Are the Packers content with "just being good enough for the playoffs"?

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an honest question. We really don't go crazy spending $$ on assets in free agency, and we don't trade up big for a huge prospect (not that any of those two things immediately mean we win).. it has always had me thinking. If you are constantly making playoff runs, then everyone in the front office is "safe" to a degree.

Maybe you have a magical run like in 2010, but more than likely you have a borderline playoff team who gets bounced and you can tell your fans "there's always next year!"

Maybe this is the thinking you need to have in order to compete for championships, however only 2 rings in the past 30 years kind of shows otherwise.

Thoughts?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's 14,563 other threads on this and it was as much garbage the first time it was brought up as the this time. You're 1 year removed from AMOS, SMITH, SMITH and here you are "we don't spend much money" "do they really want to win?" LOL do you even ****ing watch?

OP
OP
J

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's 14,563 other threads on this and it was as much garbage the first time it was brought up as the this time. You're 1 year removed from AMOS, SMITH, SMITH and here you are "we don't spend much money" "do they really want to win?" LOL do you even ******* watch?

Ladies and gentleman, this is why reading is important. As great as those free agency moves were FOR ONE YEAR LAST YEAR, how often do we spend $$ in free agency in the span of the past 10 years? When was the last time we were the favorites for the Super Bowl in the past 10 years... Maybe once, twice? the year we went 15-1.

It's a good strategy to have in order to always be in the hunt because like with 2010 you never know what can happen.. but we have NEVER gone "all-in" for a year or two. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe it's a bad thing.. idk

So far I know that we've only won 2 Superbowls in 30 years and whatever formula we have for THAT considering the HOF talent we have at QB is underwhelming

So Mondio... LOL do you even ****ing watch?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ladies and gentleman, this is why reading is important. As great as those free agency moves were FOR ONE YEAR LAST YEAR, how often do we spend $$ in free agency in the span of the past 10 years? When was the last time we were the favorites for the Super Bowl in the past 10 years... Maybe once, twice? the year we went 15-1.

It's a good strategy to have in order to always be in the hunt because like with 2010 you never know what can happen.. but we have NEVER gone "all-in" for a year or two. Maybe that's a good thing, maybe it's a bad thing.. idk

So far I know that we've only won 2 Superbowls in 30 years and whatever formula we have for THAT considering the HOF talent we have at QB is underwhelming

So Mondio... LOL do you even ******* watch?
oh boy, haven't heard all those arguments before. If only I felt like going through them AGAIN. maybe it will be different this time LOL. We've had teams to win a Super bowl, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019 and probably a few more. But hey, we should be the ****ing saints, they go all in and win it every year

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'd been lucky enough to have been a talented football player in college and drafted by the Packers, I would have been drafted in 1981. I would have been a member of Packers' teams that basically went 8-8 for 5 years (one of those years was a strike-shortened 5-3-1) in a row.

Gosh those years were maddening. The Pack was never good enough to challenge for a ring but, just good enough to be perennially asking the question, "Do we tear it all down and risk going 4-12 for awhile in the hopes of drafting enough blue chips to turn us into a 12-4 team and go for the ring? Or, do we patch the 8-8 team and hope we can scratch a few more wins out of the current roster and coaching staff? It's the toughest question any sports franchise has to face. It's especially tough for fans of a franchise as rich in championships as this one.

That's a long preamble to an answer to your question but, frankly, I'm a lot more comfortable now than I was in those days. We've been spoiled the last 30 years in Green Bay. Some franchises out there have never had a Hall of Fame quarterback and we're wondering if the guy we drafted last night will be the third in a row. There are two teams in our division in Detroit and Minnesota that would love to have had 2 rings in 30 years. Gute is definitely not a cheapskate in free agency. It will be awhile before we can decide whether the Gute/Lafleur marriage will work. But, as is the case with all marriages, patience is in order so let's cool off a bit and wait and see.

OP
OP
J

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh boy, haven't heard all those arguments before. If only I felt like going through them AGAIN. maybe it will be different this time LOL. We've had teams to win a Super bowl, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019 and probably a few more. But hey, we should be the ******* saints, they go all in and win it every year

Imagine clicking onto a thread, the commenting on a thread you apparently have no issue discussing. I mean....... yikes

There is a difference between making the playoffs and hoping things bounce your way (2010, last year) and having a legit team that you consider as a SB favorite (2011).. if you can't see that, then by all means see your way out of this thread.. This thread, and my question is about which method are the Packers. I mean maybe the "just being good enough to make the playoffs and have a shot" is the right approach, I said as much in the OP

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine clicking onto a thread, the commenting on a thread you apparently have no issue discussing. I mean....... yikes

There is a difference between making the playoffs and hoping things bounce your way (2010, last year) and having a legit team that you consider as a SB favorite (2011).. if you can't see that, then by all means see your way out of this thread.. This thread, and my question is about which method are the Packers. I mean maybe the "just being good enough to make the playoffs and have a shot" is the right approach, I said as much in the OP
I'll see my way where ever I want. If you truly think this team doesn't care about winning, good for you. It's as assinine as it is hilarious to think they don't. If you want to go complain about Ted Thompson, might I direct you to the 14,562 other threads discussed over the past decade about it. In case you're not up to speed, talking about him and what he did or didn't do is over, he is gone and replaced. There is zero need to start it up again, like I said, see YOUR way to the 14,562 other threads on the subject so everyone doesn't need to retype it all again.

Otherwise, I'd say none of your analysis fits the old, or the new FO we're talking about. Every team has things bounce their way. They've had much better teams than just "good enough to make the playoffs". I can think of 2-3 seasons EASILY where we were favorites, as in top 3,4 teams in the league with both Favre AND Rodgers and they didn't get it done for all sorts of reasons i'm not going over AGAIN. I think it's obvious they try building teams to win it all.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys there is no reason for us to go at each other's throats. @Mondio yes there may have been countless of threads like this before I'm sure, and you are by all means more than welcome to dig it up if you'd like. I think @jhawk008 was trying to have an honest discussion regarding the matter, as it does feel that way sometimes so I don't think it's completely out of bounds to ask.

Let's not fight you guys. We're all on the same side.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys there is no reason for us to go at each other's throats. @Mondio yes there may have been countless of threads like this before I'm sure, and you are by all means more than welcome to dig it up if you'd like. I think @jhawk008 was trying to have an honest discussion regarding the matter, as it does feel that way sometimes so I don't think it's completely out of bounds to ask.

Let's not fight you guys. We're all on the same side.
Sorry, i have a very short fuse when people honestly think they just do all this stuff to keep their jobs safe rather than win, when winning is what keeps their jobs safe. It's hilarious and sad at the same time. Gute has been aggressive in the draft, aggressive with UDFA's all year long and in season. He's been aggressive with his own roster and moving on from guys that dont' appear to be winning for the team. He's moved up how many times in short tenure in the draft? He's nailed how many big FA signings? Come on, how serious you expect me to be in this conversation?

There has been nothing Gute has done that should give anybody the impression he has other motives besides winning, when winning is what is going to keep his job. You really think he'd make a decision like taking Jordon Love while Rodgers is firmly under contract because he thinks it will keep them winning, but not winning enough and that would be good for job security vs taking a WR that everybody wants? This guy has made quite a few bold moves already, including trade backs and then trade back up and people are pissed off and happy in the same round at the same time and then that guy turns out to be really good. I'm not sure where people come up with this stuff

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Niners won 5 Super bowls with 2 HOF qb's and Green Bay has won 2 while NE has won 6 with a single 20-year run of a single HOF. Given that NE and SF won 6 and 5 Super Bowls in a shorter time span, the answer is obviously the Packers front office has been inept compared to teams with a long stretch of HOF qb's.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well the 9ers haven't won a Super Bowl with a salary cap so they were operating under some different rules. NE has been exceptional in that regard, unless you believe they cheat. and Thinking the Front office is inept is one thing. That's fine. Thinking they just don't really want to win when winning is what keeps their jobs is ludicrous and entirely different.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's 14,563 other threads on this and it was as much garbage the first time it was brought up as the this time. You're 1 year removed from AMOS, SMITH, SMITH and here you are "we don't spend much money" "do they really want to win?" LOL do you even ******* watch?

I'd recommend just re-reading this post...

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The argument that they want to have safe jobs is especially ridiculous after the first round yesterday.

If Gute would just want a safe job, he would have gone for Queen or any WR and nobody in the Packers universe would have complained. But no, he went for Love, because he thought he might be the guy for the future and basically took a huge risk regarding his job safety.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defensively over the past 10 years... there has definitely been put forward an effort to improve the defense. Much of the results haven't panned out as intended while some have. Offensively though... we have been **** poor on getting better. Our WR crew was amazing, but sadly no real effort has been put forth to replace Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, or any of other better WR's we've had since 2010 except for Adams. You can't lose 3-5 very good WR's and only replace with one very good WR.

Jordy was let go and instead of trying to at least replace him with another 2nd rounder... we tried to replace Jordy with a 4th, 5th, and a 7th. The 4th rounder is gone and the 7th rounder was injured
Cobb was let go and instead of trying to get a high round slot replacement... we draft a late rounder that has already been cut.

Other positions are similar, but that would make this post go on and on. Defensively yes, offensively no on the ranking of if the front office cared only for making the playoffs only.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had we hit with our 3 WR's a few years ago, we wouldn't be in this mess. I think management is trying to field a contender, but we've had more misses than hits at our areas of weakness the last several drafts. Our game changers last year were FA's and we couldn't afford any substantial FA's this year because of it.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true... if I won the lottery, I would be happy too.

a 4th rounder, 5th rounder, and a 7th rounder could have easily been replaced with a better than average chance 2nd rounder to repeat what the Packers seem so good to draft. Josh Jackson to a DJ Chalk, Christian Kirk, or Anthony Miller would have been nice. Our previous drafts SUCKED so bad that we had double up multiple times on defensive issues.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How many years has Gute been Gm

How many years has he spent a ton of money?

please don’t say last ten years as that can’t be held against Gute

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Are Packer fans content with just being dumb enough to laugh at?

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute comes out and says we are here to win now... yet none of us knew that we were a backup QB, a 3rd string RB, and a 4th string TE away from winning the Super Bowl. I thought we were a DT, ILB, and WR#2 away, but damn I was wrong.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No. Definitely not. Why be in playoff's when we can fight for the division? Let's take a step down.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Third in NFCN
Rodgers will mail it in or get hurt because we have a blocking sled at RT and defenses will put eight in the box all day long since after Adams we got ZIP
Defense gets run on non stop and gets tired or hurt
This is a freaking **** show that has been building over the past three years

Members online

Latest posts