Arrogant General Managers

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy assumed the team president role in January of 2008 and Brett was semi-forcibly retired (my opinion), unretired, and then was traded under his watch.

With respect to the original post, I wouldn't accuse any GM as being arrogant but I assume they all have healthy egos and are looking to be "that guy" who drafted the next NFL superstar.

Thanks for info...I agree with your opinion on the Favre thing. That is how I recall it.

So it was definitely Murphy at the helm...I mean maybe he is the problem

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Spin Dr

Farve also told them 2 weeks ago he never asked to be traded.

Bob harlan was on and said brett came to his offoce asking to be traded

Ari ********

You sound exactly like bretts camp. Lmao
These are all very interesting stories. I’ve never heard these exact details and especially about Favre getting into a physical altercation with Thompson.
All in all, I personally would never believe Bret Favre or any of his people’s version of events from that entire situation.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
These are all very interesting stories. I’ve never heard these exact details and especially about Favre getting into a physical altercation with Thompson.
All in all, I personally would never believe Bret Favre or any of his people’s version of events from that entire situation.
I doubt brett did that to ted.

However there was a rumor brett used a gay slur about Ted.

Then on bretts official forum ran by his business partners who posted on the forum..they said ted would retire with his special friend on an island

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt brett did that to ted.

However there was a rumor brett used a gay slur about Ted.

Then on bretts official forum ran by his business partners who posted on the forum..they said ted would retire with his special friend on an island

That's the same story I left the gay slur out...the story I was told was Favre called him a ... And then choked him out in Ted's office when Ted told Brett he was being traded...

I always doubted it too because I mean come on but never ruled it out completely and now that you knew part of the same story idk combined with some of the stuff Favre has said since idk

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always heard TT was just not an extrovert and interpersonal communication wasn't his strength - BUT was an insanely genuine man and compassionate man.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting back to all the Rodgers b.s. and everything he's saying, I got to wonder, why is he staying silent through all this drama?

If what is said is false or not, why doesn't he just come out and say, "I never said that" instead
of waiting so long to speak.

In my opinion, him speaking publicly doesn't help him.

If he's negotiating with the Packers (and that seems to be a rumor with some legitimate weight) why would he potentially weaken his position? Let his agent and the team work it out and then move on.

Sure, the opinion of some fans would be altered, but that's it. He also doesn't care for the (majority of) the media. From his point of view, they (the media) started this mess. Why should he feed into whatever cycle we're on now?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No other player in this game gets to be a part of the draft. Gute was even on record saying that drafting a quarterback in the early rounds of 2020 was a possibility:
https://lombardiave.com/2020/01/25/packers-pros-cons-qb-2020-nfl-draft/
Interesting quote from Gute in that article:
“I was raised by Ron Wolf and Ted Thompson, so if there’s a quarterback we think can play that’s a starter in the National Football League, we’ll never pass that up,”.

Wolf was well known for grooming quarterbacks for value and trading them off. Not necessarily for replacing Favre with them. But it's a different league now, it's harder to groom non-starting QBs, and yesterday's high draft picks lose value quickly. But it was strongly suggested in that article that the motivation in this case would be finding Rodgers replacement.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't have proof, it's just my opinion. And it's my opinion that Favre used as well. Probably most of these guys do, those who pay more for them don't get caught. Anabolic steroids and avascular necrosis of the hip are linked. I don't think it's a coincidence that two of the most prolific athletes at their positions (of all time) had it.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't seen all the posts but, in reference to the topic, I would be surprised if most GMs AREN'T arrogant. Most ppl that become the top 32 in their profession are arrogant and the insular nature of NFL front offices and how teams are evaluated means there's really no concrete way to make GMs realize that failure is their fault.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't seen all the posts but, in reference to the topic, I would be surprised if most GMs AREN'T arrogant. Most ppl that become the top 32 in their profession are arrogant and the insular nature of NFL front offices and how teams are evaluated means there's really no concrete way to make GMs realize that failure is their fault.
To expand upon this...you SHOULD be arrogant in such a position even to a fault, or otherwise you will never take risks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wolf was well known for grooming quarterbacks for value and trading them off.

The huge difference being that Wolf never spent a pick within the first three rounds of the draft on a quarterback after acquiring Favre.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think blaming Gute for this fiasco and being arrogant is off base.

