All Sitton & Lang & OL threads merged

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The compensatory pick that would come with Sitton leaving as a FA next year. Don't get it.
The comp pick would be two years out and is not guaranteed. The Packers also have other potential FA's to get the picks from. And isn't there a maximum of three per team? Can't make poor decisions in an attempt to get a pick that may not materialize or be what you expect.

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The comp pick would be two years out and is not guaranteed. The Packers also have other potential FA's to get the picks from. And isn't there a maximum of three per team? Can't make poor decisions in an attempt to get a pick that may not materialize or be what you expect.
Understand--Point is you get nothing for him, including not playing in a GB uniform this year. The poor decision is managing the issue like the Bears did with Peppers and we all laughed at how stupid Chicago Management was.

The move is mind boggling.

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not coming back. Ted's light flashed NO,NO,NO!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It took only one season to replace Clifton with Bakhtiari. Once again it's possible the future starting left tackle is already on the roster in Spriggs.

It's possible one of the safeties currently on the roster will end up replacing Hyde. There's no reason to release Burnett bext offseason.
Im not buying the spriggs over bahk story. Until i see him play better , i wont be guessing that either.
A person should consider the lts drafted leading up to cliftons retirement too...

And burnetts huge contract could be a reason to let him go.... We have a gross amount of big time players to resign...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Understand--Point is you get nothing for him, including not playing in a GB uniform this year. The poor decision is managing the issue like the Bears did with Peppers and we all laughed at how stupid Chicago Management was.

The move is mind boggling.
on the surface, to us, it is. Who knows what all went into it. I think Sitton can still play, but maybe they think the back and ankle are going to be issues. To his credit, he's always fought thru it. He's one of my favorite players recently on and off the field. Just seems like a fun guy to be around, doesn't mince words, and just goes out and plays. Maybe something else happened behind closed doors? maybe Sitton made the decision for GB management easier while trying to negotiate an extension or something?
It doesn't make sense to me either, but i'm not going to get too worked up about it. We have an entire season to see how it plays out. I'm not a Lane Taylor fan, but I hope to become one I guess.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Everyone knows Sitton being released is the biggest surprise thus far. But Barrington being released then signed by the Chiefs was also a shocker! I thought week 1 would be Barrington and Ryan in the middle. Now it seems Blake Martinez will be next to Jake Ryan week 1. The only other option is Joe Thomas right? The move is interesting to say the least. The real problem now is on Oline. Sitton is so much better than anyone on the roster to replace him. Taylor is not near the same level as Sitton, I would love to know what Rodgers thinks about losing a key blocker. Both these are blindsides in my opinion. Even with Sitton and Barrington gone our shot at SuperBowl 51 is still bright indeed.
I am inclined to think a trade is in the Packer's future. Open up 7-8 million in cap space, hopefully to get a true ILB? Although I like Jake Ryan and Blake Martinez individually, I do not know how they will pan out collectively? Barrington was absolutely the more suprising cut for me, which is why I think they are looking to acquire someone more skilled at the position.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen some posts from a person who claims to have "an insider" say that there was a fight between barrington and sitton over barrington siding with kaep on the kaep situation and things got really heated and the front office decided to axe them both as not to take sides. Don't know how true it is and don't want to speculate, but just thought I'd share what I saw on another site.

Speedy14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unofficially Sitton a Bear. 3-Years, ~$21M, with $10M guaranteed. I'd post link, but too lazy.

Wish him the best, and always a Packer.

Still, Go Pack Go!

P.S. Looks like he can commute from his GB home;-)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For much more than I'd expect. About 21 million over 3 years with 10 million guaranteed.

I sure wouldn't give that much to a guy the Packers didn't want, considering they are one of the best in the league at knowing talent. It would be similar to us paying a lot for guy cut by the Patriots or Ravens or any team with a well established GM.

