Aaron to Jordy, the best connection since???

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I missed one...Tobin Rote-to-Billy Howton. They had 5 highly productive seasons from 1952 - 1956.

Lost in the fog of history is the fact that Howton retired in 1963 as the all-time leader in receptions. He had his best years in this period including two 1,000 yd. seasons (at a time when it was a rare occurrence), 3 Pro Bowls and 1 All Pro selection.

Unfortunately, these seasons occurred in the first Packer dark age...the team record over those 5 years was 22-37-1 with no season over 0.500.

An interesting side note: Lombardi's first trade, about 2 months after he took the reins in 1959, was Howton to Cleveland for Lew Carpenter and Bill Quinlan. Howton made Pro Bowl his first year in Cleveland and had a couple other productive seasons after, though past his prime.

Not everything Lombardi touched turned to gold.
bravo, you found a connection that no one talks about.
Can we get a Howton to Canton campaign going?

H

HardRightEdge

as is dilweg.

but shh, saying that is sacrilegious to packer fans as the only one they will scream about is Kramer.
Dilweg should get more consideration. We're talking the father, not the son, of course. ;)

Maybe in the son waged an unseemly campaign, like Kramer's family, the father would get some traction with the fans. :confused:

I mentioned Tobin Rote earlier. He's more often associated with Detroit because he led them to a championship, but he spent his first 7 years in Green Bay. He was a dual threat, racking up a lot of rushing yards and TDs over the years to go with the Howton pass-and-catch cited earlier. Sadly, the Packer defenses in those years were terrible.

Rote still holds the NFL record for QBs leading his team in rushing 4 times...3 in GB, 1 in DET. Interesting second career chapter...after 10 years in the NFL, he spent 3 years in the Canadian league, then played in the AFL, winning the Championship and league MVP in 1963.

I read that he's the only QB to win a championship in both the NFL and AFL. I thought that might not be true, but I cannot think of another.

I was surprised to discover he's not in the Pro Football HOF when researching the QB/receiver combos. It's especially surprising given the Hall started giving more credit for AFL lines in the resume in recent years.

Dilweg, Rote, Howton, Kramer, Sharpe...all worthy of serious consideration.

I'm still baffled why the Kramer stumpers didn't mention the Power Sweep in their latest letter to the Hall posted here. Is this some kind of Lombardi grudge? I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly, Favre only had Sharpe for three seasons, so I'm not going to count that one, as it didn't go on very long. Favre had a lot of good receivers over the years - it's difficult to separate a lot of his connections. I would pick ****ey to Lofton as the best long-term combo, since it's become Rodgers to Nelson. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dilweg should get more consideration. We're talking the father, not the son, of course. ;)

Maybe in the son waged an unseemly campaign, like Kramer's family, the father would get some traction with the fans. :confused:

I mentioned Tobin Rote earlier. He's more often associated with Detroit because he led them to a championship, but he spent his first 7 years in Green Bay. He was a dual threat, racking up a lot of rushing yards and TDs over the years to go with the Howton pass-and-catch cited earlier. Sadly, the Packer defenses in those years were terrible.

Rote still holds the NFL record for QBs leading his team in rushing 4 times...3 in GB, 1 in DET. Interesting second career chapter...after 10 years in the NFL, he spent 3 years in the Canadian league, then played in the AFL, winning the Championship and league MVP in 1963.

I read that he's the only QB to win a championship in both the NFL and AFL. I thought that might not be true, but I cannot think of another.

I was surprised to discover he's not in the Pro Football HOF when researching the QB/receiver combos. It's especially surprising given the Hall started giving more credit for AFL lines in the resume in recent years.

Dilweg, Rote, Howton, Kramer, Sharpe...all worthy of serious consideration.

I'm still baffled why the Kramer stumpers didn't mention the Power Sweep in their latest letter to the Hall posted here. Is this some kind of Lombardi grudge? I don't get it.

No lombardi grudge, Robinson just went in.

H

HardRightEdge

No lombardi grudge, Robinson just went in.
I think you misunderstood.

A Kramer supporter presented here a letter outlining Kramer's accomplishments that he wanted all of us to sign and send on to the league or the HOF committee, whatever. That letter made no mention of the Power Sweep. He didn't bury the lead; he omitted it altogether. When I pointed out that gross oversight, he got nasty with me.

So the question is, did that supporter hold some Lombardi grudge?

Why would he not tightly associate Kramer with Lombardi's signature play, one of the signature innovations of the modern game, a play that was the backbone of 5 championships, and an innovation that Kramer was instrumental in executing? It's as though he was scrupulously avoiding the Kramer-Lombardi link.

What follows is a link to a highlight tape illustrating my point, and this clip does not include his signature play...it was the one where he ran in front of Taylor, I think it was, all the way down the field, knocking down one guy after another all the way the end zone. The Ice Bowl block was one thing, one moment, and had little to do with what Kramer was about as a player.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

More likely I'm over thinking it. The quality of the letter was so poor that the simple answer is that guy did not know what he was talking about. Too bad for Kramer his supporters don't know him.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood.

A Kramer supporter presented here a letter outlining Kramer's accomplishments that he wanted all of us to sign and send on to the league or the HOF committee, whatever. That letter made no mention of the Power Sweep. He didn't bury the lead; he omitted it altogether. When I pointed out that gross oversight, he got nasty with me.

So the question is, did that supporter hold some Lombardi grudge?

Why would he not tightly associate Kramer with Lombardi's signature play, one of the signature innovations of the modern game, a play that was the backbone of 5 championships, and an innovation that Kramer was instrumental in executing? It's as though he was scrupulously avoiding the Kramer-Lombardi link.

What follows is a link to a highlight tape illustrating my point, and this clip does not include his signature play...it was the one where he ran in front of Taylor, I think it was, all the way down the field, knocking down one guy after another all the way the end zone. The Ice Bowl block was one thing, one moment, and had little to do with what Kramer was about as a player.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

More likely I'm over thinking it. The quality of the letter was so poor that the simple answer is that guy did not know what he was talking about. Too bad for Kramer his supporters don't know him.

Oh yes, I misunderstood. I frequently hear from Kramer supporters that the HOF refuses to add kramer bc they dont want anymore Lombardi era Packers. The robinson response usually leads to their confusion.

Its a fair point, he was a very important part of a key Lombardi play.

Ive been over the Kramer thing for awhile. Too many packers who havent had their cases heard deserve to, over Kramer having his heard for the 11th or 12th time, but the majority of Packer fans seem to only care about Kramer, which is unfortunate for others who have actually been overlooked

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
... :confused:

Would that be the most recent time league championship the Detroit kittys won?

Staff online

Latest posts