Aaron to Jordy, the best connection since???

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron and Jordy have a great QB WR connection, in fact I think they might be our 2nd or 3rd best QB WR connection in Packers history (not going off of stats only). What do you guys think?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's as good as Joe Montana to Jerry Rice.
Yeah, I know they aren't Packers but it's the only other one I know of! LOL

H

HardRightEdge

To this point, I don't think you can put Rodgers-to-Nelson over even Shaub-to-Andre Johsnon let alone Stafford-to-Megatron.

There are several seasons to go before this combo can be considered more than a footnote in league history.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To this point, I don't think you can put Rodgers-to-Nelson over even Shaub-to-Andre Johsnon let alone Stafford-to-Megatron.

There are several seasons to go before this combo can be considered more than a footnote in league history.

That's why I said packers history.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Aaron and Jordy have a great QB WR connection, in fact I think they might be our 2nd or 3rd best QB WR connection in Packers history (not going off of stats only). What do you guys think?

Brett to bill schroeder

lol

H

HardRightEdge

That's why I said packers history.
My reply was more in response to the Montana-to-Rice comparison.

As for your question, you did not make it clear as to whether you meant entire body of work or peak performance.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starr / McGee
Favre / Driver

added to your list.

I'm as big of a driver fan as anyone but he was never, even in his prime, as much of a multiple threat as nelson. jordy is special and sometimes I don't think us packer fans are quite believing just how good he is.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy is finally beginning to get the recognition he deserves as one of the league's best WR's.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron to Jordy is certainly the best connection since this one! LOL

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

sleeper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As a Texans fan, yeah, you can put Rodgers to Nelson over Schaub to AJ. AJ was red zone poison to Schaub. Not AJ's fault, Schaub just couldn't/wouldn't look for anyone other than the TE or slot in the red zone.

H

HardRightEdge

As a Texans fan, yeah, you can put Rodgers to Nelson over Schaub to AJ. AJ was red zone poison to Schaub. Not AJ's fault, Schaub just couldn't/wouldn't look for anyone other than the TE or slot in the red zone.
It was an extended period of high productivity despite Schaub's short comings and his catching CKD last season (that's Chuck Knoblauch Disease :confused:).

Rodgers-to-Nelson, in body-of-work terms, is still fairly short, being first particularly productive in 2011. 3 1/4 years is not much of a record to go on.

Obviously I could have picked an example other than Houston's, but I liked it for being provocative. I'm surprised you were the only one to object.

So...how about Unitas-to-Berry instead? ;)

H

HardRightEdge

you can do both if you so feel
Given that Jordy did not break out until 2011, the Rodgers-to-Nelson combo has a short resume of 3 1/4 years of starring performance. So, in body-of-work terms there are quite a few combos that I would rank higher:

Isbell/Hudson
Favre/Sharpe
****ey/Lofton
Favre/Driver
Favre/Freeman

The Lombardi years present difficulties giving the run orientation in that era. For example, Dowler made the Pro Bowl in 1965 with 44 catches / 610 yds. /4 TDs.

But I'd have to say, given the era, the players' longevity and the rings, Starr-to-McGee, Dowler and Dale must rank ahead at this point. While Dale was less instrumental in the championship years, he made 3 consecutive Pro Bowls afterward.

I'd put -Nelson slightly ahead of -Jennings because Jennings had his breakout year with Favre, but that comparison is very close.

-Nelson ranks slightly ahead of Favre-to-Brooks as well...that combo was too short lived.

In terms of peak performance, say over the best 16 consecutive games, which is about where Rodgers-to-Nelson is now, I put them them 4th. on the list, ahead of the Driver combo and behind the Lofton combo.

We expect the R-to-N combo to stay highly productive for several more years to come....there's alot of mileage left in those contracts. An eventual 4th. position in terms of body of work is a reasonable expectation if the guys stay healthy...perhaps higher if Nelson ages well and doesn't lose the key asset that defenses chronically underrate...his long speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

sleeper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was an extended period of high productivity despite Schaub's short comings and his catching CKD last season (that's Chuck Knoblauch Disease :confused:).

Rodgers-to-Nelson, in body-of-work terms, is still fairly short, being first particularly productive in 2011. 3 1/4 years is not much of a record to go on.

