Andrew Luck Retires.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am honestly stunned by this. Dude was definitely one of my favorite QBs to watch other than Rodgers. Very down to earth and very humble. While I'm sad to see him leave I do wish him the best. If there is one thing he'll always have under his belt is that he never lost to Rodgers when their teams met up.

On another side note. Jim Irsay deserves this.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will prolly come back...
I initially thought the same, but after doing some research the dude has suffered from a torn cartilage in 2 ribs, torn abdomen, lacerated kidney (I believe this caused him to **** blood at one point), 1 concussion, torn labrum in his throwing shoulder and an ankle injury all in 6 years. The dude is done. I'm sad to see him go as I like him as a player, but I'm happy that he made the best decision for himself. Dude was tough as nails, and one of the friendliest and humble guys in the NFL.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am honestly stunned by this. Dude was definitely one of my favorite QBs to watch other than Rodgers. Very down to earth and very humble. While I'm sad to see him leave I do wish him the best. If there is one thing he'll always have under his belt is that he never lost to Rodgers when their teams met up.

On another side note. Jim Irsay deserves this.
Luck is a great QB, and for the reasons you mentioned also a great leader;)

Sucks to be a Colts fan, but I wish him and the Colts all the best.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Mentally worn out"? How about physically as well? They couldn't protect him early and his body just never recovered. This is going to make the 2020 Draft look very interesting.
Just goes to show, if you get one of these elite quarterbacks, you've got to put the pieces around him, and protect him while you have him, or else it's all going to be wasted.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there were a bunch of forum users in shoutbox during the first or second preseason game claiming aaron rodgers wouldn't have much trade value at this point
things like this are why he's still worth multiple 1st round picks
colts would jump all over that

Reaction score
Wow! That a bummer. My first impression is the guy is always injured and this was simply a decision made for his family. You can't put a price tag on your health and he's punished his body pretty good for 29.
Best wishes to Andrew and wherever this leads him. Coaching? The Booth? I feel like he'll be back in some capacity

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He really must have been burned out or just very comfortable with his bank account.

Jim Irsay stated that Luck probably is giving up about $500M by retiring.

Can't put a price tag on health and happiness Jim!

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:

» Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
» partially torn abdomen
» a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
» at least 1 concussion
» a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
» and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...rew-luck-is-giving-up-nearly-500m-by-retiring

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He really must have been burned out or just very comfortable with his bank account.

Jim Irsay stated that Luck probably is giving up about $500M by retiring.

Can't put a price tag on health and happiness Jim!

Physical toll on Andrew Luck through 6 NFL seasons:

» Torn cartilage in 2 ribs
» partially torn abdomen
» a lacerated kidney that left him peeing blood
» at least 1 concussion
» a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder
» and this mysterious calf/ankle issue that led to this

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...rew-luck-is-giving-up-nearly-500m-by-retiring
Yup! I cited that earlier. The part that scares me is the part where you're pissing blood. I can't imagine how terrifying that would be. But I don't feel sorry for Irsay in one bit! The dude could never build a o-line to protect Luck. As lousy as our organization has been, The Colts organization has definitely been one of the lousiest in regards to not putting the pieces around Luck.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I initially thought the same, but after doing some research the dude has suffered from a torn cartilage in 2 ribs, torn abdomen, lacerated kidney (I believe this caused him to **** blood at one point), 1 concussion, torn labrum in his throwing shoulder and an ankle injury all in 6 years. The dude is done. I'm sad to see him go as I like him as a player, but I'm happy that he made the best decision for himself. Dude was tough as nails, and one of the friendliest and humble guys in the NFL.
The only thing there of note is the shoulder... And I'm guessing after a year off. And starting to feel better. He will want to play again.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The media has been attacking the fans for booing Luck yesterday all day. Now I don't condone that they booed the guy, but I certainly find it understandable. People had bought season tickets expecting to see Luck, the Colts were expected to be Super Bowl contenders, and now all that had been yanked out from under them. He's only 29, some might label him a quitter. ESPN reported one fan as complaining that he didn't have the option of retiring at 29.

