Actual Signed Roster For 2022

D

Deleted member 6794

Another point. I’m pretty sure they know Watson could excel at KR. Please don’t someone assert that he can’t beat Amari Rodgers pedestrian KR average. It doesn’t have anything to do with him not pulling that average up 5 + yards. It has to do with risk, #53 and #59 is a lot to invest and then see 1 injury erase it.

If Bisaccia would be convinced that Watson offers an upgrade at kick returner they should definitely use him instead of Amari in that role.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a risk, returning kicks. The reason they instituted new rules on kick offs is because of them. Risking an every down player on special teams is a high risk factor, especially when it comes to the skill categories. That's why you usually find that the KR guys are marginal WRs, DBs, or in some cases, even RBs. They have the speed, but aren't really good enough every down.

There was a time when guys worked their rears off to make these teams, knowing it was their ticket into the NFL. In many cases, the only ticket. They write stories, and make movies, about guys like that. Vince Papale, of the Eagles, is a prime example. A special teams player, listed as a WR, who had 1 catch in 3 years in the NFL, was credited for 4 years I believe, but was yet, an important part of their team. He worked to become a ST dynamo.

Personally, I don't mind seeing Amari Rodgers returning kicks, but I'm not too fond of Doubs doing it. He figures as an important figure down the road for the Packers. He's going to defnitely be a good receiver, in my opinion.

Reaction score
If Bisaccia would be convinced that Watson offers an upgrade at kick returner they should definitely use him instead of Amari in that role.
You would think so right?

I’m not so sure though with all these WR dinged up currently. Pretty good argument (after the Khylin injury) that we think Watson’s full, unrealized potential + combined with draft capital used (#53 + #59) + a banged up WR room might change the tide back again. If we were operating at full strength and Watson was getting low usage anyway? Maybe a small chance they’d consider it. The Coaches obviously know he successfully fielded Kicks in the past.

No doubt in my mind that #9 is higher than #8. :whistling:

They aren’t finished with the Amari project just yet imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

There's a risk, returning kicks. The reason they instituted new rules on kick offs is because of them. Risking an every down player on special teams is a high risk factor, especially when it comes to the skill categories. That's why you usually find that the KR guys are marginal WRs, DBs, or in some cases, even RBs. They have the speed, but aren't really good enough every down.

I know that players are at a larger risk of getting injured on kickoff returns but I wonder if that's true for the returner as well.

It seems to me that most injuries happen to the players trying to block for the returner or the ones trying to tackle him.

I don't have any numbers to support that though.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that players are at a larger risk of getting injured on kickoff returns but I wonder if that's true for the returner as well.

It seems to me that most injuries happen to the players trying to block for the returner or the ones trying to tackle him.

I don't have any numbers to support that though.
I haven't found any studies that indicated the injury potential for return men, versus other positions on kicks and punts, but I do know that as a segment of the game itself, it's a high risk part of it. That's why a lot of teams opt to use lesser players on these teams, fearing the possibility of losing their three down players to senseless injuries.

I thought about your statement, that the majority of injuries are to others, not the return men. I'd say that's true. But, since there is only one return man, and 21 other players on the field, that only 1 of 22 injuries could be to the guy returning the ball. That's roughly 4.5%. Just based on perceptions, I believe that figure is significantly higher. Is it higher than the risk to gunners, or the guys kicking and punting the ball? I'm not certain, but I'm going to say it probably is higher.

As one study, from the medical field suggested, what do you expect when huge men wearing a modicum of body armor run at each other from 40 yards away and smash into each other? The impact is enormous.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I took Aaron's statement on Amari to mean he is disappointed that the coaches only have Amari returning kicks and that Aaron believes he should be on the field more.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I took Aaron's statement on Amari to mean he is disappointed that the coaches only have Amari returning kicks and that Aaron believes he should be on the field more.

I actually heard a similar thought from a guy closer to the team than me. Which makes some sense as you know Cobb is in Amaris corner and Rodgers is in Cobbs.

Reaction score
You know I didn’t seriously consider that, but I could see it as a possibility. I think this PS, Amari earned the opportunity to at least be in some O packages. Obviously when Cobb is out there you’ve got to go with the veteran. But if Cobb is out? It’s very likely we’ll see Amari more Sunday.

Coaches make mistakes also sometimes overlooking a player. We saw that at MN with our RB’s. They were basically an afterthought when we consider their dual potential.
It wouldn’t be inconceivable to unintentionally dismiss Amari.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno. I'm not going to read anything into what Rodgers or LeFleur have said. It could also signal disappointment about how well he's catching on to the system. It could also mean that the circumstances during a game doesn't allow for them to use the formations he's favored in as often as they like. It could mean he has a minor injury, keeping him from doing something. It could mean almost anything.

I'll let it all play out with him, even though I have thought for quite some time he was a wasted draft pick, at the level he was taken.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I considered that view, but only briefly. I've never really heard Rodgers go out of his way to praise Amari, suggest he be more involved, etc. It's been more the opposite. Running wrong routes, etc. If it were the case I can see him dropping some lines like, we have guys busting their tails, ready to roll, we just have to get them on the field and give them opportunity. I don't see any of that sort of stuff directed at or around him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with Mondio that Aaron didn't mean it that way but there's no way of knowing for sure.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't find the thread and thought deleted (unstickied is all).

Updated the OP to reflect latest moves.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Eric Wilson - ILB is now on the Packers roster. I think this signing speaks volumes but I'm not exactly sure the reasoning and I want to know what others think.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eric Wilson - ILB is now on the Packers roster. I think this signing speaks volumes but I'm not exactly sure the reasoning and I want to know what others think.
It sounds to me like they feel they'll need another body at ILB. Makes me wonder who won't be back, and why?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like they feel they'll need another body at ILB. Makes me wonder who won't be back, and why?
One possible answer? Barnes injury worse than they thought? Lack of faith in McDuffie? I think they may be squeezed into a box right now. I think Walker should be on the field for less snaps than he is currently playing.

Reaction score
One possible answer? Barnes injury worse than they thought? Lack of faith in McDuffie? I think they may be squeezed into a box right now. I think Walker should be on the field for less snaps than he is currently playing.
My take is a cross between that:.
and they’ve had scouts eyeing Eric Wilson for a little bit now. He’s actually a very productive player when on the field.
I noticed Blake got signed by Oakland, I think they kicked those tires also. However Eric was slightly cheaper and he seems to be a more balanced LB in the passing game than Blake.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wilson is a ST demon and capable of playing some D snaps as #4 ILB. Don't know if there are any other ulterior motives than beefing up the coverage teams...especially if Ford is needed on D on occasion.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wilson is a ST demon and capable of playing some D snaps as #4 ILB. Don't know if there are any other ulterior motives than beefing up the coverage teams...especially if Ford is needed on D on occasion.

Wilson played a significant amount of snaps on defense in his three seasons in Minnesota. The Packers might want to use him as an inside linebacker moving forward as well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Wilson played a significant amount of snaps on defense in his three seasons in Minnesota. The Packers might want to use him as an inside linebacker moving forward as well.
I could see that as well in certain situations where Walker is weak.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they figured Quay was athletic enough to make up for his lack of experience and mistakes early on, and sometimes he has been and it would be trial by fire and he'd pick it up. But right now I think he and Savage have been the 2 weak links in the D.
Yes, others have had some poor play but for the most part, early rust has been shaken off and most of those guys are all playing pretty well.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Campbell has missed more tackles already this season than he did all of last year. Walker and Savage aren't the only ones not holding up to their role.

Members online

Latest posts