Al Mathews...What Year?

Galvbay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First post for me....congrats on a quality board. I'm looking for some information on the years that Alvin Mathews played for GB. I grew up in Kingsville, Texas and my father was a professor at Texas A&I University. Al Mathews played for Texas A&I and was a student of my father's and gave him this GB team signed ball. I think it's from the late 60's but not sure. Can anyone put a year on it? Thanks for any help. jim-tx

Attachments

• packer (512 x 384).jpg
    packer (512 x 384).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 122
  • packer1 (512 x 384).jpg
    packer1 (512 x 384).jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN4692 (676 x 507).jpg
    DSCN4692 (676 x 507).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 111

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
First post for me....congrats on a quality board. I'm looking for some information on the years that Alvin Mathews played for GB. I grew up in Kingsville, Texas and my father was a professor at Texas A&I University. Al Mathews played for Texas A&I and was a student of my father's and gave him this GB team signed ball. I think it's from the late 60's but not sure. Can anyone put a year on it? Thanks for any help. jim-tx
Packers.com | All-Time Roster | Player | Al Matthews

Image is too small to make out the writing.

OP
OP
G

Galvbay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info. I know that Bart Starr's name is on the ball...does that help in dating? Also, any idea of the value? Here's a bigger file pic. Thanks again, jim

Attachments

• DSCN4692.jpg
    DSCN4692.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 128

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reaction score

That football is from the 1970 season. Al Mathews first year.

OP
OP
G

Galvbay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking about dropping this down on the classified section and possibly sell it. Any idea of what a fair market value would be? I have this football and another one just like it from the Oakland Raiders. Eugene Upshaw also played down at Texas A&I and gave the ball to my father. I'm not a big collector and I'm just wanting to 'thin' some stuff out after a move. You guys have been very helpful...again, thanks! Jim G

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a SB year so its not going to be huge number but you might get $1500 to 2k. Not sure.

If you have a contact number I can put someone in contact with you that will get you some cash for it. Either through an auction company or he will buy it himself.

OP
OP
G

Galvbay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also...the ball is a little 'deflated'....should I air it up or keep as is?? It's been in a plastic display case and is in very good condition. Thanks again..jim

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leave it as is.

I forwarded your info to someone, he should contact you in a few days.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I spoke with him and he doesnt deal in anything post Lombardi.

You might want to try ebay or consigning it to American Memorabilia

OP
OP
G

Galvbay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks so much for trying to help out. If you know anyone else that may interested in the football...send them my way. I know there is someone out there that would really appreciate the ball. jim

Latest posts