Players, especially QBs, get paid so much now, that they can retire like this early on. Like I said, I don't think it's right that he was booed, he has to do what he thinks best for himself and his family. But I don't find it surprising. Who knows, another injury this season, and it might be Rodgers retiring.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And to buffer two points, this is what Rodgers means in regards to the media making clickbait articles in what he says. Initially I cringed thinking that Rodgers said something bad about Luck, but lo and behold he actually didn't but due to how the article is worded, people with agendas against Rodgers, will jump to the conclusion based on the title alone that he was taking shots at Luck.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...odgers-reaction-to-luck-retirement-disgusting

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And to buffer two points, this is what Rodgers means in regards to the media making clickbait articles in what he says. Initially I cringed thinking that Rodgers said something bad about Luck, but lo and behold he actually didn't but due to how the article is worded, people with agendas against Rodgers, will jump to the conclusion based on the title alone that he was taking shots at Luck.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...odgers-reaction-to-luck-retirement-disgusting

I'm not even going to click on it, which would give them another hit. I will take your word on it, so you better be right mister! ;)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not even going to click on it, which would give them another hit. I will take your word on it, so you better be right mister! ;)
The actual title is Aaron Rodgers: Reaction to Luck's Retirement Disgusting. In other words, Rodgers SAYS the fans' reaction was disgusting.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The actual title is Aaron Rodgers: Reaction to Luck's Retirement Disgusting. In other words, Rodgers SAYS the fans' reaction was disgusting.

Yes, I ended up seeing Rodgers interview about it, the retirement, not the article.

He was shocked by the fans booing Luck and called it a disgusting response.

But that wouldn't get as many clicks.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was shocked by the fans booing Luck and called it a disgusting response.

But that wouldn't get as many clicks.
Yeah, but I don't agree with him. I don't think it was right to boo him, but in the heat of the moment, what do you expect? That Colt fans are going to cheer that he's retiring? That seems ludicrous. Now once the emotions cool down and they hear his side of it, I'm sure he'll get a thank you standing ovation somewhere down the line. But a Colt's fan first response to hearing this is going to be "Oh no!".

Rodgers is going a bit too far saying it was disgusting, IMO. Fans will be fans, I don't expect them to act like saints. As long as they're not throwing bottles are getting violent, they paid for their tickets, I think they should be able to express whatever feelings they want.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, but I don't agree with him. I don't think it was right to boo him, but in the heat of the moment, what do you expect? That Colt fans are going to cheer that he's retiring? That seems ludicrous. Now once the emotions cool down and they hear his side of it, I'm sure he'll get a thank you standing ovation somewhere down the line. But a Colt's fan first response to hearing this is going to be "Oh no!".

Rodgers is going a bit too far saying it was disgusting, IMO. Fans will be fans, I don't expect them to act like saints. As long as they're not throwing bottles are getting violent, they paid for their tickets, I think they should be able to express whatever feelings they want.

You and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Now I don't know a ton about Luck, maybe there were other things, other than his decision to retire, behind their reaction? But sorry, if Rodgers did the same thing for health reasons, I would hope our fans would have a bit more class. They weren't really booing Luck himself, they were booing the fact that they as fans, they were loosing a top notch QB. There is a difference between booing a player for playing poorly or doing stupid things, but classless to boo a guy that put it all out there and just had to admit, his body and mind were no longer in the game. I would have been more pissed as a Colts fan if he didn't retire and just went through the motions and stunk it up or got injured again.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But sorry, if Rodgers did the same thing for health reasons, I would hope our fans would have a bit more class.
I never said it was classy, it wasn't. I said it wasn't right, and I didn't condone it. But I understand it.
And when those fans found out, it was before he had explained the reasons.

If you think back to when the Favre/Rodgers controversy split the fanbase, Rodgers was booed early on. So as much as I think the Packers have the most respectful fan base in the NFL, they can react purely on emotion as much as anyone else.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there were a bunch of forum users in shoutbox during the first or second preseason game claiming aaron rodgers wouldn't have much trade value at this point
things like this are why he's still worth multiple 1st round picks
colts would jump all over that

Except there are no QBs capable of leading this team, certainly not Kizer and hell no to Boyle.

Besides, I wouldn't trust our front office with any first round picks.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You and I will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Now I don't know a ton about Luck, maybe there were other things, other than his decision to retire, behind their reaction? But sorry, if Rodgers did the same thing for health reasons, I would hope our fans would have a bit more class. They weren't really booing Luck himself, they were booing the fact that they as fans, they were loosing a top notch QB. There is a difference between booing a player for playing poorly or doing stupid things, but classless to boo a guy that put it all out there and just had to admit, his body and mind were no longer in the game. I would have been more pissed as a Colts fan if he didn't retire and just went through the motions and stunk it up or got injured again.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous and lunatic fringe level to blame a QB for retiring. I myself started thinking it was a real possibility after seeing him go through all those multiple offseason surgeries and everything, and unfortunately it seems he fell victim to the Rob Johnson trajectory. Another good guy who just couldn't escape the injury bug.

I'm pretty sure those of us who were to witness Rodgers retire would never question his toughness. At least not me, not after seeing him pull off the miraculous return into the game last year to lead the comeback. Those of us enraged would probably go after Gute and Ball way before we remotely considered blaming Rodgers.

Members online