All Sitton & Lang & OL threads merged

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. I was just saying that, if they end up having to play a tackle at guard, I think Bulaga, with his built, age, and previous injuries, would be a more likely choice than Spriggs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Have to agree with Captain, why mess with 2 positions, when you potentially just need to fill the one (Guard). Is everybody 100% sure Lang wont be resigned?

My only question with Spriggs, he was obviously a high draft pick and as of late, showing why. So if Bulaga sticks around through his contract (through 2019), do you keep a 2nd round pick on the bench? So possibly playing Spriggs at guard may be the ultimate solution?

D

Deleted member 6794

Have to agree with Captain, why mess with 2 positions, when you potentially just need to fill the one (Guard). Is everybody 100% sure Lang wont be resigned?

I believe there´s a realistic chance the Packers re-sign Lang this offseason.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Okay, showing ignorance here but why is it difficult for a guard to play tackle, or a tackle to play guard ?

D

Deleted member 6794

We like moving Bulaga around

While the Packers planned on moving Bulaga to left tackle for the 2013 season before he was lost for the year with a knee injury he has solely played right tackle for the team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks mate ;)

It's also a little bit of a mentality thing past physical. DTs tend to be lined up close to the ball and the rush is more instant. You need to attack more, even when you're in a pass set. Interior line is more like a wrestling match.

The DE / OT game is more about patience. Let the DE come to you, interfere, redirect. It's like a boxing match where jabs help control your opponent.

A good example of the mentality impacting a player's best position, look at Mike Whale. He was a supplemental RD2 pick mostly because he was a college LT. And he kind of flopped for us at LT. He wanted to get into a fight and tended to lunge and otherwise get beat at tackle, even though he had all the physical tools to be at least a decent LT.

So he gets moved to guard. NOW, his attitude is an asset. He thrived at LG.

Make sense?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

It's also a little bit of a mentality thing past physical. DTs tend to be lined up close to the ball and the rush is more instant. You need to attack more, even when you're in a pass set. Interior line is more like a wrestling match.

The DE / OT game is more about patience. Let the DE come to you, interfere, redirect. It's like a boxing match where jabs help control your opponent.

A good example of the mentality impacting a player's best position, look at Mike Whale. He was a supplemental RD2 pick mostly because he was a college LT. And he kind of flopped for us at LT. He wanted to get into a fight and tended to lunge and otherwise get beat at tackle, even though he had all the physical tools to be at least a decent LT.

So he gets moved to guard. NOW, his attitude is an asset. He thrived at LG.

Make sense?

Yes. Thank you. There is a lot of the technical stuff I just don`t understand because I never grew up with it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe there´s a realistic chance the Packers re-sign Lang this offseason.
I think there is also a realistic chance of Lang being re-signed. I'd probably put the chances at around 30%. I suspect the decision has alot to do with unknowns. How likely can Tretter be re-signed? What has been the progression of Spriggs/Murphy/Patrick/Barclay/Flores? Guard draft prospects? I just think it's more likely that Lang's time here is done unless he would sign a team friendly one or two year deal.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Tretter resigning as I believe he'll get more money to start elsewhere.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe TJ and Josh both were told they wouldn't be getting new deals during the season..

I think TJ gets a deal or offered one.

I'll see someone close to the team today and he may have some insight

OP
OP
Scotland Yard

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
There´s no doubt the suggestion presented in this thread is absolutely ridiculous
No, not really. It was a screwed up move handled poorly across the board. Thompson doesn't get credit for being prescient on this just because it didn't turn out to be a disaster. And while Taylor hasn't been a disaster, he hasn't been special. or even as good as Sitton.

Well, there is no doubt there are some ridiculous opinions here...like thinking Sitton could never be cut prior to 2016.

And still we have people praying at Sitton's altar, as if he were so much better than Taylor. Taylor started all 16 games this season and so far as I'm aware never even missed a practice. Sitton only started 12 games this year and missed about half of the Bears' practices, and when did play he was O.K., but, nothing special (at a price to the Bears of $10 million guaranteed, plus salaries). But, somehow Sitton still can't be criticized by some folks. Amazing.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's amazing is that anyone could seriously believe that Taylor is a better player than Sitton.

OP
OP
Scotland Yard

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Playing 16 games is better than the 12 games played by a beat-up, washed-up has been.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Riiight. Let's throw out the rest of the careers. Let's just cut it here and go with your opinion that Sitton's a has been . Taylor is a never was, but hey, he's a Packer and Sitton isn't anymore.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Riiight. Let's throw out the rest of the careers. Let's just cut it here and go with your opinion that Sitton's a has been . Taylor is a never was, but hey, he's a Packer and Sitton isn't anymore.
Sitton has been and so far still is a great player. however missing 1/4 of the season at his salary is a significant point. Taylor does not have to be as good as Sitton for the move to have been a net positive for the Packers. The tale has already been told. The Packers offensive line was a bright spot on the team this year. Would it have been even better with Sitton ... very likely, but not enough to offset the money saved and the fact that he missed 4 games. I won't even try and weigh the potential problems that the Packers brass apparently saw coming with his rumored dissatisfaction wth his impending contract negotiations.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sitton has been and so far still is a great player. however missing 1/4 of the season at his salary is a significant point. Taylor does not have to be as good as Sitton for the move to have been a net positive for the Packers. The tale has already been told. The Packers offensive line was a bright spot on the team this year. Would it have been even better with Sitton ... very likely, but not enough to offset the money saved and the fact that he missed 4 games. I won't even try and weigh the potential problems that the Packers brass apparently saw coming with his rumored dissatisfaction wth his impending contract negotiations.

Solid points, although I'd still take Sitton. Several times in the last few weeks Taylor blew assignments that resulted in defenders getting free runs at Rodgers; unacceptable, especially for a guy with 3 years in the system.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Solid points, although I'd still take Sitton. Several times in the last few weeks Taylor blew assignments that resulted in defenders getting free runs at Rodgers; unacceptable, especially for a guy with 3 years in the system.
I get your point, but we don't really have all the facts. What if some of that saved money allows the Packers to get a deal done with Lang etc....

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You Pay them because they have built a relationship with the best QB in the game. Not just any lineman can block for 6 and 7 seconds. Sitton and lang at the top of their positions. Pretty much carrying the Defense this year. O-Line the most important investment a franchise can have besides QB its crazy how you guys can just say plug someone else in there so easy.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get your point, but we don't really have all the facts. What if some of that saved money allows the Packers to get a deal done with Lang etc....
There are plenty of ways to get cap space. They resigned Bak and still have $10M, meaning they could have kept Sitton and still had 4M.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are plenty of ways to get cap space. They resigned Bak and still have $10M, meaning they could have kept Sitton and still had 4M.
At this point we are arguing minutiae, to support our own respective viewpoints. You feel cutting Sitton was a mistake. I really don't. I respect your viewpoint, and like josh Sitton, but am just not as bothered by the situation.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's amazing is that anyone could seriously believe that Taylor is a better player than Sitton.
I'm not going to argue that he is, but there is zero doubt in my mind at this point it's a move that has worked out about as well as could be expected for us. I also do not think that at any point in this season that the problems with this team had anything to do with who was playing guard. Well other than the handful of plays Barclay saw the field at guard, but never have the offensive issues been because of the guard position.