Abby has earned the #3 spot.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like what i've seen from him. He is a far better route runner than Adams and Janis...and he catches the ball better than Adams and Janis. I'm a huge Janis fan because the guy is a physical specimen and can stretch the field. However, it's about getting open and catching the ball..and at this moment Abby does is better than anyone not named Randle Cobb or Jordy Nelson. My only question is will he be able to produce on the outside? because Cobb is much better in the slot..altho Cobb is bigger and physical. Hmmm??

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been very impressed with Abby, but I highly doubt that he'll actually be the #3 WR. They like Davante too much and Monty looked really good in his playing time last season.

This could all change throughout the season though, and I'm hoping Abby shines this season.

and yeah, he's a MUCH better WR than Janis.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been very impressed with Abby, but I highly doubt that he'll actually be the #3 WR. They like Davante too much and Monty looked really good in his playing time last season.

This could all change throughout the season though, and I'm hoping Abby shines this season.

and yeah, he's a MUCH better WR than Janis.

The ONLY reason Adams would be the #3 over Abby is because he's bigger and more physical than Abby..that's it. You usually don't see smalller wr's on the outside unless they can flat out fly like Antonio Brown or even a Sammy Watkins. Other than that there's no other valid reason to play Adams over Abby...could care less about where TT drafted Adams. As for Montgomery? yea he's solid.. but, imo he hasn't beaten out Abby either.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ONLY reason Adams would be the #3 over Abby is because he's bigger and more physical than Abby..that's it. You usually don't see smalller wr's on the outside unless they can flat out fly like Antonio Brown or even a Sammy Watkins. Other than that there's no other valid reason to play Adams over Abby...could care less about where TT drafted Adams. As for Montgomery? yea he's solid.. but, imo he hasn't beaten out Abby either.
This is make or break for Davante. He'll either be the guy we saw in the Cowboys game or he'll be the guy we saw in 2015. If we get the latter, then I can totally see Abby and Monty battling for that spot.

Also, remember that Monty is coming off a serious injury so he's been adjusting back.... but Abby really has had a great camp and I hope he'll be a secret weapon this year.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante doesn't separate and his hands have been too spotty to make up for it. Monty is a pure slot guy like Randall Cobb. Abby actually has looked pretty good on the outside but he well will he do against bigger and more physical corners?

See his 40 yarder last night, the route the way he played through contact and then his adjustment to the ball all spot on. Monty always looked like a dog playing the piano on those routes.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think Abby locked up a spot not only at WR but as the return man. Because he mainly plays in the slot, I don't see him starting, but will be brought in situationally. Between him, Adams and Montgomery I think he brings more consistency to the position but less potential upside. He is the guy you bring in that AR trusts to run his routes and make the catches when asked. Cook is going to add a huge dimension to the passing game. Would love to see a formation of Cobb and Abby on opposite slot sides, Jordy on the outside and Cook shifting outside and joining the other 3 in the pattern.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Montgomery has a bit of catching up to do. He's not where he was last year, but I think he'll get there sooner than later. I expect those three, Abby, Monty, and Adams to be in heavy rotation regardless of what number we assigne them

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Abby locked up a spot not only at WR but as the return man. Because he mainly plays in the slot, I don't see him starting, but will be brought in situationally. Between him, Adams and Montgomery I think he brings more consistency to the position but less potential upside. He is the guy you bring in that AR trusts to run his routes and make the catches when asked. Cook is going to add a huge dimension to the passing game. Would love to see a formation of Cobb and Abby on opposite slot sides, Jordy on the outside and Cook shifting outside and joining the other 3 in the pattern.

If Davante keeps struggling with his hands I wouldn't be surprised to see Abby steal some of his snaps or maybe even steal that number 3 spot. Abby needs to prove that he can stay healthy in season first.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Davante keeps struggling with his hands I wouldn't be surprised to see Abby steal some of his snaps or maybe even steal that number 3 spot. Abby needs to prove that he can stay healthy in season first.

Yea he's a concussion away from joining the likes of Chris borland..who just happens to be another former Badger??

