Allen Lazard Thread (Potential TE?)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When allen lazard went out injured in the game it was greatly missed, the offense was not the same.
I gave you an optimistic not because I don't think Lazard is good. It is just that Aaron does not seem to be looking for anyone but Davante. If that works...fine. But I think he needs to use all his receivers against sf.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave you an optimistic not because I don't think Lazard is good. It is just that Aaron does not seem to be looking for anyone but Davante. If that works...fine. But I think he needs to use all his receivers against sf.
I think it was more so of the blocking scheme, kumerow wasnt blocking as good as lazed was. Giving Aaron more time.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was more so of the blocking scheme, kumerow wasnt blocking as good as lazed was. Giving Aaron more time.
Don't know about that. I know they like Lazard's blocking. But Kumerow made a really nice block on one of Jones's TDs. I mean it was not very difficult but he did what was needed.

H

HardRightEdge

There really isn't a universe where Lazard would be a TE. Check that. Maybe that would work is some college spread offense.

Now, Lazard might run routes out of the slot as is the habit with TEs these days, but that's as far as it goes. It's one thing to block a DB or get in the way of a LB downfield on a screen or a run. In-line blocking is a whole other animal.

I question if he's even physical enough or has the field awareness to run the inside routes out of the slot on consistent basis. I know Allison is not that guy.

After watching these playoffs, particularly SF, I've come to the conclusion that what this offense needs is a physical middle-of-the-field threat who DBs do not look forward to tackling which contributes to YAC and keeps him healthy. Graham is not a particularly physical receiver, to provide some context.

Whether it's a TE in the Kelce or Kittle mold or a WR in the Samuel mold, a guy who gives better than he gets against DBs would be a big plus. Now, plucking a Kittle, Kelce or Samual out of the draft or the free agent lists is easier said than done. But "in the mold" would be the idea.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now we're just stuck with the mold.

Allison was supposed to be a tall, speedy deep threat. What we've discovered is that he's not as good as our low-round WRs and stretching the field, and is marginal at best inside. I totally agree that they need a TE/WR that can play the middle of the field to pull in the safeties.

For his age and experience, I'm cautiously optimistic about Lazard's blocking and receiving skills.

H

HardRightEdge

LOL all you jimmy haters!
I can't say I hate him. I do hate that contract they gave him. The proof is written all over the tape over the past two seasons. What it says is "not impactful" whereas the contract said it should have been. 3 catches for 49 yards, one especially clutch, doesn't change the overall picture.

Note the snap counts in the Seattle game (per Demovsky):

Lewis: 42, 66%
Sternberger: 28, 44%
Graham: 24, 38%
Tonyan: 21, 33%

All told, that's 115 TE snaps on 64 offensive snaps for 180%, which means the Packers averaged two TEs on the field on 80% of the plays, with Graham being on the field for about 38% of the plays and only about 20% of those TE snaps.

The pass/run mix was about 50/50 well into this game, around the 45 snap mark. If you're going to run the ball that much, Graham would be your 3rd. or 4th. choice out of this group to in-line block.

He's a guy who has shown his age and mileage. He shows up regularly as "veteran rest" on the injury report along with the other grizzled vets, Tramon Williams and Lewis.

So, maybe the key is to limit his snap count and run him out on passing downs, as in this last game, to preserve the spring he has left in his step for route running.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't hate Graham either. I just wish that he had more in the tank. That's the risk you take with aging veterans.

The TE stats above are skewed by usage, since Sternberger was often used as the FB with Vitale not playing. The point remains though, that MLF is getting everyone involved. He is also getting better at recognizing the strengths and weakness of his players.

Members online

Latest posts