physical, nullifying the trade.

Wolfe called the Dr's and told them to do what they have to do and pass Brett's physical....they did and as they say the rest is history..

Everything went through Wolfe and he solved the problems as they occurred...

This system established by Murphy has too many communication breakdowns and now the team is trying to get out from under his mistake and the system that has finally shown it's weakness...failure of communication between too many offices...

I remember an article written by Pete Dougherty that was about how this system was set up to fail...and now we see that failure...

Wasnt the accident and intenstines.

It was hip condition that ended bo jackson career

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arrogant is not the correct word but TT was certainly not portrayed as a "people" person...gute has been portrayed as a disciple of TT and compared to him in that way. They both seem to be excellent scouts but poor manager's....since the job is called general manager I believe that managing part is pretty important

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Favre had Andrew Brandt to vent to.. Rodgers doesnt have anyone, or so I heard...

Maybe he went to Murphy woth stuff? Maybe to MM? But if he was really having issues, did he vent to anyone?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wanted to see Favre out the door?

Of course every piece of evidence, every first hand account contradicts this. There is absolutely no shred of evidence that supports this.

Rodgers, on the other hand, is arrogant. He thinks it's all about him. Not much of a team player.

Well I recall the rumors that got out saying Favre and TT were involved in a physical altercation in Tompson's office. Sometime after Favres big private jet return. Allegedly ending with Favre choking out TT...of course Favre would never admit this publicly and TT is gone so...but I heard it from someone who worked in the NFL for 20 years in a pretty prominent role.

The fight was supposedly over Ted's desire to push Favre out the door...so I don't really see how you say there's no evidence of that especially because at the time it was clear the FO had made the decision to go with Rodgers as their starter. Whatever you wanna call it but when Favre returned TT pushed him out. I mean that is exactly what happened in the end Favre was traded for far less than market value and the Rodgers era began

As for Rodgers being arrogant, was Michael Jordan arrogant?, Brett Favre? Tom Brady? Etc etc.

It's rare to find a star player of that level who is not arrogant. Not saying it's totally nessicary bit I do think that unwavering belief that they are better than everyone else. Allows for the confidence to in turn be that good

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre had Andrew Brandt to vent to.. Rodgers doesnt have anyone, or so I heard...

Maybe he went to Murphy woth stuff? Maybe to MM? But if he was really having issues, did he vent to anyone?

Favre also said he went to Bob Harlan as the guy he could 100% trust. And then Favre went on to speculate that he doesn't think Rodgers has that guy in the organization. I'm assuming he heard that from Rodgers. Just like Favres comment after the 2020 draft regarding the selection of Love and Rodgers feelings. Favre essentially says all the stuff Rodgers said to him when they spoke including this ominous bits...

"I would do all I could to not burn that bridge, and I don't think they did that. I think they burned a bridge that's going to be hard to overcome. At some point, I think it will rear its ugly head."

"I don't know this for certain, but I guarantee you, it's got the wheels turning in Aaron's mind. If that's the case, then that means there's a chip on his shoulder toward the organization that otherwise was not there. All he needs is a reason other than this reason to expedite that."

"They don't draft any weapons -- not just in the first round but any weapons that can help immediately, to my knowledge. And that just sends a disrespectful message to Aaron Rodgers," Favre said. "He has every right to be disappointed if he is."

These comments from Favre after talking to Rodgers were clearly a message to the Packers FO and anyone listening that there was a problem in GB and it was gonna get worse unless the Packers FO made a valiant effort to convince Rodgers otherwise.

Now I don't know how the Packers FO kept trying to maintain there was no issue between the team and Rodgers when everyone knew there was...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron is the guy I want as my team's QB, but is the type of guy when it comes to demeanor, arrogance and such I don't think I'd EVER want to have to manage. In a place of management, I've quickly learned the best workers are not always the best workers if you get what I mean you're probably in management as well.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I recall the rumors that got out saying Favre and TT were involved in a physical altercation in Tompson's office. Sometime after Favres big private jet return. Allegedly ending with Favre choking out TT...of course Favre would never admit this publicly and TT is gone so...but I heard it from someone who worked in the NFL for 20 years in a pretty prominent role.

The fight was supposedly over Ted's desire to push Favre out the door...so I don't really see how you say there's no evidence of that especially because at the time it was clear the FO had made the decision to go with Rodgers as their starter. Whatever you wanna call it but when Favre returned TT pushed him out. I mean that is exactly what happened in the end Favre was traded for far less than market value and the Rodgers era began

As for Rodgers being arrogant, was Michael Jordan arrogant?, Brett Favre? Tom Brady? Etc etc.

It's rare to find a star player of that level who is not arrogant. Not saying it's totally nessicary bit I do think that unwavering belief that they are better than everyone else. Allows for the confidence to in turn be that good
A fight? I doubt that. TT was elderly at the time and was such a passive person. If there was a fight, it would have been BF becoming unhinged.

As far as actual events go, what we do know is this:
  • TT actually said Favre can come back to the team.
  • MM met with BF for most of one day and the two talked
  • MM stated that in the end BF was too hung up on personal matters and not focused on football. He said everytime he got the conversation going about football BF would start talking about emotions and personal issues.
  • MM told BF he couldn't be a part of the team.

A tidbit during this draft that Gute brought up is that TT supported BF. Gute Said that when staff was down on BF, TT would tell everyone to give him a break and imagine it from BFs perspective.

There isn't a person at Lambeau that didn't support TT in this and admire him greatly for how he handled things. Likewise, not many respected BF. Why wasn't more information out there? Because TT didn't want the Packers organization to be hurt by the dirty laundry. Sounds like a guy with a big ego to you?

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A fight? I doubt that. TT was elderly at the time and was such a passive person. If there was a fight, it would have been BF becoming unhinged.

As far as actual events go, what we do know is this:
  • TT actually said Favre can come back to the team.
  • MM met with BF for most of one day and the two talked
  • MM stated that in the end BF was too hung up on personal matters and not focused on football. He said everytime he got the conversation going about football BF would start talking about emotions and personal issues.
  • MM told BF he couldn't be a part of the team.

A tidbit during this draft that Gute brought up is that TT supported BF. Gute Said that when staff was down on BF, TT would tell everyone to give him a break and imagine it from BFs perspective.

There isn't a person at Lambeau that didn't support TT in this and admire him greatly for how he handled things. Likewise, not many respected BF. Why wasn't more information out there? Because TT didn't want the Packers organization to be hurt by the dirty laundry. Sounds like a guy with a big ego to you?

TT was 55 years old and a ex NFL linebacker. Hardly too old for a fight or elderly. But yes the story I heard was Favre attacking him kind of a latrell spreewell situation.

I was told it was a rumor going around nfl circles by a dude in NFL circles. So yeah might not be true but certainly isn't impossible to believe

Also I didn't say TT was a big ego...I said he and Gute are excellent talent evaluators and poor communicators from everything I have read and seen them do. Obviously not actually knowing either.

What about the effort to pay Favre to retire ? Now maybe it was Mark Murphy who wanted Favre out but in the end Ted traded him for far less than he could have to the Vikings or even the bucs

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
TT was 55 years old and a ex NFL linebacker. Hardly too old for a fight or elderly. But yes the story I heard was Favre attacking him kind of a latrell spreewell situation.

I was told it was a rumor going around nfl circles by a dude in NFL circles. So yeah might not be true but certainly isn't impossible to believe

Also I didn't say TT was a big ego...I said he and Gute are excellent talent evaluators and poor communicators from everything I have read and seen them do. Obviously not actually knowing either.

What about the effort to pay Favre to retire ? Now maybe it was Mark Murphy who wanted Favre out but in the end Ted traded him for far less than he could have to the Vikings or even the bucs

Wasnt paid to be retired

They approached him before playoffs with the marketing deal WHEN he would retire...so this wasnt some hair brained idea...

Search this site..Andrew Brandt reported it and I have posted it numerous times.

Brett was even in espn? Bonnie bernstien maybe? And said it was a marketing deal..

One week later in a article to AL Jones biloxi ms newspaper..brett changed it to a bribe.

I knew people on bretts end and his camp. They had the spin Dr going full blown

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasnt paid to be retired

They approached him before playoffs with the marketing deal WHEN he would retire...so this wasnt some hair brained idea...

Search this site..Andrew Brandt reported it and I have posted it numerous times.

Brett was even in espn? Bonnie bernstien maybe? And said it was a marketing deal..

One week later in a article to AL Jones biloxi ms newspaper..brett changed it to a bribe.

I knew people on bretts end and his camp. They had the spin Dr going full blown

I just heard mark tauscher and Jason Wilde talk to Favre about it and it was made clear it was to retire. Yes it was a marketing deal and yes they would or offered it to him when he retired no matter. The FO wanted him to take it now so they didn't have to trade him. I believe Favre said had they brought it in a breifcase I might have retired...ok maybe Favre is lying I'll give you that possibility but the Packers hired the Whitehouse press secretary as their special public relations consultant so I think both sides were full blown

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I just heard mark tauscher and Jason Wilde talk to Favre about it and it was made clear it was to retire. Yes it was a marketing deal and yes they would or offered it to him when he retired no matter. The FO wanted him to take it now so they didn't have to trade him. I believe Favre said had they brought it in a breifcase I might have retired...ok maybe Favre is lying I'll give you that possibility but the Packers hired the Whitehouse press secretary as their special public relations consultant so I think both sides were full blown

Spin Dr

Farve also told them 2 weeks ago he never asked to be traded.

Bob harlan was on and said brett came to his offoce asking to be traded

Ari ********

You sound exactly like bretts camp. Lmao

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I met Ted in 2011 at Pasquales in DePere near where he lived. I went in for dinner with my dad and was shocked to find Ted sitting at the bar putting down one of their sandwiches. He shook our hands and talked to us for a minute or two before we respectfully left him to his meal. I must have watched a half dozen packer fans approach him and get the same treatment. The waitress said he came in most Fridays and always made time to talk to anyone who approached him.

Arrogant he was not.
How cool. I would have loved to have chatted with Ted Thompson. Closest I got was a very gracious exchange of hand written letters back in December 2010.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can agree with this.

The ego thing is a carryover on my part from the intent of the thread to say that TT had a huge ego.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spin Dr

Farve also told them 2 weeks ago he never asked to be traded.

Bob harlan was on and said brett came to his offoce asking to be traded

Ari ********

You sound exactly like bretts camp. Lmao

Haha well I was definitely on bretts side so I guess that makes sense but I guess my point is I think both sides were spinning things which is almost always the case...

By looking at who it would of benefitted if Brett retired etc Rodgers contract... I gotta believe it was at least somewhat of a retirement bribe

And question wasn't Mark Murphy president when Brett was traded? I know it was close to the time Harlan stepped down and Brett was real close with him but I thought ultimately Murphy was president for this stuff

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arrogant is not the correct word but TT was certainly not portrayed as a "people" person...gute has been portrayed as a disciple of TT and compared to him in that way. They both seem to be excellent scouts but poor manager's....since the job is called general manager I believe that managing part is pretty important
TT was not a good communicator with the general public. Being the focus of attention in a crowd was very uncomfortable for him. This is a separate matter than being a good manager. My understanding is that his employees all admired and respected him greatly. They enjoyed working for him. I think he was a great manager.

Gute is better in the press conferences, but it remains to be seen how well he lands talent for the team.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never met TT, but I did urinate next to a man in Vegas who claimed to have been a friend of his. Big guy, wore a bunch of non-football related rings. I suspect a former teammate. Said he was a nice, quiet, very smart guy. We didn't shake hands, and I didn't look at his rings when he was urinating. Lol.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
And question wasn't Mark Murphy president when Brett was traded? I know it was close to the time Harlan stepped down and Brett was real close with him but I thought ultimately Murphy was president for this stuff

Murphy assumed the team president role in January of 2008 and Brett was semi-forcibly retired (my opinion), unretired, and then was traded under his watch.

With respect to the original post, I wouldn't accuse any GM as being arrogant but I assume they all have healthy egos and are looking to be "that guy" who drafted the next NFL superstar.

OP
OP
Wi. Mike now in Florida
Reaction score
Getting back to all the Rodgers b.s. and everything he's saying, I got to wonder, why is he staying silent through all this drama?

If what is said is false or not, why doesn't he just come out and say, "I never said that" instead
of waiting so long to speak.

Being silent only makes matters worse, and as for this Packer fan, I think he's toast playing football in Green Bay again.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
*Steroids ended his career. His hip condition was a known risk for anabolic steroid users.

Wrong
unless you have proof??

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...favres-hip-injury-b99763998z1-387482631.html/

Wolf approved the trade even though one of the Packers' doctors at the time flunked Favre on his physical because he had the degenerative condition avascular necrosis in his hip.

https://deadspin.com/could-modern-medicine-have-saved-bo-jacksons-career-1443105382

The first thing to understand is that a lot of things went into Bo's injury. The hip dislocation itself is what happened on the field, but it isn't what forced Jackson into retirement. That would be a bone disease called avascular necrosis

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT was not a good communicator with the general public. Being the focus of attention in a crowd was very uncomfortable for him. This is a separate matter than being a good manager. My understanding is that his employees all admired and respected him greatly. They enjoyed working for him. I think he was a great manager.

Gute is better in the press conferences, but it remains to be seen how well he lands talent for the team.

My position is...if you're a great manger this current situation doesn't ever arise. Your job is to manage the entire operation in a way that gives you the best chance to win the SB every year. This currently is not that and a great would never allow it to get to this place

I didn't know Ted but from what I saw he wasn't a great communicator with the players including but not limited to Favre.

I'm not talking about to the general public. In all honesty I'm probably much like him in that yeah you'd be hard pressed to find someone that doesn't like me but you'd also be hard pressed to find someone who says I'm a good communicator...

In the end gutes legacy will be made on how this Rodgers situation turns out. He wins if he either recovers Rodgers trust or trades him for a huge haul and the team wins...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha well I was definitely on bretts side so I guess that makes sense but I guess my point is I think both sides were spinning things which is almost always the case...

By looking at who it would of benefitted if Brett retired etc Rodgers contract... I gotta believe it was at least somewhat of a retirement bribe

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/eagles/20070514_Favre_reportedly_asked_for_trade.html

Cook called ted

But I know I heard it on steve homer show? They called out brett for bot remembering he asked for a trade and gave the story how he asked for it.

Maybe he went to Mark..but thought it was bob?.

Members online

Latest posts