Anders Carlson

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets go!!!! good from 57...lookin good. Get me a grape or and orange but none o that stinkin root beer

Attachments

• hansons2.jpg
    hansons2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 51

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets go!!!! good from 57...lookin good. Get me a grape or and orange but none o that stinkin root beer
The problem with Carlson is this. He'll hit from midfield put it dead nuts down the center of the goal post...then he'll shank 2 inside the 5...one into the tunnel, one into the pro shop

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone who doubts Carlson, should look at the history of kickers. Hell just look at his brother Daniel, who got off to a terrible start with the Vikings. He was perfect in the preseason (7/7, 9/9 with a 62 yarder). Very few come into the NFL as being stone cold killers, unless their name is Justin Tucker. All kickers, even Tucker, go through slumps. Anders consistently puts kickoffs deep into or out of the endzone. His 50+ yard kicks would probably be good from 60+. This kid has the leg, give him more time to get his confidence and consistency. That missed XP last night was not on him.

BTW, Anders was perfect on FG's in the preseason (4 of 4).

Reaction score
Anyone who doubts Carlson, should look at the history of kickers. Hell just look at his brother Daniel, who got off to a terrible start with the Vikings. He was perfect in the preseason (7/7, 9/9 with a 62 yarder). Very few come into the NFL as being stone cold killers, unless their name is Justin Tucker. All kickers, even Tucker, go through slumps. Anders consistently puts kickoffs deep into or out of the endzone. His 50+ yard kicks would probably be good from 60+. This kid has the leg, give him more time to get his confidence and consistency. That missed XP last night was not on him.

Yeah I agree he’s kinda redeemed himself after sticking a 52 and 57 yarder and both were good from 60 easy. Neither were even close to a post. That goes a long ways for my evaluation. Loved he got a standing ovation that must’ve been incredible for him.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd prefer he learn how to kick for some other team.

This guy is going to burn the Packers in 2023.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Carlson is this. He'll hit from midfield put it dead nuts down the center of the goal post...then he'll shank 2 inside the 5...one into the tunnel, one into the pro shop
Pretty sure he's hit well above 20%. I don't doubt that he'll miss a few gimmees this year. I also don't doubt that he'll nail quite a few game-winners and/or tough half-ending FG's. I'll take the bad with the good in '23 to hopefully have a confident, top-10 kicker for the next 12-15 years.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, kind of reminds me of a kicker that played for the Badgers and Redskins....... John Hall.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's going to have some ups and downs as most rookies do...It is obvious, though, that he has a strong leg, and the Packers have the right ST coach to mentor him. Green Bay stuck with Mason Crosby when he went through a rough stretch, and I hope they will be equally patient with Anders Carlson.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He's going to have some ups and downs as most rookies do...It is obvious, though, that he has a strong leg, and the Packers have the right ST coach to mentor him. Green Bay stuck with Mason Crosby when he went through a rough stretch, and I hope they will be equally patient with Anders Carlson.
Agree.

Contrary to popular belief, great kickers don't just grow on trees. Some fans really undervalue and underappreciate the position, without realizing that some teams are changing kickers like underwear.

Pretty difficult to teach a 25 year old kicker how to make his leg stronger and able to kick further, but you can help him with his technique, accuracy and confidence. He's a rookie, give him some time, but he will still miss kicks, even when he is 35.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Mason's FG% <80 his first 4 seasons. He missed one XP in 190 attempts over same period though the XP was the chip shot thing back then.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He missed one XP in 190 attempts over same period though the XP was the chip shot thing back then.
This is something I don't think fans have adjusted their mentality on, the Extra Point. When the NFL moved the kick back 13 yards in 2015, it changed it from being a 99.3% "chip shot" to a 93% "come on just make it".

While I don't want Anders to miss XP's, he will, as will most of the other kickers. What we should have though, is a guy that can put every kickoff into the EZ and if need be, have a leg that might win a game with a 60+ yarder.

Reaction score
and the Packers have the right ST coach to mentor hi
That’s a significant comment. This is Rich Bisachia’s guy and imo he was handpicked in this draft. I think Rich Bisschia deserved respect for what he’s done in GB and that guy doesn’t live in fear of fan retribution. He lives to Win and he’s very confident in his ability. I’ve got to side with him until proven otherwise. Wasn’t he the ST Coordinator that brought us Keasein Nixon? Dallin Leavitt and Rudy Ford?? Yeah he’s got some serious clout Rich has totally turned around our ST and he’s done nothing to hurt us, he deserves some trust
What we should have though, is a guy that can put every kickoff into the EZ and if need be, have a leg that might win a game with a 60+ yarder.
There is a major advantage having a range from 60-65 yards. You come into scoring range once past midfield. Especially with little to no risk of turning the ball over, such as inside :20 sec in any half or OT. He’s going to be labeled “Sniper” once he hits one from 60+ or straight up wins a game for us. Bastards won’t know what hit ‘em

Reaction score
Scuttlebutt on the holder/punter O'Donnell being cut?
We just picked up $450K (offset) Whelan had a strong Camp and proved he’s got a formidable leg after finishing PS with a 67 yard Bomb.
We must feel comfortable in switching holders or they wouldn’t have punted Pat

Looks like we’re Whelan and Dallin! :)

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's Monday morning, but I'm confused - is this supposed to be good?
I was referencing the scenario of hitting a 57 yarder, then shanking 2 PAT'S, one into the tunnel, & one into the Pro Shop (1 for 5). Don't know what his TC stats were but guessing (including practices) was 80-90%, which needs to be acceptable unless MLF chooses to move on.

Reaction score
I can’t get it to load right now. Did you guys see the You tube Video of Whelan kicking a 72-yard FG (no pads)

Search

72-yard Field Goal is Quite Impressive

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can’t get it to load right now. Did you guys see the You tube Video of Whelan kicking a 72-yard FG (no pads)

Search

72-yard Field Goal is Quite Impressive
Here you go. Looked wide left, but I think it was the camera angle, a guy caught it and he appeared to be between the posts. Sounds and looks like we not only have a punter with a big leg, but a back-up kicker with that punter.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
We just picked up $450K (offset) Whelan had a strong Camp and proved he’s got a formidable leg after finishing PS with a 67 yard Bomb.
We must feel comfortable in switching holders or they wouldn’t have punted Pat

Looks like we’re Whelan and Dallin! :)
You silver tongued wascally wabbit! :roflmao:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine the clock running out. Ten seconds left and the opponent punts the ball. Our receiver calls a fair catch and there's two seconds left. The ball is on our own 43 yard line, and there's solid wind at our kicker's back. We're down by 2. Send Whelan in and let him try the free kick for a FG that's allowed by rule. That's a 67 yard FG, and if it's good, you win the game.

Don't sell it short. Back in the old days, Lombardi called for a free kick FG from Paul Hornung as the first half was running out. Hornung kicked what was then the Packer record, a 51 yarder smack between the goal posts.

By the way. If some don't remember, I said Whelan was gonna get the job over O'Donnell. Thought I'd rub it in a little. ;)