Any PF members on here also grad students?

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay guys. So I'm starting my first year of grad school this Fall and I have a 22 cr qtr load (we go by quarters here, not semesters). The thing is... I'm super worried about not being able to focus well on my academics! All I do is think about football, girls, and working out. In that order!

I used to be able to get away with that during undergrad, but my program is a completely different beast! Anyone have advice on football/school balance? I think I might have to cut back on looking up football material and just watch games on weekends, but I always want to be up to date! This is gonna be a long fall/winter...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, let me ask you this: What's more likely to put money in your pockets? School or following the Packers?

My advice: Focus on school. As someone who dropped out of college and has found it very hard to go back, I can tell you that you'll have the rest of your life to enjoy football and soak up all the news your brain can handle. In the grand scheme of things, cutting back on one NFL season will really be no big deal. For now, just suck it up, handle your business and get it done. You'll be much better off for having done so.

If you need NFL and Packers news, twitter is a great tool for breaking news and discussion and staying up to date. Plus they make apps for your smart phone so you can stay up to date between classes or while you're on the john.

So, in a nutshell, stay focused and just get it done and out of the way. I wish I had. I'd be much better and further along in life if I had.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It's been a while since I was in grad school, but I've told all my children this; get all of your schooling done while you can. When school is done, then you'll have plenty of time to do the other stuff. However, working out some, but not to excess will also help you keep mentally alert for your studies. You won't regret putting all your effort into grad school now. When you graduate, if you aren't tied down with family obligations you'll probably be able to do some traveling before settling down to a job; maybe take in a couple NFL games in various stadiums or go overseas. It works great that way. Keep grad school the priority.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a grad school prof who for some reason decided to have a once a week 3 hr class during MNF. Not cool.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I'm in med school right now. Honestly, all that stuff will just naturally play 2nd fiddle to school, as long as you're truly interested in what you do and once you start to realize how you learn best and what it takes to really learn what you're studying. While college is more just learning for the sake of learning, grad school is more job training. Don't worry, there's always time for the Pack.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was contemplating going back this year for my MBA but I have just been through a 4 year grind to get my BBA. I rather work now and make that decision later, grad school isn't going anywhere.

Focus on school first, buy a PVR and catch up on the game when you have some free time.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I know it's hard, but if you don't get school finished you'll find it's hard to go back. My son is facing the same thing but engineering is number one. We DVR the games and watch them later if need be.
Good luck!

Members online

Latest posts