An Encouraging Sign

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all the good that came in this game, something towards the end of the game made me feel this team has turned the corner from Seattle and has a real shot.

Up 31-13 with about 5 minutes to play, the Packers took over with the game nearly in hand. In this situation, McCarthy's custom is to run, run, run, and limp to the finish line. On Sunday, however, Rodgers came out firing, not only on third down, but first and second sometimes. They went for the throat. They moved right down through the air and scored a TD, not a FG. 38-13, good night. I'm not sure how much it is McCarthy or Rodgers just saying I'm winning this, but both have come a long way since the Seattle game. I even liked Randall returning the interception fifty yards unneccessarily even though the game was over. This team is finally playing to win, as opposed to playing not to lose.

Edit: The 4th and 1 on your own side of the field up 8 was a bit much but I'm sure McCarthy acknowledges that and will reel it in a bit

Last edited:

Sky King

Reaction score
For all the good that came in this game, something towards the end of the game made me feel this team has turned the corner from Seattle and has a real shot.

Up 31-13 with about 5 minutes to play, the Packers took over with the game nearly in hand. In this situation, McCarthy's custom is to run, run, run, and limp to the finish line. On Sunday, however, Rodgers came out firing, not only on third down, but first and second sometimes. They went for the throat. They moved right down through the air and scored a TD, not a FG. 38-13, good night. I'm not sure how much it is McCarthy or Rodgers just saying I'm winning this, but both have come a long way since the Seattle game. I even liked Randall returning the interception fifty yards unneccessarily even though the game was over. This team is finally playing to win, as opposed to playing not to lose.
Good observation.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
McCarthy has to understand that he has the most efficient quarterback in the history of the NFL. Remain aggressive, and trust your quarterback to go for the throat.

Very encouraging sign.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a line on being aggressive. The 4th and 1 was stupid.

Big Ben ends up in a boot after the Steelers stated aggressive to the end.

I know people don't like it but a conservative approach can be the right one alot of times

OP
OP
Arod2gjdd

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I know people don't like it but a conservative approach can be the right one alot of times

It was a poor decision, one which was acknowledged after the fact. I was in no way defending that particular decisionor playcall, just noting the shift in mentality.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it was stupid, I think the play called was stupid, it wasnt really 1 yard needed it was inches and your at home. Silent count QB sneak easy pick up.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was just a really dumb play. QB sneak or give it to Rip. Or even Michael.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it was stupid, I think the play called was stupid, it wasnt really 1 yard needed it was inches and your at home. Silent count QB sneak easy pick up.

Going for it on 4th and one, on your own side of the 50 in a 1 score game is simply put a bad idea no matter what the play call is

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Everyone would be singing a different tune if they would have made it. He would be deemed a hero!:confused:
I said in the chat before the play happened that I wouldn't have done it. You're up 14-6 in the 3rd quarter, your defense hasn't given up a touchdown the entire game, and you're on your on 40 yard line and not only do you go for it, you go with the most laughably predictable 1 yard play call in football.

It was a bad decision regardless of the play call, but the play call made it worse.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Michael was hot. I would have spread things out a bit and toss it to Christine, let him run around the end or if he spots a seam, cut it up.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going for it on 4th and one, on your own side of the 50 in a 1 score game is simply put a bad idea no matter what the play call is
I disagree your at home, your dbs been getting burned like no other for deep balls if the balls were caught then we are losing. No better time to go for a 4th and inches is when your up and at home. I like the decision keep the ball away from eli and keep the momentum, it was the play called that was crazy. Inches to go just silent count qb sneak it. The defense 20 to 20 don't do that great anyway. The D do better in the redzone less field they have to defend less stress on the dbs.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Michael was hot. I would have spread things out a bit and toss it to Christine, let him run around the end or if he spots a seam, cut it up.

That's what I would have done. Put kerridge and Rip back there and trap block the DT. Michael is so quick to the hole I'm sure he would have gotten the 1 yard. It was a bd play call because Monty was running lateral vs North and South as soon as he got the ball. Not only that Rip didn't execute the block. Let these guy's go straight ahead.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I strongly believe the decision to go for it on 4th down was made when it was 3rd and a 1.... At that point he decided to punch it in knowing he had 2 tries... We have been getting the hard yard lately. And with two tries, our odds were definitely in our favor...

He was trying to go up 21-6 and put giants in desperation mode... Giants pulled off a great stop to save their game temporarily...

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score

True, but how many games have we seen MM turtle...See Seattle.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but how many games have we seen MM turtle...See Seattle.

Ughh. One. One game is really all you hot. The stats have been posted on this. The Packers don't blow leads in the 4th quarter any worse than any other team

Reaction score
As a general rule it's a bad call, particularly in a game that's low scoring up to that point. I think it was gutsy and it goes with the theme of this topic of "error on the side of aggressive". We went full throttle once things started clicking and it showed in the score

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. I clearly remember in 2010 being ticked at McCarthy for "playing conservative" all season, but then it was like a switch flipped in the playoffs that year and they started playing really aggressive. Here's to hoping we have a repeat of 2010.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the conservative play calling was a must when you have a developing team. But this Coach/QB combo has been together almost a decade now. Both are decorated veterans of their profession. They are at the top of their game. A well tuned machine. I like our offenses' chances against any defense out there. When you feel like you are better than the other team, then the odds of being aggressive go up...
To put it another way. If every coach had a QB with a 20/0 TD Int ratio the last 7 games... Conservative play calling wouldn't even exist... Right?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting. I clearly remember in 2010 being ticked at McCarthy for "playing conservative" all season, but then it was like a switch flipped in the playoffs that year and they started playing really aggressive. Here's to hoping we have a repeat of 2010.

The playoff run were the offense played well enough to be classified as good in one game, great in another, average in a third and strait up bad in a fourth?

Just saying this "error on the side of aggression" mantra is an over stated belief amongst fans

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The playoff run were the offense played well enough to be classified as good in one game, great in another, average in a third and strait up bad in a fourth?

Just saying this "error on the side of aggression" mantra is an over stated belief amongst fans

The offense was great in the SB and Atlanta.

lil dicky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM will get crap until the day he dies about running out the clock against Seattle. On the road against a team that had already picked Rodgers twice, who couldnt move the ball without turning it over, and being up 2 possessions it was the right decision. Too much hate goes towards MM on this one and too little goes towards Bostick. The Packers and MM put themselves in perfect position to win this game. Bostick simply did the dumbest thing a player can do on an onside kick. Had he either caught it or just let it go to Air Jordy we kneel it out and win the game.

D

Deleted member 6794

There´s absolutely no reason to risk Rodgers getting injured on a quarterback sneak in that situation.

Ughh. One. One game is really all you hot. The stats have been posted on this. The Packers don't blow leads in the 4th quarter any worse than any other team

The Packers are fifth in the league in winning percentage at .890 when entering the fourth quarter with a lead since McCarthy became the head coach in 2006.

Members online

Latest posts