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yea he's a concussion away from joining the likes of Chris borland..who just happens to be another former Badger??
How are the two related....concussions and former Badger Players? If memory serves me correct Armani Reeves who happens to be a former OSU player *cough cough* quit football for the same reason, as have countless other players from various colleges, High Schools and Pro Teams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How are the two related....concussions and former Badger Players? If memory serves me correct Armani Reeves who happens to be a former OSU player *cough cough* quit football for the same reason, as have countless other players from various colleges, High Schools and Pro Teams.

They're not. haha i was messing with Wisconsin Badger fans...i think it worked.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Disagree that Abby is #3. For me, Montgomery is #3, and after that Abby is a return man who is a fifth or sixth WR on most NFL rosters. (As a Badger fan/lifelong Wisconsinite, I take no joy in this, but, I've got to call it honestly.)

If you watched the games vs. OAK and SF, Abby was having trouble getting off the press, and the CB's were pressing him aggressively. Remember, these CB's were backups at best. I don't see Abby as having enough strength to beat those jams at the line when the elite CB's are going to be draped all over him like stink on a skunk.

When they removed Abby and inserted Davis in one of the preseason games, the same CB that was one yard off Abby the series before was now playing nine yards off Davis. They just had no respect for Abby.

My pecking order is:

1 - Nelson
2 - Cobb
3 - Montgomery
4- Davis
5 thru 8 (in no order) - Adams, Abby, Geronimo, Janis

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, remember that Monty is coming off a serious injury so he's been adjusting back.... but Abby really has had a great camp and I hope he'll be a secret weapon this year.

there is no doubt that abby would be beneficial to this offense this season with his prowess catching abilities that transcend time and space to the outer limits. the guy is good! there is no doubt about that. he has proven himself time and time again this preseason and last year. I knew this guy would be special when he made that spectacular catch that put him on the DL. this time he made another spectacular catch last night but got up and went back to work. he is looking good!

I wouldn't be surprised if he made a special appearance on duck dynasty with his beard!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree that Abby is #3. For me, Montgomery is #3, and after that Abby is a return man who is a fifth or sixth WR on most NFL rosters. (As a Badger fan/lifelong Wisconsinite, I take no joy in this, but, I've got to call it honestly.)

If you watched the games vs. OAK and SF, Abby was having trouble getting off the press, and the CB's were pressing him aggressively. Remember, these CB's were backups at best. I don't see Abby as having enough strength to beat those jams at the line when the elite CB's are going to be draped all over him like stink on a skunk.

When they removed Abby and inserted Davis in one of the preseason games, the same CB that was one yard off Abby the series before was now playing nine yards off Davis. They just had no respect for Abby.

My pecking order is:

1 - Nelson
2 - Cobb
3 - Montgomery
4- Davis

In no way would I have Montgomery and Davis ahead of Adams or Abby. What have either of those two done.

It's become pretty clear that Adams and Abby will be the #3/4 wideouts with Montgomery sprinkled in. Having Janis even listed as a possible #5 is just strange at this point

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My pecking order is:

1 - Nelson
2 - Cobb
3 - Montgomery
4- Davis

remember those "elite" CB's are going to focus more on nelson and cobb. when you factor in cook and abby it's going to be very unlikely the team will be anything but effective, especially with rodgers behind the wheel.

Last edited:

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abby showed he could beat quality corners in the playoffs last year vs Arizona. I see him having a sneaky good season, maybe 500yds and 5Tds. He has better hands than Adams or TyMo. Just needs to stay healthy, he did add some weight and got up from some big hits this preseason.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think ppl are giving up on Adams way too early. He's going to open the season as our wr3 and I'm betting he looks good doing it too. Some guys just can't shoulder a number 1 load but thrive in a smaller role. I'm thinkin Adams is one of those types, at least this early in his career.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with Mondio that the Packers will use Adams, Montgomery and Abbrederis extensively on offense in different formations and packages. The former Badger has for sure earned significant playing time with his performance during this offseason.

My pecking order is:

1 - Nelson
2 - Cobb
3 - Montgomery
4- Davis

I really have no idea about the reasons a Packers fan would rank Davis, who is nursing a shoulder injury as well, ahead of Adams and Abbrederis.

Janis and Allison aren't on the same level either.