Aaron Jones Should Take Over At RB Now

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Williams is thinking too much about ball security and not just letting himself run. But at this point, It's gotta be Jones and Monty if he gets healthy. If not, it's gotta be Jones and someone else. I hope he's in shape, because nobody else is running like him right now. When Monty is healthy he runs well too, but by game 2 he seemed done this year already. The burst was gone, he looked much slower than last year. He's Hopefully a split running load will keep them both effective and healthy. That would be good for everyone.

Williams just isn't good, imo. He's probably our best pass blocker, and he's "reliable/safe" which means that he won't make a mistake but he won't do anything great either. I get why they took him, but I never liked it. Of course I talked myself into it, but I never liked it. Jones on the other hand, his vision + quick twitch + ability to get to 0-60 in no time makes him a dangerous back. He's really good...really good. I'm all in.

I also think Ty is a good back, but you are right that something isn't right with him. First game or two, he was hitting holes hard, but by his last game played, he was tentative as all get out. I didn't mind when he was being patient waiting for the holes and then bursting hard, but you can't wait, wait, wait and then dance around. Not sure if it was a mental thing for him, or an injury. He was playing well against Chicago though.

This is probably the best RB duo we've had in quite some time. Monty and Jones will take some good pressure off of Rodgers. And don't forget that Monty allows us to really scheme around a defense. My BIL brought this up to me, that Monty's ability to move around and go to different positions allows Rodgers to get a better idea of what the defense is doing pre-snap. That's valuable.

D

Deleted member 6794

It was reported that Williams had a knee sprain and they took an MRI 10 days earlier looking for ligament damage. That doesn't sound "Fully" healthy to me

Williams fully participated in every practice last week and wasn't listed on the injury report heading into the Cowboys game though.

I liked Mays in the preseason, but it's hard to ignore what Jones has done so far.

I didn't watch all of the preseason games to make a fair evaluation of Mays' performance but his numbers definitely weren't impressive as he only averaged 2.7 yards per carry.

It may have been one game, but he looked as good as any running back we've had since Ryan Grant. He's earned the right to start the rest of the year as far as I'm concerned. Monty doesn't belong in the backfield; move him back to receiver. And Williams could be a very nice compliment.

While Jones has earned the right to start at Minnesota with his performance against the Cowboys he has to prove that he can run effectively against an above average rushing defense as well before appointing him the primary back for the rest of the season. Williams has mostly been a disappointment so far this season.

The Packers have plenty of receiving options, there's no need to move Montgomery back to the position.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Williams is the power back (for short yardage). Problem is...we don't get much of a push up the middle and I am not comfortable just diving up the middle w/o an outside threat. Should be good for play action though.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty is still playing like a receiver back there so I'd say the difference is more blatant than subtle.

Personally you can beat it anyway with 2 back sets, but I think Ty is more suited as a passing option than a run up the middle or find the hole guy. Aaron Jones runs lower and has better finishes to his runs. He's our best RB and it's going to continue to show.

I prefer Ty as a slash option used moving between the slot and the backfield as part of a hurry up offense running with 2 TE sets.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, too much emphasis is being placed on who is going to be starting at RB. I just want the coaches to use all of the variety of offensive weapons to create mismatches and advantages. No complaints whatsoever from this corner so far. I like the array of weaponry we currently have on this roster. Lots of interesting options.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may have been one game, but he looked as good as any running back we've had since Ryan Grant. He's earned the right to start the rest of the year as far as I'm concerned. Monty doesn't belong in the backfield; move him back to receiver. And Williams could be a very nice compliment.

I'd compare him more to Ahman Green with his running style. Maybe a bit smaller and not as punishing, but similar style though.

And to whoever that clown was who said bumping his carrries up to exceed Montgomery's would be like a demotion to Ty, that's the nature of football, dude, if a better man comes along and does better, he takes over your job. I didn't hear Dorsey Levens go all bananas when Green took over his job.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd compare him more to Ahman Green with his running style. Maybe a bit smaller and not as punishing, but similar style though.

And to whoever that clown was who said bumping his carrries up to exceed Montgomery's would be like a demotion to Ty, that's the nature of football, dude, if a better man comes along and does better, he takes over your job. I didn't hear Dorsey Levens go all bananas when Green took over his job.

I'd love to see you try to call me a clown to my face, tough guy...

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Williams is the power back (for short yardage). Problem is...we don't get much of a push up the middle and I am not comfortable just diving up the middle w/o an outside threat. Should be good for play action though.

Another problem is that Williams doesn't seem to have decent vision to find a hole or the ability to create yards on his own. Currently there's no reason to give him any carries as long as Jones and Montgomery are able to play.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monty isn't healthy yet. Got to give the rookies the ball for another week at least, imo. Maybe two and the bye. Make sure he is solid.

I like that he is Willing to play. His injury bug will pass. He has too much potential to not put the ball in his hands...

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monty isn't healthy yet. Got to give the rookies the ball for another week at least, imo. Maybe two and the bye. Make sure he is solid.

I like that he is Willing to play. His injury bug will pass. He has too much potential to not put the ball in his hands...
I agree, There is no reason to rush Montgomery back.
I would rather that Monty returns completely healthy for the stretch run.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact is AJ doesn't have the physique to be the primary RB and Monty can't seem to stay healthy for it. We should just do away with the "primary" RB concept and use them in tandem. Individually both are not fit for a full season, but as a pair, they are formidable.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We can let Rip do that. We are lucky that both TyM and AJ have good hands and can be used as catchers as well. Kinda gives us lots of flexibility and keeps defences guessing.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another problem is that Williams doesn't seem to have decent vision to find a hole or the ability to create yards on his own. Currently there's no reason to give him any carries as long as Jones and Montgomery are able to play.
I've been shocked by his vision and how bad it appears to be. Maybe he is overthinking things but man he just seems to run into the first rear-end he can find.

As to Jones, it's really hard not to get over-hyped about him, but I'm trying my best not to. I agree he hasn't ran up against the stoutest run D's yet but he sure has shined in his limited opportunities. He runs decisively and just seems to have some juice to him. The kind of juice you either have or not. It will be interesting to see how the carries are distributed moving forward but it's been a while since I've been this excited about a Packer RB. This is the type of "problem" you don't mind having.

G P G!

D

Deleted member 6794

The fact is AJ doesn't have the physique to be the primary RB and Monty can't seem to stay healthy for it. We should just do away with the "primary" RB concept and use them in tandem. Individually both are not fit for a full season, but as a pair, they are formidable.

While Jones doesn't have ideal height for being a primary running back in the league he seems to be big enough to withstand the physical toll it takes to make it through a season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before we all christen Jones the new starting RB after one game, it's worth noting that the oline did markedly better against Dallas than against any other team. Against Dallas, the oline blocked well enough that the RB, on average, went 3.5 yards before contact. In the prior games, the oline was only averaging 1.5 yards before contact. The Dallas run defense is a mess. The Vikings should be a much better measuring stick for both the RBs and the oline.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that gives me confidence the kid will be able to keep producing is his skill set. He has a jumpcut that you either have or don't. He is shifty and runs with surprising power. He had one run last game that was just a thing of beauty. The call had him running strong side but as soon as he got the rock he cut the opposite way. He split 2 defenders and ripped off a nice gainer. It was the type of run where Williams would've ran into RIP's backside and lost 2 on the play. His vision appears to be really good. Another thing he has going for him is the support of 12. AR doesn't gush over guys for the heck of it and he sang 33's praises in the spring which tells me something. Yes, Jones didn't play at an Alabama or Oklahoma but to end up the all-time rusher at UTEP is nothing to sneeze at. He ended his career with over 4,100 rushing yards averaging 6.25 per and that included him missing 10 games his JR season. You can either run or you can't and this kid can run.

Now the next argument is about his size and ability to be a true workhorse. I get that he's not built like a S-Brickhouse but he's also not some little scatback in the mold of a Dexter McCluster. He is 5'9" and 208 lbs. He has a thick neck and doesn't have anything on him that looks string-beanish. That is a full grown man right there and there have been plenty of studs his size perform at a high level from both a performance and volume standpoint. Here are a few similar in size:
Brian Westbrook 5'8" 200 lbs
Ray Rice 5'9" 195 lbs
Warrick Dunn 5'9" 180
Barry Sanders 5'8" 203 lbs
Tiki Barber 5'10" 205 lbs
Marshall Faulk 5'10" 211 lbs
I am not putting him in any of these guys league rather showing guys his size have been workhorses. I think in a perfect world McCarthy finds a nice balance between he and 88 which should allow them both to stay fresh. Like I said earlier though, I am very excited about this kids future and I think there is good reason for it! If he comes out against the Queens and puts up something like 18/90/1 then look out folks, we may have out next big time back. I think we all can agree that it would be great if he wound up being just that! G P G

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jones rushes for more than 125 yds against the Vikings(I say 125 because with no Bradford, Cook, Diggs they should punt a bunch) the job is his. At that point it's Monty and Williams auditioning for #2. If Mays or Williams shows any promise, I do right by Monty and trade him for hopefully a 3rd or 4th Rounder so he doesn't spend his best years on the bench.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that gives me confidence the kid will be able to keep producing is his skill set. He has a jumpcut that you either have or don't. He is shifty and runs with surprising power. He had one run last game that was just a thing of beauty. The call had him running strong side but as soon as he got the rock he cut the opposite way. He split 2 defenders and ripped off a nice gainer. It was the type of run where Williams would've ran into RIP's backside and lost 2 on the play. His vision appears to be really good. Another thing he has going for him is the support of 12. AR doesn't gush over guys for the heck of it and he sang 33's praises in the spring which tells me something. Yes, Jones didn't play at an Alabama or Oklahoma but to end up the all-time rusher at UTEP is nothing to sneeze at. He ended his career with over 4,100 rushing yards averaging 6.25 per and that included him missing 10 games his JR season. You can either run or you can't and this kid can run.

Now the next argument is about his size and ability to be a true workhorse. I get that he's not built like a S-Brickhouse but he's also not some little scatback in the mold of a Dexter McCluster. He is 5'9" and 208 lbs. He has a thick neck and doesn't have anything on him that looks string-beanish. That is a full grown man right there and there have been plenty of studs his size perform at a high level from both a performance and volume standpoint. Here are a few similar in size:
Brian Westbrook 5'8" 200 lbs
Ray Rice 5'9" 195 lbs
Warrick Dunn 5'9" 180
Barry Sanders 5'8" 203 lbs
Tiki Barber 5'10" 205 lbs
Marshall Faulk 5'10" 211 lbs
I am not putting him in any of these guys league rather showing guys his size have been workhorses. I think in a perfect world McCarthy finds a nice balance between he and 88 which should allow them both to stay fresh. Like I said earlier though, I am very excited about this kids future and I think there is good reason for it! If he comes out against the Queens and puts up something like 18/90/1 then look out folks, we may have out next big time back. I think we all can agree that it would be great if he wound up being just that! G P G
Walter Payton ... 5'10" 200lbs.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Jones rushes for more than 125 yds against the Vikings(I say 125 because with no Bradford, Cook, Diggs they should punt a bunch) the job is his. At that point it's Monty and Williams auditioning for #2. If Mays or Williams shows any promise, I do right by Monty and trade him for hopefully a 3rd or 4th Rounder so he doesn't spend his best years on the bench.

The Packers can't afford to trade Montgomery by any means as Williams has struggled mightily to run the ball and Mays hasn't been able to get on the field.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM must fix this running game if we're going to win with Hundley. Ty Montgomery was brutal out there today. Personally I keep wondering where the Chiefs always get their RBs from. Also, wonder if there's a chance we could demote Montgomery, and airlift Jamaal Charles or Ryan Matthews in here to split carries with Aaron Jones. I know they've had some injury issues, but ... Well who doesn't these days?

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM must fix this running game if we're going to win with Hundley. Ty Montgomery was brutal out there today. Personally I keep wondering where the Chiefs always get their RBs from. Also, wonder if there's a chance we could demote Montgomery, and airlift Jamaal Charles or Ryan Matthews in here to split carries with Aaron Jones. I know they've had some injury issues, but ... Well who doesn't these days?

Nobody else has 2/5 of the o line and 6th option at LT.

No running would have had a chance back there with how MN was winning up front.

Members online

Latest posts