Anderson leaves Badgers

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something fundamentally wrong in Madison. If it's academic standards, as ESPN suggests, I'm ok with it. You don't sacrifice academics for cash, imo. I think you can have a winning program while preserving academic integrity. Michigan has done it; Stanford does it. So can we. By all reports, Anderson has had a great recruiting class for next year. There's something else at play here...

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad he's going. After seeing his lack of emotion on the sidelines during last Saturday's drubbing I really doubt his resolve. He stood blank-faced like he crapped in his pants and showed no fire or fight. His lack of leadership was glaring. You really have to question his judgement the way he continued to play Stave and McAvoy long after they player themselves off of the field. Why in the hell did Houston never get a chance. Can't imagine he's any worse than what they were trotting out there.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
New coach, likely a frosh starting at qb, and opening against bama. Its going to be a wild 2015 in Madison

Circa1919

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It says something about a guy when Bo Pelini looks to have more integrity to ride it all out than G.Anderson.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Like everyone else familiar with the program, I was very surprised by Anderson leaving, particularly taking a step down in money and in the football program to Oregon State. Alvarez said Anderson was very upset about a Sun Prairie (Wisconsin) DL recruit committing to UW Madison and then switching to Michigan State because he couldn’t get into the UW. Beyond that maybe Anderson just didn’t like the Madison community. If it’s just the academic standards, shame on Anderson IMO.

I’d like to see Chryst as HC – and if he could convince the DC Aranda to stay that’d be great IMO. In spite of the cluster schtoop against Ohio St., I like Aranda as DC. He lost every starter in the front seven and the D played well until the last game. Imagine if the Badgers would have had an average college passing QB – I think they could have beaten LSU in the opener and then who knows? Or if they would have had a true dual threat at QB that Anderson preferred this year’s team would have been a lot of fun to watch. No matter who the new HC is, I hope he invites Stave (who I believe has another year of eligibility) to transfer or tell him it’s extremely unlikely he’ll win the starting job again. He’s probably a great kid but he’s the opposite of clutch. I also hope he “invites” McEvoy to return to the other side of ball.

If not Chryst, Bevell would be a very interesting choice but I wonder if he’s in line for an NFL HC job? And if he’s not now, if he has a couple of seasons of success at UW, would he be then and they’d be in the same situation again? In the meantime, I hope they can avoid being embarrassed by Auburn.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Admission policies at oregon state are the same as Wisconsin, according to ESPN; assistant pay at both schools virtually identical. So it's neither of those. Maybe Andersen just wanted to be back on the West side of the country. Maybe it's Alvarez. But something isn't right when 2 coaches leave in 2 years--both for lateral moves.

I suspect Aranda might be the next hire. If not him the current coach at Northern Ill. or Dave Dueren now at NC state but formerly at Wisconsin and Northern Ill would be interesting.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Admission policies at oregon state are the same as Wisconsin, according to ESPN; assistant pay at both schools virtually identical. So it's neither of those. Maybe Andersen just wanted to be back on the West side of the country. Maybe it's Alvarez. But something isn't right when 2 coaches leave in 2 years--both for lateral moves.

I suspect Aranda might be the next hire. If not him the current coach at Northern Ill. or Dave Dueren now at NC state but formerly at Wisconsin and Northern Ill would be interesting.
I dont believe they have the same entrance requirements though, just the same to stay in the school.

that being said I think the real reason wisconsin lost 2 coaches to lesser programs has not been made public.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like everyone else familiar with the program, I was very surprised by Anderson leaving, particularly taking a step down in money and in the football program to Oregon State. Alvarez said Anderson was very upset about a Sun Prairie (Wisconsin) DL recruit committing to UW Madison and then switching to Michigan State because he couldn’t get into the UW. Beyond that maybe Anderson just didn’t like the Madison community. If it’s just the academic standards, shame on Anderson IMO.

I’d like to see Chryst as HC – and if he could convince the DC Aranda to stay that’d be great IMO. In spite of the cluster schtoop against Ohio St., I like Aranda as DC. He lost every starter in the front seven and the D played well until the last game. Imagine if the Badgers would have had an average college passing QB – I think they could have beaten LSU in the opener and then who knows? Or if they would have had a true dual threat at QB that Anderson preferred this year’s team would have been a lot of fun to watch. No matter who the new HC is, I hope he invites Stave (who I believe has another year of eligibility) to transfer or tell him it’s extremely unlikely he’ll win the starting job again. He’s probably a great kid but he’s the opposite of clutch. I also hope he “invites” McEvoy to return to the other side of ball.

