Anyone else NOT take this loss so hard?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there is no question that change is needed, I dont think it should be as radical of a change as some people are suggesting. Id say we our 1 key position away of being in legitimate SB contenders and that is our one and only DC (surprise surprise). We can always decide to change future positions, but for now lets start with the key part of our team which has always kept us out in the big games and thats our D. Furthermore lets hope that we can lose our final 2 so we can get some picks in the top half of the draft for once haha

I would NEVER hope for a loss to the vikings even if it meant the difference between the #1 pick and the #32 pick

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the discussion on the Steelers play this morning in the sports media, this is what I gather:
It is okay for the ball to touch the ground as long as the player maintains control.

Another possibility is that the Panther player had already "gone to the ground" when he landed on his keister. Maybe once he had done that while being in control of the ball, the play was over. Maybe it didn't matter what happened after he flipped over.

I think you are right on the first part not sure on the second. Control has to be maintained throughout the process. It looks to me as if the Panther player has control. He clearly has two hands on the ball.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The time to take things hard was when Rodgers went down, not when a wing and a prayer did not materialize.

I agree. Realistically the playoffs were not lost yesterday they were lost in the first vikings game. It just took this long for the numbers to catch up.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sick and tired of us going to the "So Close and Yet So Far" Bowl game year after year.
Well, we won't be going there this year. If missing the playoffs brings about the kind of change that this team needs (mainly, moving on from Capers), it will be well worth it IMO. I'm tired of seeing the defense set new standards for futility on a regular basis.

The ball can hit the ground it just can't move when it does. I didn't see that part of the Panthers catch but IMO the ball clearly moved when James hit the ground. Its hard to make inferences based on still pictures although IMO it is clear that the Panthers player has two hands on the ball whereas James does not.
Yeah, the ball definitely moved when James hit the ground. Critics of the call will say that he broke the plane so it should have been a touchdown at that point, but I don't agree - he has to complete the catch. Others are saying he made some sort of "football move", but I don't buy that either. He was going to the ground the whole time.

In the case with the Panthers, he had already gone to the ground when he landed on his butt. Then he flipped over and the ball hit the ground. But since he had already gone to the ground, does it matter if he then goes to the ground again afterward? I'm not so sure.

I have no problem with the going to the ground rule. I think it makes things clearer than they would be otherwise. I also notice that about half the guys on TV who claim the James play was a catch will admit that technically, according to the NFL rules, it wasn't a catch. They just don't like the rule.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not surprised with the loss, I knew it'd be a tough game even with Rodgers back. Rodgers seems to have a subpar game whenever coming back from a 2+ game layoff. 2011 he rested in Week 17 and had a first round bye, then was rusty vs the Giants, and in 2013 he threw 2 picks against the Bears in Week 17.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't take the loss particularly hard as I didn't expect the Packers to make the playoffs once Rodgers went down.

While there is no question that change is needed, I dont think it should be as radical of a change as some people are suggesting. Id say we our 1 key position away of being in legitimate SB contenders and that is our one and only DC (surprise surprise).

Thompson hasn't been able to acquire a single elite defensive player over the past few years despite spending most of the early round picks on that side of the ball. He has to be replaced as well.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In the case with the Panthers, he had already gone to the ground when he landed on his butt. Then he flipped over and the ball hit the ground. But since he had already gone to the ground, does it matter if he then goes to the ground again afterward? I'm not so sure.
Certainly made a difference for Calvin Johnson.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly made a difference for Calvin Johnson.
McCaffrey did flip over after he hit the ground, but you could certainly argue it's the same thing.
It doesn't appear that the ball moved when it hit the ground with McCaffrey, though, and that's the key difference.

Members online

Latest posts