1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Lazard Thread (Potential TE?)

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by XPack, Dec 31, 2019.

1. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Just for everything Lazard related...

I think between Tonyan and Lazard we have ample prospects at TE to not need Jimmy G anymore

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/allen-lazard?id=32194c41-5a04-3714-cfb7-872b20b0ce13

Also count in the physical attributes...

Lazard: 6'5 227lbs
    Tonyan: 6'5 220lbs (though he was 236lbs at combine)

2. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Until he’s blocking pass rushers on the line, he’s a WR. I suspect that’s where he’ll stay

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Why in the world would we squelch the growth of arguably right now the only WR on the team pushing to be the current #2 with a position switch? I mean in the words of Cris Carter "C'MON MAAAAAAN"

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Notso

Notso Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    IIRC, after the draft, one or more teams were interested in signing Lazard as a TE and he declined.

5. GreenNGold_81

GreenNGold_81 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    If his ceiling is higher at the wr position, which I suspect it is, he should stay a wr.

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    When we signed Lazard I immediately thought they'd have him add weight & join the TE room but I'm VERY happy to be wrong on this one. A great-blocking WR is just as effective as a receiving-TE so play to his strengths.

Can't find article but I thought Tonyan entered TC at 249 lbs. and was hoping to stay over 245 during the season.
    *** Edit ~ Found it **
    https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay...tonyans-offseason-with-roommate-george-kittle

“Right now, I’m at 248, close to 250,” he said. “Last year, I was around 244. I haven’t been 237 for a while."

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  7. Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Lazard would need to beef up 20lbs to comfortably be a 3 down TE.

We need to give Sternberger a chance to develop. You can't just abandon a guy after an injury plagued year. It takes 3 years on average to get a return on the TE position. So we're coming up on Tonyan's money year. Sternberger could explode after an NFL offseason himself.

If you want an impact TE immediately. The only logical choice is Eric Ebron who's an UFA this year. Other than that it's wait and see.

8. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    The difference between being a big WR and a move TE might be more semantical than anything. But even if he stays at WR, Tonyan and Sternberger are two good developmental options as receiving first tight ends.

9. Crow

Crow Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Hunter Henry > Eric Ebron.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Dantés

Dantés Gute Loot

Packer Fan Since:
    Agree. Also, many other TE's > Eric Ebron. He's not a good tight end, and he's a dramatically overrated athlete. He's had one season where he was the TD beneficiary of a good Andrew Luck season, and that's about it for his career.

11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    The Packers should move on from Graham after this season and address the position in free agency. There's no need to move Lazard to tight end though.

12. weeds

weeds Fiber deprived old guy.

Packer Fan Since:
    I agree that Graham has to move on. A noble, but unfruitful, experiment. I still wanted them to sign Jared Cook.

I like Lazard for different reasons - perhaps not, but here goes. When the local media interviews this guy, he's well spoken, intelligent and gives a serious, well thought out answer. In short, I like his smarts. I like his attitude - this guy is a crazed lunatic on ST's and doesn't impress me as someone who is intimidated very easily. This guy would have no qualms with getting murdered over the middle.

On the flip side it SEEMS to me, by eye only, that he may need to work on wrapping up the ball once he pulls it in. I've noticed on more than one occasion that he seemingly bobbles the ball or the ball moves as he's going down or something. I'm not sure I've put my finger on it specifically but the ball moving around unnerves me a little.

13. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I think under any circumstances, we don’t need Jimmy G anymore. We didn’t need him the last two years really, or to restate, he drastically underperformed based on his contract. I’m still hoping for a TE in FA, a TE with pro experience versus a college prospect. And Tonyan is playing better, and Sternberger did well for a rookie.

14. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    you're right on graham going forward...but as meh as he's been he's still the best TE they've had the last 3 years. they just couldn't do much about it with all the higher priority problems they had to deal with.

15. Heyjoe4

Heyjoe4 Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    That’s true, and you’re right about his production compared to the other guys. Just time for all to move on.

16. mongoosev

mongoosev Cheesehead

I know a lot of people hate jimmy but jimmy can do it. jimmy is a decent blocker you have to give him that. he will get his bearings this sunday and like someone said on here he will make a big difference in the super bowl shuffle.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    i hope so, he's made some good plays for us, but he's also missed a bunch. Like to open the 2 weeks ago. I hope he comes up big all the way thru the Super Bowl :)

18. milani

milani Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    If you are going to throw the ball lining Lazar up at TE is a good idea. He can stretch the field more than a Lewis or Graham in the future. I like his blocking but I would not want him blocking a lot on running plays. He will get hurt. A 240 or 245 lb. TE is better suited for that. Back in the day Boyd Dowler was a flanker for the Packers which is today a slot receiver. An injury to the TE prompted the coach to line him up as a TE. The Bears strong safety could not cover him and before they could make a defensive adjustment we had put up a couple touchdowns.

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Tonyan caught only 10 passes this season while Sternberger didn't have a single reception. That should definitely not be good enough to rely on them developing into decent players in time for the 2020 season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gbgary

gbgary Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    true. one will be forced into duty. goes for any nube people are wanting to be an instant success. the way people are wanting to get rid of productive backups (and in some cases starters) for draft picks is alarming.

21. XPack

XPack Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Probably one of the reasons why we shouldn't be averse to giving Lazard a shot at TE. I think he has immediate potential to excess what we get from Jimmy. Tonyan can be a #2 till such time we are able to assess Jace.

Probably the only reason we don't use him as such now is that we don't have anyone to replace him at WR...which is sad state of affairs. Maybe once Eq. St Brown comes back next season....

22. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Don't get me wrong, I agree the Packers need to move on from Graham in the offseason. They should add a veteran to the position though.

23. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I'm not in favor of moving players because of a lack of talent at another position, especially as Lazard is definitely best suited to excel as a wide receiver.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mongoosev

mongoosev Cheesehead

LOL all you jimmy haters!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    In a dire situation, such as moving Clay to ILB, it can work. Montgomery at RB plugged a gap but didn't really improve anything.

However, I agree that they need to find a trusty veteran TE while seriously evaluating if Tonyan or Sternberger can take the step from blocker to consistent pass-catching tight end. I'd be fine holding on to Mercedes Lewis as a blocking TE but clearly more is needed.

Back to the OP's question, ride Lazard at WR until either we've got an embarrassment of wealth at that position or wait until he slows down around 30yrs old and then let him add some pounds and make the conversion.

• Funny Funny x 1