Obviously I could have picked an example other than Houston's, but I liked it for being provocative. I'm surprised you were the only one to object.

So...how about Unitas-to-Berry instead? ;)

Johnson and Schaub hooked up for 39 TD's between 2007 and 2013. Nelson and Rodgers 40, there abouts, in one year less time? Nelson scored a career high 15 compared to Johnson's 9.

I would object because I know what Andre Johnson is capable of. He has been poorly used in Houston and it continues even now. Zero touchdowns this year.

Schaub relied entirely on the bootleg and misdirection, throwing to his safety valve often. I have no hate for Schaub, he just doesn't belong in the same sentence with Aaron Rodgers.

H

HardRightEdge

Johnson and Schaub hooked up for 39 TD's between 2007 and 2013. Nelson and Rodgers 40, there abouts, in one year less time? Nelson scored a career high 15 compared to Johnson's 9.

I would object because I know what Andre Johnson is capable of. He has been poorly used in Houston and it continues even now. Zero touchdowns this year.

Schaub relied entirely on the bootleg and misdirection, throwing to his safety valve often. I have no hate for Schaub, he just doesn't belong in the same sentence with Aaron Rodgers.
First of all, you took Nelson's career total of 40 TDs and ascribed them all to Rodgers. Flynn threw 3 TDs to Nelson in the 2011 Detroit game and Rodgers missed 7 starts and nearly all of another game last season. I don't know how many Nelson TDs were in those missed games last year but they'd have to be subtracted from the amended 37 total.

I wouldn't get this granular or picky with you except you cited 39 TDs for Schaub-to-Johnson whereas Johnson's total over those 7 years was 44 TDs, so you evidently subtracted out 5 non-Schaub scores. So your TD comparison has a little apples-to-oranges flaw.

Anyhow, Schaub-to-Johnson played together for 7 years with Schaub starting about 80% of those games and Johnson a couple more than that. Over that time, Johnson caught 616 balls for 8,708 yds. I don't know the precise numbers for Shaub-to-Johnson, but it's the bulk of those totals. Johnson was a 5-time Pro Bowler and a 2-time All Pro over those 7 years.

As noted earlier, I don't know the precise breakdown on TDs for these combinations but I do see that Johnson scored 8, 8, 9 and 8 TDS in the first 4 Schaub years....8+ per year is not too shabby; after that they had problems getting in the end zone. Nelson's 40 were, by season: 2, 2, 2, 15 (minus 3 from Flynn), 7, 8 (minus non-Rodgers TDs) and 4 (so far this year). To date the 15 is an outlier---strike that, it's 12 because 3 came from Flynn--just as James Jones' league leading year of 14 was an outlier. To date, Nelson does not match Johnson's 4 consecutive years of consistent scoring. Nelson's led the team in TDs in only 2 seasons, one of which Rodgers missed half of. Cobb's 6 this year is reflection of him being the current preferred red zone target.

Despite the fact the Houston combo couldn't get it in the end zone with regularity after 2010, never put up a double-digit year like Rodgers-Nelson, and the Schaub/Rodgers comparison is so one-sided, when talking about the body of work, the Rodgers-Nelson combo is simply too short-lived. Nelson had only 6 starts prior to 2011 whereas the Schaub-to-Johnson pair was highly productive, to say the least, over double Nelson's time as a regular. Johnson put up Hall of Fame numbers over that period.

If you want to rank them on peak performance or where you might project the R-to-N body of work into the future then the comparison gets closer.

There tends to be a bias toward the newer, hotter thing and the current fantasy buzz when talking about these kinds of comparisons.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I missed one...Tobin Rote-to-Billy Howton. They had 5 highly productive seasons from 1952 - 1956.

Lost in the fog of history is the fact that Howton retired in 1963 as the all-time leader in receptions. He had his best years in this period including two 1,000 yd. seasons (at a time when it was a rare occurrence), 3 Pro Bowls and 1 All Pro selection.

Unfortunately, these seasons occurred in the first Packer dark age...the team record over those 5 years was 22-37-1 with no season over 0.500.

An interesting side note: Lombardi's first trade, about 2 months after he took the reins in 1959, was Howton to Cleveland for Lew Carpenter and Bill Quinlan. Howton made Pro Bowl his first year in Cleveland and had a couple other productive seasons after, though past his prime.

Not everything Lombardi touched turned to gold.