Adams

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is mind boggling how short sighted a ton of fans are with young skilled position guys. When you look at all the draftees/UDFAs added to rosters every year, the percentage of WR/TE/RBs that actually put up veteran level production is just almost non-existent and yet we see folks expect it time and time again.
Yes, well, right more than wrong. Do you still want to watch Jamon Moore?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, well, right more than wrong. Do you still want to watch Jamon Moore?

Its more the unrealistic folks I struggle with. Moore illustrated an overall lack of ability nor did he illustrate signs of growth.

Take MVS as the most recent example. Vastly too many fans are playing naive and expecting #2 or veteran like production from a Day 3 VERY RAW when drafted kid out of South Florida. Just pump the breaks, be realistic and weigh where a guy is vs where he arguably should be. Adams got far too much criticism early...James Jones did as well...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The supporting cast around Rodgers is underrated.

Adams is one of the best receivers in the NFL. Rodgers makes all of his weapons better, but in Adams' case it's reciprocated-- he makes Rodgers better too. A perfect example was Adams' long TD yesterday. He adjusted to an off-target throw and then housed it.

Rodgers also has one of the best offensive lines in the entire league. OL play doesn't get nearly the attention that WR's do, but a stellar OL is vastly (I mean-- vastly) more valuable and important than your WR2.

There are two players in the backfield who are capable running the ball, who can run routes and threaten in the passing game, and who are excellent in blitz pickup. Part of Rodgers being so clean this year is down to Jones and Williams. Compare Brady's backfield to Rodgers'-- it's a huge advantage to Green Bay.

And lastly, Rodgers' current offense and play caller is doing as good a job as any in the league at creating easy offense. LaFleur's system does him a ton of favors. And he also does the system a ton of favors by playing amazing in it. Both are true.

Now Rodgers absolutely makes the guys who fill out the supporting cast (Tonyan, Lazard, MVS, EQ) better. And those weapons down the depth chart are not great, though some of them have some legit redeeming qualities and are growing (e.g. Tonyan).

But I am pretty sick of hearing about how Rodgers doesn't have any help. He has a WR1 who has a legit case to be the best in the league, he has great OL play, he has fantastic design and play calling, he has a very good backfield, and he has a developing weapon at TE.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was one forum member who was very frustrated with Adams in 2015, although I never advocated cutting him. His sophomore year was nightmarish, but credit to the organization with sticking with him and to Adams himself for shaking off a bad year and turning into perhaps the best in the league.

Sometimes it takes talented WR's a while to figure it out - Jordy Nelson comes to mind.

Now, I get frustrated with MVS, but I keep in mind his potential and high ceiling, and try to be patient....If he ever figures it all out, he could be a beast.

Or he may never get any better than he is now, we'll just have to wait and see.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is one of the best jukers in history, routinely turning short gains into massive gains with a little juke.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The supporting cast around Rodgers is underrated.

Adams is one of the best receivers in the NFL. Rodgers makes all of his weapons better, but in Adams' case it's reciprocated-- he makes Rodgers better too. A perfect example was Adams' long TD yesterday. He adjusted to an off-target throw and then housed it.

Rodgers also has one of the best offensive lines in the entire league. OL play doesn't get nearly the attention that WR's do, but a stellar OL is vastly (I mean-- vastly) more valuable and important than your WR2.

There are two players in the backfield who are capable running the ball, who can run routes and threaten in the passing game, and who are excellent in blitz pickup. Part of Rodgers being so clean this year is down to Jones and Williams. Compare Brady's backfield to Rodgers'-- it's a huge advantage to Green Bay.

And lastly, Rodgers' current offense and play caller is doing as good a job as any in the league at creating easy offense. LaFleur's system does him a ton of favors. And he also does the system a ton of favors by playing amazing in it. Both are true.

Now Rodgers absolutely makes the guys who fill out the supporting cast (Tonyan, Lazard, MVS, EQ) better. And those weapons down the depth chart are not great, though some of them have some legit redeeming qualities and are growing (e.g. Tonyan).

But I am pretty sick of hearing about how Rodgers doesn't have any help. He has a WR1 who has a legit case to be the best in the league, he has great OL play, he has fantastic design and play calling, he has a very good backfield, and he has a developing weapon at TE.

To your point about the offensive line, Rodgers has only been sacked 13 times this year, or 2.8% of pass attempts. If that number holds, it would be by far the lowest sack rate of his career, easily besting 5.1% in 2014. It would also be more than twice as good as his career sack rate, which is 6.6%.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
To your point about the offensive line, Rodgers has only been sacked 13 times this year, or 2.8% of pass attempts. If that number holds, it would be by far the lowest sack rate of his career, easily besting 5.1% in 2014. It would also be more than twice as good as his career sack rate, which is 6.6%.

Yep. Which is equal parts OL talent, scheme (LaFleur), and Rodgers operating in the system well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Adams is one of the best jukers in history, routinely turning short gains into massive gains with a little juke.
He’s got fabulous moves for sure, both in getting separation before the ball comes and then after the catch. He’s a very smooth, powerful receiver. IMO, he has surpassed Nelson and Jennings as our best receiver this century. I don’t see how he cannot be named 1st team all pro this year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes talented WR's a while to figure it out - Jordy Nelson comes to mind.

Now, I get frustrated with MVS, but I keep in mind his potential and high ceiling, and try to be patient....If he ever figures it all out, he could be a beast.

Or he may never get any better than he is now, we'll just have to wait and see.
Nelson’s production didn’t surpass James Jones until his 4th year. I think Scantling is similar to Jones in that neither IMO are instinctive athletes like Jennings, Nelson and Adams. That said, currently he’s playing his role very well and we can just hope that continues.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yet people rant and rave over a few drops. I still think its one of the most over rated stats. Yes its its frustrating when a WR drops what should have been a sure catch but in many cases its not hard to overcome. Its more of an issue when your whole team drops a bunch like the 6 the Steelers had vs the team they lost to the weekend before they lost to the Bills this past weekend.

The league leader in drops usually has what...maybe 1 per game on average. How many of them can be considered game changers. IMO a drop on first or second down is not much worse than a run for no gain. If its a sure TD then yeah it hurts but otherwise its just another play that results in no yards gained. If its third and one and a WR drops a screen pass is that any worse than a RB being stopped for no gain? It still results in a punt.

Don't get me wrong. Like I said it sucks when they drop passes and I agree that if they drop too many its time to cut bait but I just don't think its as big of a deal that most people make it out to be.

Members online

Latest posts