Allen Lazard Thread (Potential TE?)

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for everything Lazard related...

I think between Tonyan and Lazard we have ample prospects at TE to not need Jimmy G anymore

Lazard has been a productive, four-year player who relies on his size and strength to muscle Big 12 cornerbacks around when making the contested catch. Lazard is a possession receiver, but his lack of play speed and athletic ability could make separating from NFL cornerbacks a difficult challenge. With his size and toughness, a switch to pass-catching tight end might give him a better shot at having a productive NFL career.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/allen-lazard?id=32194c41-5a04-3714-cfb7-872b20b0ce13

Also count in the physical attributes...

Lazard: 6'5 227lbs
Tonyan: 6'5 220lbs (though he was 236lbs at combine)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until he’s blocking pass rushers on the line, he’s a WR. I suspect that’s where he’ll stay

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why in the world would we squelch the growth of arguably right now the only WR on the team pushing to be the current #2 with a position switch? I mean in the words of Cris Carter "C'MON MAAAAAAN"

Notso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IIRC, after the draft, one or more teams were interested in signing Lazard as a TE and he declined.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If his ceiling is higher at the wr position, which I suspect it is, he should stay a wr.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we signed Lazard I immediately thought they'd have him add weight & join the TE room but I'm VERY happy to be wrong on this one. A great-blocking WR is just as effective as a receiving-TE so play to his strengths.

Can't find article but I thought Tonyan entered TC at 249 lbs. and was hoping to stay over 245 during the season.
*** Edit ~ Found it **
https://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay...tonyans-offseason-with-roommate-george-kittle

“Right now, I’m at 248, close to 250,” he said. “Last year, I was around 244. I haven’t been 237 for a while."

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard would need to beef up 20lbs to comfortably be a 3 down TE.

We need to give Sternberger a chance to develop. You can't just abandon a guy after an injury plagued year. It takes 3 years on average to get a return on the TE position. So we're coming up on Tonyan's money year. Sternberger could explode after an NFL offseason himself.

If you want an impact TE immediately. The only logical choice is Eric Ebron who's an UFA this year. Other than that it's wait and see.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The difference between being a big WR and a move TE might be more semantical than anything. But even if he stays at WR, Tonyan and Sternberger are two good developmental options as receiving first tight ends.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hunter Henry > Eric Ebron.

Agree. Also, many other TE's > Eric Ebron. He's not a good tight end, and he's a dramatically overrated athlete. He's had one season where he was the TD beneficiary of a good Andrew Luck season, and that's about it for his career.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think between Tonyan and Lazard we have ample prospects at TE to not need Jimmy G anymore

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/allen-lazard?id=32194c41-5a04-3714-cfb7-872b20b0ce13

The Packers should move on from Graham after this season and address the position in free agency. There's no need to move Lazard to tight end though.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I agree that Graham has to move on. A noble, but unfruitful, experiment. I still wanted them to sign Jared Cook.

I like Lazard for different reasons - perhaps not, but here goes. When the local media interviews this guy, he's well spoken, intelligent and gives a serious, well thought out answer. In short, I like his smarts. I like his attitude - this guy is a crazed lunatic on ST's and doesn't impress me as someone who is intimidated very easily. This guy would have no qualms with getting murdered over the middle.

On the flip side it SEEMS to me, by eye only, that he may need to work on wrapping up the ball once he pulls it in. I've noticed on more than one occasion that he seemingly bobbles the ball or the ball moves as he's going down or something. I'm not sure I've put my finger on it specifically but the ball moving around unnerves me a little.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think under any circumstances, we don’t need Jimmy G anymore. We didn’t need him the last two years really, or to restate, he drastically underperformed based on his contract. I’m still hoping for a TE in FA, a TE with pro experience versus a college prospect. And Tonyan is playing better, and Sternberger did well for a rookie.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think under any circumstances, we don’t need Jimmy G anymore. We didn’t need him the last two years really, or to restate, he drastically underperformed based on his contract. I’m still hoping for a TE in FA, a TE with pro experience versus a college prospect. And Tonyan is playing better, and Sternberger did well for a rookie.
you're right on graham going forward...but as meh as he's been he's still the best TE they've had the last 3 years. they just couldn't do much about it with all the higher priority problems they had to deal with.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're right on graham going forward...but as meh as he's been he's still the best TE they've had the last 3 years. they just couldn't do much about it with all the higher priority problems they had to deal with.
That’s true, and you’re right about his production compared to the other guys. Just time for all to move on.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a lot of people hate jimmy but jimmy can do it. jimmy is a decent blocker you have to give him that. he will get his bearings this sunday and like someone said on here he will make a big difference in the super bowl shuffle.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope so, he's made some good plays for us, but he's also missed a bunch. Like to open the 2 weeks ago. I hope he comes up big all the way thru the Super Bowl :)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you are going to throw the ball lining Lazar up at TE is a good idea. He can stretch the field more than a Lewis or Graham in the future. I like his blocking but I would not want him blocking a lot on running plays. He will get hurt. A 240 or 245 lb. TE is better suited for that. Back in the day Boyd Dowler was a flanker for the Packers which is today a slot receiver. An injury to the TE prompted the coach to line him up as a TE. The Bears strong safety could not cover him and before they could make a defensive adjustment we had put up a couple touchdowns.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m still hoping for a TE in FA, a TE with pro experience versus a college prospect. And Tonyan is playing better, and Sternberger did well for a rookie.

Tonyan caught only 10 passes this season while Sternberger didn't have a single reception. That should definitely not be good enough to rely on them developing into decent players in time for the 2020 season.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonyan caught only 10 passes this season while Sternberger didn't have a single reception. That should definitely not be good enough to rely on them developing into decent players in time for the 2020 season.
true. one will be forced into duty. goes for any nube people are wanting to be an instant success. the way people are wanting to get rid of productive backups (and in some cases starters) for draft picks is alarming.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Probably one of the reasons why we shouldn't be averse to giving Lazard a shot at TE. I think he has immediate potential to excess what we get from Jimmy. Tonyan can be a #2 till such time we are able to assess Jace.

Probably the only reason we don't use him as such now is that we don't have anyone to replace him at WR...which is sad state of affairs. Maybe once Eq. St Brown comes back next season....

D

Deleted member 6794

true. one will be forced into duty. goes for any nube people are wanting to be an instant success. the way people are wanting to get rid of productive backups (and in some cases starters) for draft picks is alarming.

Don't get me wrong, I agree the Packers need to move on from Graham in the offseason. They should add a veteran to the position though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Probably one of the reasons why we shouldn't be averse to giving Lazard a shot at TE. I think he has immediate potential to excess what we get from Jimmy. Tonyan can be a #2 till such time we are able to assess Jace.

Probably the only reason we don't use him as such now is that we don't have anyone to replace him at WR...which is sad state of affairs. Maybe once Eq. St Brown comes back next season....

I'm not in favor of moving players because of a lack of talent at another position, especially as Lazard is definitely best suited to excel as a wide receiver.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not in favor of moving players because of a lack of talent at another position, especially as Lazard is definitely best suited to excel as a wide receiver.
In a dire situation, such as moving Clay to ILB, it can work. Montgomery at RB plugged a gap but didn't really improve anything.

However, I agree that they need to find a trusty veteran TE while seriously evaluating if Tonyan or Sternberger can take the step from blocker to consistent pass-catching tight end. I'd be fine holding on to Mercedes Lewis as a blocking TE but clearly more is needed.

Back to the OP's question, ride Lazard at WR until either we've got an embarrassment of wealth at that position or wait until he slows down around 30yrs old and then let him add some pounds and make the conversion.