Andrew Luck Retires.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well the truth of the matter, a good portion of the players in the NFL could retire at any point in their career and they would be set for life financially. Gone are the days where everyone was playing the game to support their families and bank enough for retirement or even having to retire from football and get another job to make ends meet.

So what we saw Luck and quite a few players before him do, retire before some fans thought they should, will probably be happening more and more.

Personally, I can't blame a guy who doesn't want to put playing football ahead of his health, family and future, just to add a few more million to a bank account that most reasonable people wouldn't be able to spend in 5 life times.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those of us enraged would probably go after Gute and Ball way before we remotely considered blaming Rodgers.
Lol, most likely true.

Again though, I wouldn't say it's right to blame anyone for retiring. I'm just saying I understand it if the first emotional reaction is negative, as I believe was the case with the Colts fans. I know someone who has a regular, "real life" job who just decided to retire, and a few of the people she worked with were angry at her. Because, you know, they feel abandoned. Ultimately they realize it's not all about them, I'm sure, but that first initial reaction was that they felt betrayed.

Now calm them down and let them think it over, and I'm sure they would admit that everyone has to do what's right for them personally, and their family.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, most likely true.

Again though, I wouldn't say it's right to blame anyone for retiring. I'm just saying I understand it if the first emotional reaction is negative, as I believe was the case with the Colts fans. I know someone who has a regular, "real life" job who just decided to retire, and a few of the people she worked with were angry at her. Because, you know, they feel abandoned. Ultimately they realize it's not all about them, I'm sure, but that first initial reaction was that they felt betrayed.

Now calm them down and let them think it over, and I'm sure they would admit that everyone has to do what's right for them personally, and their family.

I think what amped up the frustration is that it's not usual for retirement to happen right after the preseason right before the regular season. I think if it had happened right after the playoffs last year, well the frustration might have still been there, but at least then you might have the hope of drafting your next guy. Now ... You have to wait a while to do that.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what amped up the frustration is that it's not usual for retirement to happen right after the preseason right before the regular season. I think if it had happened right after the playoffs last year, well the frustration might have still been there, but at least then you might have the hope of drafting your next guy. Now ... You have to wait a while to do that.
I'm sure that was a big factor. The timing was pretty bad. People are getting all amped up for football season, preseason is winding down, and you lose your best hope. Luck is getting compared to Barry Sanders a lot. You think there weren't Lions fans angry about him retiring so young?

Members online

Latest posts