Really it isn't on Gute to be "boss"

Murphy set this structure up with him as the totally in control person who EVERYBODY answered too

MLF doesn't answer to Gute....he answers to Murphy

Gute answers to Murphy

Ball answers to Murphy

Murphy placed all the power at his door...he has the "owner" power

If anybody is to blame for all the failures that has occurred it is on Murphy and the system he established..
Very true. It is an utterly stupid organization structure. At a minimum, the HC should report to the GM. All this structure does is make for a lot of finger pointing when things go wrong.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well as Cool Hand Luke said..."what we have here is a failure to communicate"

That....is probably the base for this upheaval....

Bob Harlan hired Ron Wolfe and gave him full authority over the team.

When he traded for Favre the trade hinged on Favre passing a physical...Because of the removal of most of Favres colon the Packer DR's FAILED Brett's physical, nullifying the trade.

Wolfe called the Dr's and told them to do what they have to do and pass Brett's physical....they did and as they say the rest is history..

Everything went through Wolfe and he solved the problems as they occurred...

This system established by Murphy has too many communication breakdowns and now the team is trying to get out from under his mistake and the system that has finally shown it's weakness...failure of communication between too many offices...

I remember an article written by Pete Dougherty that was about how this system was set up to fail...and now we see that failure...
It's a terrible system. It involves Murphy in too many decisions and dilutes the time of a CEO. You won't find anything like this in corporate America. And now, indeed, it is failing.

Reaction score
It's a terrible system. It involves Murphy in too many decisions and dilutes the time of a CEO. You won't find anything like this in corporate America. And now, indeed, it is failing.
Naaah. I think “terrible system” is a bit critical.
It’s a newer hierarchy and it leads to growing pains. Everyone’s always pointing fingers, but we’ve been a pretty successful franchise as a whole.
I only know that because we always pick at the bottom of the draft ;)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some fans I talk to say the past and present Green Bay Packer GM's see them as arrogant?
Ron Wolf
Ted Thompson
Brian Gutekunst

Not so much Ron Wolf, but T. Thompson when fans felt he couldn't wait to see Favre out the
door and his pick Rodgers as our QB.

Same with B.Gutekunst, does he want his draft pick J. Love starting instead of Rodgers???

With Gutekunst , only the next couple months will tell.

Food for Thought
IMO TT was the opposite of arrogant. He's the guy who drafted Rodgers. Not bad. My only complaint with the late GM was his refusal to play in FA, Charles Woodson excepted!

As for Ron Wolf, I didn't see him as arrogant either. Supremely confident in his abilities? Sure.

As for Gluten, he's not arrogant either. He's just not qualified for the job he's got.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Naaah. I think “terrible system” is a bit critical.
It’s a newer hierarchy and it leads to growing pains. Everyone’s always pointing fingers, but we’ve been a pretty successful franchise as a whole.
I only know that because we always pick at the bottom of the draft ;)
Well it's true GB always drafts near the bottom of the draft and we know what that means. I stand by my assessment of the organization structure. And it's starting to show some strain in this whole Rodgers drama. Although I don't think any organization could deal with this cluster, and it wasn't the organization structure that caused it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well as Cool Hand Luke said..."what we have here is a failure to communicate"

That....is probably the base for this upheaval....

Bob Harlan hired Ron Wolfe and gave him full authority over the team.

When he traded for Favre the trade hinged on Favre passing a physical...Because of the removal of most of Favres colon the Packer DR's FAILED Brett's physical, nullifying the trade.

Wolfe called the Dr's and told them to do what they have to do and pass Brett's physical....they did and as they say the rest is history..

Everything went through Wolfe and he solved the problems as they occurred...

This system established by Murphy has too many communication breakdowns and now the team is trying to get out from under his mistake and the system that has finally shown it's weakness...failure of communication between too many offices...

I Bob Harlan hired Ron Wolfe and gave him full authority over the team.
an article written by Pete Dougherty that was about how this system was set up to fail...and now we see that failure...
"Bob Harlan hired Ron Wolf and gave him full authority over the team."

Well said. Harlan was hands off, as CEOs should be. Murphy is the opposite. Gluten is like a Mini-Murphy. That is, they're both in way over their heads.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides a disgruntled QB there hasn’t been anything to suggest they’re over their heads. Not from the financial health of the team, the facilities, and player acquisition via FA and the draft.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we keep Rodgers and he finishes his career here, but honestly we're getting to the point in his career where his salary is going to start hampering us. So if we move on, I'm cool with it, especially if we get good compensation for him. I don't like seeing it go down this way though.

