Amish Mafia running the Packer Draft

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would rather have an ILB issue than a OL issue. And we need an OL to sit on the bench and prep for next season so next year OL is not a dire need that cannot be met.

I guess I don't see the OT position as being quite as urgent of a need as you do, that we need to spend our #1 pick on it. Unless you think Bahk isn't good enough or won't he resigned? Bulaga, while prone to injuries more then we would like, is only 27 and signed through 2019. I think the more urgent OL need is at guard for 2017.

The mocks and ratings I have seen, have Jason Spriggs being valued somewhere in early to mid second round.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I don't see the OT position as being quite as urgent of a need as you do, that we need to spend our #1 pick on it. Unless you think Bahk isn't good enough or won't he resigned? Bulaga, while prone to injuries more then we would like, is only 27 and signed through 2019. I think the more urgent OL need is at guard for 2017.

The mocks and ratings I have seen, have Jason Spriggs being valued somewhere in early to mid second round.
Bahk is okay. Not sure I would throw much money his way. Spriggs and Conklin would both be able to play guard or OT as needed. Having a high pick may make it easier to resign any of those guys. Agents can smell desperation a mile away.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The decision on Bahk will be interesting for sure and will depend a lot on the season he has. I just feel with how little TT did in Free Agency, along with Raji taking a hiatus, TT has definitely left himself in a position of drafting for 2016 needs with his first 2 picks. Drafting an offensive lineman before a DL and ILB seems like a luxury we can't afford.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Injuries are the critical factor in any given year. Last year proved disasterous when one of the OT's went down, let alone both of them in the same game. Can't afford to risk the franchise like that again.

And second, with all the FA's on the OL next year you can bet we can't afford all of them. So expect to lose at least one, if not two. If we pick Conklin, you can bet the bank he will end up on the field at some point in the year, if not having to start for a lineman who gets put on the IR. A year to pick up the system and work with the other lineman can't be overstated.

They draft is deep in the DL and we can get a solid guy in Rd 2. The LB's are thin but the bulk of the quality that is there can be had in rounds 3&4. So given the value of the position, the exposed need there last year, and depth or lack of talent at the other positions of need would really make this a great option for us.

Having said that, if the run is on OL instead of DL because of the depth there, we could easily find ourselves in an entirely different position. The question was hypothetical and I think we got some good dialog going on it. Who's to say who is right and who is wrong, the fun is in the jousting!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The question was hypothetical and I think we got some good dialog going on it. Who's to say who is right and who is wrong, the fun is in the jousting!

Agreed. :D

I wish we had the luxury to use our #1 or even our #2 on a 2017 starter on the OL, but I think TT sealed the deal by not addressing the ILB and DL needs in the FA market. However, if he is confident enough that those needs can be filled with guys after the first round, anything could happen with pick #27. If I had to guess, TT has a list of 10 or so guys he is interested in with that pick and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Conklin and Decker's name on it.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. :D
... If I had to guess, TT has a list of 10 or so guys he is interested in with that pick and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Conklin and Decker's name on it.
I have no doubt he has a board with every position ranked from top to bottom and an overall board ranked top to bottom. I'm not sure how they scale it but there are undoubtedly groupings of players who lay roughly in the same position talent and value wise. I think if the Packers ever needed to do a little fund raising, they could sell lottery tickets to let someone sit in the war room on Draft Day. (after a thorough strip search and signing a ton of legal documents).

I think as fans we pretty much have a good feel for where needs are and where we are good. Not perfect, but decent enough. Where we really have a serious gap in knowledge, is how the Packers rate each player and their fit with the team. We are normally way off base in that area. It would be like a real cool thing if, say, 15-20 years after a given draft, the Pack would release their draft board for that draft.

H

HardRightEdge

I think if the Packers ever needed to do a little fund raising, they could sell lottery tickets to let someone sit in the war room on Draft Day.
You can do that already. There are video feeds of the draft room, sans sound. But the times I've watched it everybody sits silently as Thompson pores over his computer screen, so I'm not sure if the sound would do much good. Unless the lottery tick awarded the right to stand over Thompson's shoulder to see what he's looking at, I'm not sure it would be all that much fun.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would be surprised if TT took OL before the fourth round. He seems to hit in that area. The ZBS was designed to use average but mobile lineman that can be gotten in the mid rounds or later. That said I'd not be surprised to have two or three in rounds 4 &5. They can sit on PS or the far end of the bench, inactive on gameday. Grow and learn and be ready for next off season. Taylor this season is reaching the contribute stage of draft and develop. Tretter was there last season. Walker is still in the develop stage.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can do that already. There are video feeds of the draft room, sans sound. But the times I've watched it everybody sits silently as Thompson pores over his computer screen, so I'm not sure if the sound would do much good. Unless the lottery tick awarded the right to stand over Thompson's shoulder to see what he's looking at, I'm not sure it would be all that much fun.
The winner gets it all. He gets to hear it all and see it all. That means, he gets to see the Big Board and watch how it plays out and listen to the discussions in real time. A once in a lifetime opportunity. Kind of like catching a ride in an F-16.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The winner gets it all. He gets to hear it all and see it all. That means, he gets to see the Big Board and watch how it plays out and listen to the discussions in real time. A once in a lifetime opportunity. Kind of like catching a ride in an F-16.

I would rather win the month long trip to accompany TT to that remote tropical Island some claim he visits during the Free Agency period. A few beers, some fresh fish, I'll get more information out if him there then I would in the war room and a nice tan to boot. :coffee:

H

HardRightEdge

I would rather win the month long trip to accompany TT to that remote tropical Island some claim he visits during the Free Agency period. A few beers, some fresh fish, I'll get more information out if him there then I would in the war room and a nice tan to boot. :coffee:
Good luck with that. You'd get the tan and that's about it. Expect to entertain yourself. Thompson will spend the entire trip in the room going through film downloads, and tell you nothing about what he sees.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have 2 ILBs who have experience and are servicable. They are both young and still on the upswing.

Even if you think Barrington and Ryan are serviceable the Packers currently are one injury away from headed towards complete disaster at the position. Currently the only backups on the roster are Joe Thomas and Carl Bradford and I don't want to see any of them being on the field.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if you think Barrington and Ryan are serviceable the Packers currently are one injury away from headed towards complete disaster at the position. Currently the only backups on the roster are Joe Thomas and Carl Bradford and I don't want to see any of them being on the field.
In a pinch, CM3 can play ILB, if the backups have yet to take a step. In a pinch we are screwed on the OL or if we lose a couple of starters next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

In a pinch, CM3 can play ILB, if the backups have yet to take a step. In a pinch we are screwed on the OL or if we lose a couple of starters next year.

In a pinch, that leaves us with a very thin depth chart at outside linebacker. In addition Matthews isn't a very good ILB to begin with.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I see any move to improve our situation at ILB as a move that ultimately improves 2 positions, ILB and OLB. Finding either a starter or a capable back-up/future starting ILB, should allow Clay Matthews to remain at OLB the entire year and hopefully for the rest of his career. This becomes even more important in 2017 if Peppers is gone. The Packers haven't had much luck drafting linebackers in the later rounds, so IMO its time to pony up and get it done early.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Packers offensive line will be addressed in the draft as well, but the urgency of that need coupled with the Packers past history of being able to find capable future starters in later rounds, leads me to hope TT goes heavy on the D line and linebackers in the early part of the draft.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts