Are the Packers this desperate?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Article reads -------

Russell's suspension lifted after 13 months
NFL.com wire reports

NEW YORK (Aug. 26, 2005) -- Troubled defensive tackle Darrell Russell had his suspension lifted by the NFL this week and is free to sign with any team.

Russell was suspended indefinitely in July 2004 after testing positive for drugs. The second overall pick in the 1997 draft was eligible to apply for reinstatement after eight games last season if he was signed by a team, but drew no offers.

League spokesman Steve Alic said that Russell now is eligible to play.

Russell's last team was Tampa Bay. Before that, he played for Bucs coach Jon Gruden in Oakland, then was with the Redskins.

Previously, Russell failed a drug test and sat out the first four games of the 2001 season, then was suspended by the NFL for a second violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

That suspension was extended by three months because commissioner Paul Tagliabue wasn't satisfied with his off-field behavior during that period. In 2002, Russell was charged as an accomplice in a ****** assault case against two friends, but prosecutors dropped the charges.

The 6-foot-5, 325-pound tackle played in the Pro Bowl in 1998 and 1999.

He's a big fella, alright - but dang, that's a lot of issues that could flare up at any time.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would talk to him but it would take a real sale job on his part before I would sign him.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't want this mess. Fresh off of the latest Laurence Phillips news, I bet that there are no takers on this guy even though he had a lot of talent and a once bright future in the NFL.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers were THAT desperate for a wide load, then Gilbert is a MUCH better option than Russell...like phil said, he's not going to get any looks though.

Cdnpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's at least as good as gamble as Hunt. The only thing I don't know is by cutting Hunt does it kill you on the cap?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cdnpackerfan said:
He's at least as good as gamble as Hunt. The only thing I don't know is by cutting Hunt does it kill you on the cap?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if cut, the sign. bonus is all the Packers are obligated to pay, which, in Hunt's case, would be another 3 mil to go.

Hunt's #s, fyi...

$6 million signing bonus prorated at $1 million/yr (2003-2008)
$1 million million roster bonuses in years '04 through '08
Remaining base salaries and other bonuses:
2003 $700,000
2004 $1,000,000
2005 $1,250,000
2006 $2,800,000
2007 $3,800,000
2008 $4,800,000

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I would look at Wendell Bryant before I do him. Wendell was released by Arizona, but at least he doesn't have the type of baggage that Russell has.

The speculation in Arizona according to one of the sports radio shows is that Bryant got caught drinking, and if he signs with a team he'd be suspended the first 4 games for violating the NFL substance abuse policy. I think Bryant wasn't supposed to be drinking for a year because of the DUI he had last year. I can't say for certain if this is true, but that's what a Cardinal reporter was saying on the radio last month.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
The speculation in Arizona according to one of the sports radio shows is that Bryant got caught drinking, and if he signs with a team he'd be suspended the first 4 games for violating the NFL substance abuse policy. I think Bryant wasn't supposed to be drinking for a year because of the DUI he had last year. I can't say for certain if this is true, but that's what a Cardinal reporter was saying on the radio last month.

That surprises me...if I remember correctly, he really kept his nose clean while at WI, and now he's been getting into drugs and alcohol while in the NFL (or at least has done a crappier job of covering it up).

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I loved Gilbert Brown and what he was in his prime....he could not help. The years of wear and tare have taken there toll. The Pack desperatly need a leader on defence but it has to be someone who can lead by example and make plays in the clutch. That is something lovable old Gilbert just can not do anymore.

Members online

Latest posts