The Bears must have really dug into reasons he was cut and figured they liked the answers.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For much more than I'd expect. About 21 million over 3 years with 10 million guaranteed.

I sure wouldn't give that much to a guy the Packers didn't want, considering they are one of the best in the league at knowing talent. It would be similar to us paying a lot for guy cut by the Patriots or Ravens or any team with a well established GM.

The Bears must have really dig into reasons he was cut and figured they liked the answers.

Why? Sitton is 30, not 35. He's had some nagging injuries, but that didn't stop him from being one of the top guards in the league last year, and he was compensated as such.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty blown away, still. I've been trying to come up with a logical explanation.

You spend all those draft picks investing in the O-line to protect Rodgers, only to throw away your best lineman to save an unnecessary 6M+.

Short of the team doctor telling Ted privately that Sitton's knees aren't going to last the month, I have no idea what we were thinking.

Thompson has become almost brazen in his decisions. You don't make a move like this without feeling like you have complete job security. If this doesn't work out, there's going to be a ton of backlash .

Let's don't forget that TT has imput from MM when making these decisions. I don't think he just decides to cut someone without MM having any say.

There has been some speculation on another board that this may also be due to some locker room issues. I have no info to support that...I'm just passing what some others are thinking.

Maybe Sitton has been complaining that his agent and the packers have not even been talking about his contract. Sitton has never been one to keep silent. I remember last year he was rather outspoken about how he didn't like some of the plays that were called. We'll probably never know the real story. I just hope his replacement meshes well with the other linemen.

This seems to be a weird season so far. MM says that 'It's Masthay's job to lose and turns around and cuts him. Then Sitton is cut without any warning. Wondering what's going on behind closed doors.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought Sitton was a stand up guy but to go to the Bears just to stick it to Ted Thompson ... I just don't know any more. He probably would have had offers from several teams but he chose to go to a hated division rival and all because Ted Thompson cut him. I hope he knows he just destroyed his legacy in Wisconsin.

We cut Sitton, the Bears offer him 21M with 10M guaranteed, and it's Sitton's fault for taking it? He should have settled for less from somewhere else just to avoid going to a rival? I don't agree. He had every right to go there just as Peppers had every right to sign here when the Bears cut him. I don't see his legacy as a Packer compromised at all.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? Sitton is 30, not 35. He's had some nagging injuries, but that didn't stop him from being one of the top guards in the league last year, and he was compensated as such.

When a team that's very good at building a roster cuts a guy, there's probably a good reason for it.

Plenty of good Packers have left through free agency during the last few years and haven't had much success.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought Sitton was a stand up guy but to go to the Bears just to stick it to Ted Thompson ... I just don't know any more. He probably would have had offers from several teams but he chose to go to a hated division rival and all because Ted Thompson cut him. I hope he knows he just destroyed his legacy in Wisconsin.

Did you also think Peppers was a bad guy for signing with us after the Bears cut him?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha great, bold call, Scotland Yard!

Nobody saw this coming except you and TT lol, funny to read some of the old comments of people who thought you were looney.

Wait...Are you saying Scotland Yard is really Ted Thompson?

Sitton's release may have been easier to see if Linsley had been healthy in camp, you know it would have been obvious that the team had six viable starters on the OL. Seems certain they expect Linsley back in six weeks and he steps into guard duty (or C with Tretter sliding to OG). Got to believe the Packers see that as the "best for the team and growth of the offensive line" part of this whole thing...meaning once Linsley is back they're just as good as they were with Sitton, with a chance to get better in the future.

They also now have OG Lewis Patrick (Larry McCarren likes him, and that's enough for me) on the PS if injuries strike, so, they're going to weather the storm for six weeks and save the $ and the worrying about Sitton's bad back and bad ankle. Patrick should be up on the 53 by next season, if not later this year.

The Packers in this era just don't put much value on OG's and ILB's. They never draft them high and they get rid of them when they get old or expensive or both.