Reaction score
I hope we keep Rodgers and he finishes his career here, but honestly we're getting to the point in his career where his salary is going to start hampering us. So if we move on, I'm cool with it, especially if we get good compensation for him. I don't like seeing it go down this way though.
Agreed. In a perfect world, both sides would’ve been cordial and worked things out by showing a unilateral commitment to better this team from both sides. We could’ve agreed to a longer term, highly guaranteed % deal with a lower annual and provisions to convert a portion over his remaining years to free up cap space now.

A 2021 restructured 5 years/$150,000 w/$125mil guaranteed. Then they could’ve let him know upfront they’d go after a backup QB in either the 2023-2024 seasons as his possible successor.
From this perspective both parties give up something, but both Win.
We could then push another $10mil this season and $5mil next. To make his payout:
2021-$20mil (freeing up $17.2mil from his current)
2022-$25mil (freeing up $14.9mil from current)
2023-$30mil (costing <$1.6mil> From current
2024-$35mil
2025-$40mil (or $15mil dead if he’s traded or just $25mil more for option to keep him)

That’s an area I feel Brian would’ve been sniffing around to make it happen. Due to us being able to resign our most important internal FA’s. Davante and J’aire. etc..

Unfortunately, just like the micro economics with Linsley, at anywhere close to $40+ Mil annual, the math isn’t working long term on a macro scale. The inflation and ballooning of monies kicked down the road becomes fully due. This talk about Rodgers performance is immaterial. Brian would have to have at minimum 1 Rookie QB contract season to wash the balloon payment and 2 years on a QB rookie contract to allow $ to resign our own FA’s + swallow all the monies kicked down the road. Yes he can make Rodgers the highest paid.. for 2 years max. After that we start cutting our #2 and #3 best players. Suddenly we’re walking 26-28 year olds for a 41 year old QB nearing his career completion

Goodbye Davante- Goodbye J’aire or Kenny

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
y only complaint with the late GM was his refusal to play in FA, Charles Woodson excepted!
The name Julius Peppers ring a bell? At the time I bet you liked the Marty Bennett addition along with Jared Cook.
Very true. It is an utterly stupid organization structure. At a minimum, the HC should report to the GM. All this structure does is make for a lot of finger pointing when things go wrong.
This isn't the only team organized this way. The Chiefs are for one. The difference is GB has a chairman/president while other teams have an owner. I stated this once before in another thread I am too tired to dig up.

D

Deleted member 6794

A 2021 restructured 5 years/$150,000 w/$125mil guaranteed. Then they could’ve let him know upfront they’d go after a backup QB in either the 2023-2024 seasons as his possible successor.
From this perspective both parties give up something, but both Win.
We could then push another $10mil this season and $5mil next. To make his payout:
2021-$20mil (freeing up $17.2mil from his current)
2022-$25mil (freeing up $14.9mil from current)
2023-$30mil (costing <$1.6mil> From current
2024-$35mil
2025-$40mil (or $15mil dead if he’s traded or just $25mil more for option to keep him)

I'm in favor of keeping Rodgers as well but I don't think the Packers offering him $125 million guaranteed money should be considered a smart move at this point in his career. I would rather prefer to restructure his current deal, guaranteeing part of the money still left on it but don't add additional money or seasons.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in favor of keeping Rodgers as well but I don't think the Packers offering him $125 million guaranteed money should be considered a smart move at this point in his career. I would rather prefer to restructure his current deal, guaranteeing part of the money still left on it but don't add additional money or seasons.

I'm guessing that route, no additional money, leads to Rodgers leaving the team or retiring.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO TT was the opposite of arrogant. He's the guy who drafted Rodgers. Not bad. My only complaint with the late GM was his refusal to play in FA, Charles Woodson excepted!

As for Ron Wolf, I didn't see him as arrogant either. Supremely confident in his abilities? Sure.

As for Gluten, he's not arrogant either. He's just not qualified for the job he's got.
What are the qualifications for a GM job?
I think Gutekunst has a similar resume to Thompson at the time they were hired?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we be clear here, anyone who is in the top-32 jobs in their industry is going to have a certain degree of earned arrogance and many will have a LOT of unearned arrogance mixed in as well. So, yeah, I think the vast majority of NFL GMs are arrogant and honestly believe that they know more about evaluating players and building teams than anyone else, why would they think otherwise? Many of them are wrong but by getting to the point of being an NFL GM they've experienced nothing in their lives to show them they're wrong.

Latest posts