A look at favorite Packers...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ray Nitschke was, and always will be #1 on my list. I LOVED watching him play when i was a kid, and got to meet him in the late 1980's. I got to sit with him, and talk over the "old days". He asked me, "Hey AL, have you ever tried on a SUPER BOWL ring?" I said NO SIR! And he handed me his Super Bowl ONE ring! (It fit on TWO of my fingers!) We talked, and i got a picture, and some football cards autographed by him.
I also have met Bart Starr (another CLASS ACT!)
Jerry Kramer and Fuzzy Thurston also treated me VERY nice.
It seems like alot of the old players (not all, but alot) take more time with the fans then todays players do. They seem to have more appreciation for the fans.
Now, last year at Fan Fest I got to try on a Super Bowl 31 ring.......so i only need to try on one from SB 2 to complete the set!
As far as current players, of course Favre has to be there, as well as Edgar Bennett. He was one that ALWAYS took time for the fans. Donald Driver is that way too.
Leroy Butler almost ran me over once, so i wasn't too thrilled with the way he ignored me (and almost KILLED me!)

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of all the stars on the 60's teams, I liked Elijah Pitts the best for some reason. He intrigued me because he was from the south and went to a very small college ( Philander Smith in Arkansas ), a true team player and underdog. He did everything pretty well, run, catch passes, and played special teams. I remember him scooping up a fumble and running it in for a TD against the Cowboys in the NFL championship game in 66 that put the Packers up 14-0 early. I was reminded of it when the Pack went up 14-0 against the Niners in the 95 playoffs.
Pitts came to our club's snowmobile races when I was 8 and I got his autograph. I didn't know what to say to him I was in such awe.
I'll always love Ray, Reggie, Adderley, Dave Robinson, Willie Wood, Lofton, Favre, Gilbert, Hornung, Max McGee and Paul Ott Carruth ( just kidding ) for no reason other than they were unique players and Packers.
A friend of mine here is from the same hometown as Carroll Dale and knew him as a kid.
Hammer

Brooks87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert brooks, Brett Favre,Santana Dotson, Reggie white, Desmond howard,Antonio Freeman, Leroy Butler and Dorsey levans. =)

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember watching Don Hutson.........nah, I'm kidding....I'm not that old, but I do love reading about him. Truly the most dominant WR of all times!!

PackerCoz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Despite the sour way he ended his Packer career I have to admit watching this guy play was like watching a great piece of art evolve
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
This is my favorite of all... I mean, who can forget the game on Monday Night Football, where the Packers played the game in the snowfall, I think it was in Denver at Mile High Stadium, where Lofton caught a pass on a slant play, and raced through the snow for the game winning score... Perhaps the greatest receiver outside of Jerry Rice (& Sterling Sharpe)...

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another of my old favorites was The Roadrunner. Travis Williams had a great year in 1967. 4 KO TDs, 2 in one quarter against the Browns. Plus he compiled the NFL all-time single season KO average of something like 41.7 yards. The record still stands I believe. He came out of nowhere, and had a great game against the Lambs in the playoffs that year.
Hammer

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favorite packers?

Mark Chumura
Leroy Butler
Lynn ****ey
Brett of course
Ahman Green
the Gravedigger, Gilbert Brown who I got to meet in my hometown last year
Sharper until he became a turncoat
Larry the Rock McCarren
Reggie, cannot forget him
Gerry Ellis
Eddie Lee Ivery
Brian Noble
Vince Lombardi
Paul Hornung

Anyone else to think of?

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack. I have a special place in my heart for Longwell. He took time out to pose with our granddaughter when she was about 6 years old. He was then supposed to go on a cruise with us, but Sara got pregnant, and they were unable to go. I gave the picture of him and our granddaughter to the person who planned the cruise, and he signed it, "To Danielle, from Ryan Longwell." The following year he was able to go on the cruise, and I thanked him for doing that. He is a very personable guy. And, of course, being a grandma, if someone is nice to my grandchildren, they rate high in my book. He even put his arm around her when they had their picture taken.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great story carol, I never get tired of hearing stories of players/coaches taking the extra step to interact with "real people". Thanks for sharing and have a nice cruise!!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hammer.....Pitts was a GREAT player! I liked him too!
I FINALLY got Longwell's autograph on a picture i took of him at Favre's softball game last year. I had been trying to get him to sign for YEARS! I called to him after he had an at bat, and he came over to the net nad signed it for me. But at practice, i could never get him to do it.

Oh......and Gakk.........i blew right past you, didn't i!!! :wink: :lol:

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Noisey Packer Fan said:
GakkofNorway said:
KGB? KGB? KGB? What the?
ya know Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila There I spelled it! and yes he is one of my favorites 8)

Nothing wrong with liking KGB!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with liking a guy. I dont think hes the best player, or even a 'good' player, but that shouldnt stop you from liking him. I like guys who arent really good. Maybe its their effort, their heart I like. I feel ya.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I remember watching Don Hutson.........nah, I'm kidding....I'm not that old, but I do love reading about him. Truly the most dominant WR of all times!!

What is not to love about by far the greatest WR of his time. He was the Jerry Rice of his era

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerCoz said:
Despite the sour way he ended his Packer career I have to admit watching this guy play was like watching a great piece of art evolve
This is my favorite of all... I mean, who can forget the game on Monday Night Football, where the Packers played the game in the snowfall, I think it was in Denver at Mile High Stadium, where Lofton caught a pass on a slant play, and raced through the snow for the game winning score... Perhaps the greatest receiver outside of Jerry Rice (& Sterling Sharpe)...

Yeah, and besides that someone should show this to Chad Lewis and tell him he was not the first black man to do a "river dance" TD celebatory dance in the endzone.

:wink:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hutson was WAY before my time. I only put players that i have seen and know. It's hard to know what to say about someone, if you never saw them play, or met them. I know he was a GREAT player. I wish i could have seen him play.