(On a personal note, thank you to those of you with the kind words, it really shows me the worthiness of this website where we have a lot of people who enjoy discussing the Packers without the backbiting and personal attacks some folks enjoy so much. Can't deny wanting to spike the ball a bit after the heat this prediction took, and maybe that isn't cool ("weak" is how someone put it), but, I never meant to bait anyone or be mean spirited to anybody.)

If someone has the guts to make a prediction like this I think they have a right to bring it up when it comes true. I don't know if it was you or not but not that long ago (within the last month or so maybe) someone posted that they they didn't think Sitton and/or Lang would be our starting guards and they were pretty much shot down as well. By myself as well if I recall. I'm not sure if you really believed it or if you were just really high at the time :D:D:D but good call.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When a team that's very good at building a roster cuts a guy, there's probably a good reason for it.

Plenty of good Packers have left through free agency during the last few years and haven't had much success.

That's true, but most of those guys were lesser knowns or role players. There's the Greg Jennings types, but we did try hard to keep Jennings.

When a player is a perennial top 5 player at his postion and suddenly becomes a FA, I expect him to be compensated with that value, at least moreso than compensated according to the value that their most recent front office put on him.

Top guards are actually an 8-9M market. I think the 'only' getting 7M probably reflects those concerns.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

I doubt he cared at all about "sticking it to TT". I am guessing he had 21 million other reasons, with 10 million of them guaranteed, to go to Chicago.

It's a business. It's Sitton's career.

Would you decline that kind of money? I know I wouldn't.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention, this will likely be the last big contract of Sitton's career. He just learned the hard way of the business aspect of the NFL. By all means, take the money.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a lot of posts trying to rationalize this move. I can't buy into the logic. We weren't talking about a long-term investment here. This was 1 year, where he more than likely would have given us his usual performance. We could have simply let him walk after the season. We will forfeit a future comp pick by not waiting until after the season.

Sitton showed no decline last year, and we have no adequate replacement for him -- at least not proven adequate. We also have no guarantees that Linsley will be healthy at any point this year.

So by all means OP, gloat, but for most of the rest of us, if we're really honest with ourselves, if someone had said on Thursday that they think Sitton would be cut, we would have laughed and said they were either insane or trolling. I know I would have, and I can't change my opinion on it just for it actually happening.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Sitton's release may have been easier to see if Linsley had been healthy in camp, you know it would have been obvious that the team had six viable starters on the OL. Seems certain they expect Linsley back in six weeks and he steps into guard duty (or C with Tretter sliding to OG). Got to believe the Packers see that as the "best for the team and growth of the offensive line" part of this whole thing...meaning once Linsley is back they're just as good as they were with Sitton, with a chance to get better in the future.

They also now have OG Lewis Patrick (Larry McCarren likes him, and that's enough for me) on the PS if injuries strike, so, they're going to weather the storm for six weeks and save the $ and the worrying about Sitton's bad back and bad ankle. Patrick should be up on the 53 by next season, if not later this year.

The Packers in this era just don't put much value on OG's and ILB's. They never draft them high and they get rid of them when they get old or expensive or both.

I would have been fine with releasing Sitton for cap reasons if the Packers had an adequate replacement for him on the roster as well as earlier in the offseason. Unfortunately the only other player on the roster best suited to line up at guard is Taylor and I don't have a lot of confidence in him. There's no guarantee Linsley will be healthy in six weeks or that he or Tretter excel at guard. The team better not count on undrafted free agent Lucas Patrick to develop quickly to step in for an All Pro.

Overall the move doesn't make any sense considering performance and timing of it.

I am inclined to think a trade is in the Packer's future. Open up 7-8 million in cap space, hopefully to get a true ILB? Although I like Jake Ryan and Blake Martinez individually, I do not know how they will pan out collectively? Barrington was absolutely the more suprising cut for me, which is why I think they are looking to acquire someone more skilled at the position.

I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.