If not Chryst, Bevell would be a very interesting choice but I wonder if he’s in line for an NFL HC job? And if he’s not now, if he has a couple of seasons of success at UW, would he be then and they’d be in the same situation again? In the meantime, I hope they can avoid being embarrassed by Auburn.

I saw someone make the joke that we could lure rex ryan to the badgers with a basket of fresh cheese curds and a spotted cow

Circa1919

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I think Bevell would be the obvious choice for Wisconsin. Chryst is 19-19 at Pitt for the last two years. Not quite as impressive. Then again Bevell is in Seattle and it may be difficult to lure him away from a championship team in the pros.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm good with Chryst. Certainly has strong ties to Madison and Alvarez. We'll be good with him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The jsonline story says Chryst inherited a mess at Pitt and implemented a new system on offense. I do know Chryst is a very good OC. This is from madison.com:
From 2006 to 2011, he was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. In his final two years with the program in 2010 and 2011, he led an offense that ranked fifth and sixth nationally in scoring, respectively.
http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...cle_abb0f76f-a12c-5768-ac58-ea04f3443351.html

Obviously Wilson made a huge difference in 2011, but I saw enough of Chryst as OC before that season to respect his ability on that side of the ball. The key for him to succeed (other than recruiting of course) IMO will be the other side of the ball. As I posted, I’d love to see Aranda stick around but he’ll probably follow Anderson to Oregon State.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
15 mins ago

STATEMENT FROM Wisconsin Badgers DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS BARRY ALVAREZ

“We are continuing the process of finding our new head football coach. We have not offered the position to anyone. In accordance with University of Wisconsin hiring policies, the earliest we could make an offer to a candidate is Wednesday, Dec. 17. Any accepted offer would be contingent upon approval by the UW System Board of Regents.”

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The first question on Sidelines was ‘why did Anderson leave?’ Homer was his usual calm self in saying Anderson hates Wisconsin and doesn’t care about the players. Oates said he isn’t a “midwest guy” and ‘some coaches REALLY hate it when they lose a recruit because he can’t get into the school and that player ends up playing in the same conference’. Wilde said he heard from three sources that Mrs. Anderson really hated Madison. One of the reasons I like Wilde is he doesn’t feel the need to be outrageous like some in the media. For example, he cautioned that although he heard that from three different sources, he cautioned none of them know for sure. He also chided Oates for being overly emotional about Anderson leaving - comparing him to Belushi's character in the 'when the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor' scene in Animal House. Anyway, at this point, good riddance to Anderson.

The jsonline is reported that Aranda prefers to stay in Madison and Alvarez likes that idea a lot. I hope Chryst does too. They also report that Joe Rudolph may be coming back to Madison – he’s reportedly a good recruiter and an up and coming coach. But he has ties out east and may be offered the HC job.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN reported that the reason Anderson left was because he could not get along with Alverez. Specifically they said that Barry was still meddling with coaching decisions from the AD office. Take it for what it's worth

Circa1919

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alverez getting too involved doesn't surprise me. Him coaching the bowl game is a reflection of that.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Alverez getting too involved doesn't surprise me. Him coaching the bowl game is a reflection of that.
I believe the rumors of Alvarez’s interference started after Anderson couldn’t answer why he didn’t run Gordon more in the second half against LSU in the opener. About a week later he “was told” to say it was because Gordon suffered a hip flexor. It was most likely Alvarez who told him to say that. If he interfered more than that, shame on Alvarez. If that was it, shame on Anderson for not at least saying Gordon was “nicked up” during the second half of that game in the post game presser. As far as Alvarez’s coaching of the two bowl games, I have no reason not to believe the widely reported stories – in both cases – that the seniors on each team approached him and asked him to do it. Do you?

Anderson said in his press conference in Oregon, “This is where “I was told to go” So apparently God wanted him to go to Oregon State. After the lack of class he displayed in bolting with no notice to the UW, I think God did Badger fans a favor.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts