Aaron. S̶h̶u̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah but are the actual comments rodgers makes at his locker click bait? this new interview is just an elaboration of his locker comments.
what comment? the one where he said he needs to retrain his eyes and instincts and it's going to be a work in progress with everyone? or the one where he said he's not going to stand like a statue when things break down and get rocked? Both of which seem completely acceptable at this point. So i'm just going to assume there are other comments, so what were these?

H

HardRightEdge

The post isn't impulse at all. I've been saying for seasons (feel free to go check) that anyone can be traded if they no longer fit, including our star qb, if the price is right.
There is $34.5 mil in prorated signing bonus for 2020 - 2022 that is not counted agains 2019 cap spending. Were Rodgers to be traded now, that full $34.5 mil gets docked against the 2019 cap, with the only offset being the $1.1 mil in salary going to the other team.

In short, if you traded Rodgers you'd immediately be about $25 mil over the 2019 cap. Who would you cut to clear that space?

For 2019 at the very least, Rodgers is simply untradable.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My telling Rodgers to shut up was "stop talking to the press, go do your job". But boy, it sure got youall up in arms over there mondio.

Cute how you keep throwing innocuous insults my way however.

Either way, I could care less that pft linked the story, it's Mike Silvers article (here if interested).

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The post isn't impulse at all. I've been saying for seasons (feel free to go check) that anyone can be traded if they no longer fit, including our star qb, if the price is right.

Its a conversation that Aaron is smart enough to know should happen behind closed doors, not through the media.

That goes to intent, and again... Given his history... It speaks a lot toward if he's buying into the changes and making changes himself.

This doesn't sound like a qb adapting to his new environment. It sounds like one who wants to keep doing what he has done "for 11 years".

I hope he does adapt. His history doesn't make me think he will. If that's the case, as with Favre, we have to rip that band-aid off, if the team is truly intent on moving forward, with or without him.
So he speaks his mind on a few matters. Tell me was he wrong in anything he said? Goodness! It's like we ask for our players to be honest, but when they do, we bash and criticize them for speaking out. I'll use last year since it was such a damning case in regards to Arodg.

Last year Rodgers was ASKED, about the receivers, in which he said no one really stood out and they needed to improve in order to make the roster, which was true, and yet Rodgers was the bad guy for saying that, when it was obvious.

Rodgers said they needed to play better on offense after a WIN against Buffalo, in which he included himself, and people raise a fuss over it! What's even more is the fact that we've been complaining about how conservative McCarthy's play calling have been for years!

Again nothing in this article I've read shows that he isn't buying this new system. I mean simply because someone suggests what they'd like to do, doesn't mean they aren't bought it. That is why I said this was made on impulse. Let alone the title of this thread, everything you said thus far seems to be from an emotional standpoint. Which is why others and myself said for you to calm down and just wait for the season to play out, as it was too early to jump to that conclusion that he wasn't on board.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My telling Rodgers to shut up was "stop talking to the press, go do your job". But boy, it sure got youall up in arms over there mondio.
Part of his "job" is to talk to the press! Hello!

H

HardRightEdge

what comment? the one where he said he needs to retrain his eyes and instincts and it's going to be a work in progress with everyone? or the one where he said he's not going to stand like a statue when things break down and get rocked? Both of which seem completely acceptable at this point. So i'm just going to assume there are other comments, so what were these?
Right. And expect him to pass up an open under route when he sees a downfield opportunity.

And why should we assume that a rookie head coach has a magic bullet system suitable for every instance at the line of scrimmage? And why would you want to make Aaron Rodgers into the inexperienced robo-QB during LaFleur's time in LA? And it's not like Mariota wasn't ditching the pocket and ad libbing last season. Why assume no adaptability on LaFluer's part to having a premier QB?

Clearly there needs to be a meeting of the minds no doubt in progress. As others have noted, it is only June.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just read the Silver article and someone is going to have to point out the "bad" parts. I didn't see anything that read to me like anyone was trying to make any statements in the media. Just 2 very smart guys who know the position they are in and they have to come together to make it work. that's reality.

There are going to be growing pains, ups and downs, moments of greatness and WTF'ness. They shouldn't all be jumped upon by people to "prove" anything as it is likely nothing more than completely normal things that happen in these situations. Rodgers SHOULD be able to go off script at times. LaFleur SHOULD be able to call a pretty good offensive game plan. they're going to have learn each other and find a balance and it's going to take time.

It isn't going to be set in June, or even in September. It's going to take 2 seasons before the entire offense is even installed, even with Rodgers as your QB. I remember an article from years ago about it taking 2-3 full seasons with mostly the same guys to fully install an offensive or defensive scheme to the point coaches felt everything in their book was an option. The game hasn't gotten any more simple in that time.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR's comments within the full context of the interview isn't bad at all, and is actually quite reasonable.

Just another reason why people should wait until they have all the information before they comment.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR's comments within the full context of the interview isn't bad at all, and is actually quite reasonable.

Just another reason why people should wait until they have all the information before they comment.
Thank you! It's like people didn't bother to read the entire thing and just picked a snippet to go on. That's the kind of ******** you'd expect Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd to do.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you! It's like people didn't bother to read the entire thing and just picked a snippet to go on. That's the kind of ******** you'd expect Skip Bayless or Colin Cowherd to do.
and Florio

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I blame our lack of offensive production on McCarthy; I will wait and hope things are going to be good. I certainly won't put any stock in whoever has anything to write about it now. Good or bad.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not wrong. There is a huge difference between him and Marcus Mariota, jared Goff, Matt Ryan, RGIII and the other QB s that he's worked with. I'm hoping this can be worked out behind closed doors, where it should have been in the first place. But I also hope that Rodgers humors him and gives his way a shot

Edit: clearly terrible reporting after reading the entire interview. A story made out of nothing

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Edit: clearly terrible reporting after reading the entire interview. A story made out of nothing

I came away with the same impression after reading the Silver article. I did not read PFT because this is pretty normal for Florio when it comes to the packers and rodgers.

This type of reporting should earn them an automatic dismiss, don't click, don't read, don't even mention that it may exist from readers for anything in the future as it can't be trusted. it's garbage journalism and it's become the norm these days.

Force your journalists to bring you better stories by not reading the junk they put out. They'll be forced to change or go hungry. but as long people keep clicking crap, they'll keep writing it.

Loose interpretations, half truths, a single quote without context, all so they can create a story and create drama to create readers. it's junk and everyone should demand better.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
and Florio

I was just going to add that myself...and then...there you are.

Florio will ALWAYS find some way to twist Aaron Rodgers stories to the negative - because he knows his band of Viking fans -- 3 guys with 10 sign in names each - will push his click totals up.

It has been pretty quiet there lately and you can tell when something has to be made controversial to get the clicks up. Nothing there does that faster than an Aaron Rodgers is a bad guy story .. or anthing negative about the Patriots.

I believe Florio's take is nothing more than him, as usual, playing his readership like a harp from hell.

H

HardRightEdge

Right. So make a mental note. When Florio makes claims unsubstantiated by the the actual quotes he provides, in the deadest of all off season dead zones between OTAs and camp, consider the possibility of click bait.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Rodgers? You must be joking. Who the hell is going to play QB for the Packers after the trade. Good QB's are hard to find forget about great QB's.

Reactions: Do7
OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the original poster, the context of the full article is far less damning than even the soundbite of silvers original tweet on Friday made it out, which is what I was trying to use the pft link to show ( not everyone has Twitter to see it)

I was wrong in this Instance.

It doesn't change historically known issues with AR and his passive aggressive stance to change. This "clickbait" wasn't an out of character assumption for Aaron, so my bad for not waiting for the full article.

The context of my original statement stands that no player is bigger than the team, and we shouldn't be rooting for players to undermine the coaching staff trying to move the team forward, as some were doing earlier.

Anyways, try to remember that we are all fans. It's kind of disturbing the way the claws come out in this forum in recent seasons.

H

HardRightEdge

This whole tempest in a teapot does raise an interesting question.

Why would you want to bar a QB from calling audibles? Inexperience? Sure. The guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer? Perhaps. Those factors do not apply hered.

It should be noted that unless you're in no huddle the defense can be rotating personnel based on who is in the offensive huddle as the play is being called or even after. Ordinarily that might not be noticed, but it happens a lot and it stands out when Rodgers breaks the huddle, sees the rotation, and makes his quick snap call for the penalty.

Why wouldn't you allow a mentally proficient QB to call audibles when the defensive personnel may not be what the play caller assumed it was when he made the call?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the original poster, the context of the full article is far less damning than even the soundbite of silvers original tweet on Friday made it out, which is what I was trying to use the pft link to show ( not everyone has Twitter to see it)

I was wrong in this Instance.

It doesn't change historically known issues with AR and his passive aggressive stance to change. This "clickbait" wasn't an out of character assumption for Aaron, so my bad for not waiting for the full article.

The context of my original statement stands that no player is bigger than the team, and we shouldn't be rooting for players to undermine the coaching staff trying to move the team forward, as some were doing earlier.

Anyways, try to remember that we are all fans. It's kind of disturbing the way the claws come out in this forum in recent seasons.
We are aware that you are a fan just like everyone else, but just as you acknowledged you jumped the gun on this, in which me and several others told you to wait and see. In your situation I suppose I can understand why it feels like the "claws come out" but you sorta brought that on yourself.

As for Rodgers is concerned, the dude is out there leading the team down the field. He knows how much rides on his shoulder. So when he's asked for his opinion he gives an honest assessment. I just find it strange we ask our athletes to be more vocal, and then when he does such, and fill his obligation in regards to the media, people here flip their ****, and act like he's bigger than the team, when that isn't the case.

So Rodgers says he would like to implement some things at the LOS, chances are it'll help us win. I sincerely doubt Rodgers would try something that would jeopardize the team's chances of winning.

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Rodgers? You must be joking. Who the hell is going to play QB for the Packers after the trade. Good QB's are hard to find forget about great QB's.

Never said he needs traded, but an organization cannot let players run over the coaching staff, other players, or organization, talented or not.

My take is he needs to buy in, just like any other player, or we need to get value and bring in players who do buy in.

It happened to Favre, it happened to Manning (differently, but nonetheless) and it's happened to many other HOF talent players.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never said he needs traded, but an organization cannot let players run over the coaching staff, other players, or organization, talented or not.

My take is he needs to buy in, just like any other player, or we need to get value and bring in players who do buy in.

It happened to Favre, it happened to Manning (differently, but nonetheless) and it's happened to many other HOF talent players.
Buy in to an unproven coach? I agree that Rodgers should have an open mind, but Rodgers has established himself, while Lefleur is trying to. Simply because he's saying what he would like to see, doesn't mean he hasn't bought in. That's making assumptions.

And to say Rodgers should blindly buy in with no questions asked, or make any suggestions is to help improve the offense is silly.

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole tempest in a teapot does raise an interesting question.

Why would you want to bar a QB from calling audibles? Inexperience? Sure. The guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer? Perhaps. Those factors do not apply hered.

It should be noted that unless you're in no huddle the defense can be rotating personnel based on who is in the offensive huddle as the play is being called or even after. Ordinarily that might not be noticed, but it happens a lot and it stands out when Rodgers breaks the huddle, sees the rotation, and makes his quick snap call for the penalty.

Why wouldn't you allow a mentally proficient QB to call audibles when the defensive personnel may not be what the play caller assumed it was when he made the call?

I have several, which some may agree/ disagree on but here goes:

- this is a whole new offense. Everyone is learning new plays, terminology, tempo, etc. If Aaron comes out like the last 3 years, changing up to 30% of the sideline calls, the offense will never learn the new system well enough to execute it at an NFL caliber level, esp with a cadre of young/ not familiar wrs, rbs.

- others have mentioned the art of baiting the D early to setup plays later. That nuance isn't effective if we change the look on the setup plays.

For what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts