A.J. Hawk released.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm saying this, but a 1 year deal near the vet mininum wouldn't be a terrible thing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
"wait.....what....they want me back in Green Bay?"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, remember that two years ago it was better to have Clay Matthews at ILB than Hawk.

Thanks for your service AJ. You were great when you were here. Ride off into the sunset like Jared Allen.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, remember that two years ago it was better to have Clay Matthews at ILB than Hawk.

Thanks for your service AJ. You were great when you were here. Ride off into the sunset like Jared Allen.

It's still better to have Clay Matthews at ILB than most LBs in the NFL. It's just better to have him at OLB.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't argue that. There's also no arguing that we were better with Hawk on the bench and Matthews at ILB than Matthews at OLB and Hawk at ILB.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure. And I'm certainly not advocating Hawk as a stopgap starter for 2016. But our ILB situation is among the worst in the NFL. Our starters are marginal and our depth is nonexistant.

Depending how the draft unfolds in a few days, we may be desperate for veteran ILB depth by this time next week. I think if he had never played a down for us, and we signed him for cheap, the general consensus based on his resume would be 'Great signing Ted. Longtime starter at ILB, defensive leader, played in a 3-4 most of his career, made a Pro Bowl, got him cheap.'

I say this as no fan of Hawk. I just don't see the harm as a veteran leader and camp body if he garners no interest elsewhere. It's not like he left on bad terms.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure. And I'm certainly not advocating Hawk as a stopgap starter for 2016. But our ILB situation is among the worst in the NFL. Our starters are marginal and our depth is nonexistant.

Depending how the draft unfolds in a few days, we may be desperate for veteran ILB depth by this time next week. I think if he had never played a down for us, and we signed him for cheap, the general consensus based on his resume would be 'Great signing Ted. Longtime starter at ILB, defensive leader, played in a 3-4 most of his career, made a Pro Bowl, got him cheap.'

I say this as no fan of Hawk. I just don't see the harm as a veteran leader and camp body if he garners no interest elsewhere. It's not like he left on bad terms.
I hear what you're saying, but if he was so bad in his last stint in GB that we had to move our best defensive player to a new position....that's not going to help us now.

In your analogy, we would all be assuming that this veteran ILB would play better than Hawk did in 2014. Hawk is a known commodity to us, and unless he got faster and can now chase down the gimpy 2014 version of Kyle Rudolph (Vikings), then he's no good signing now.

You can review all my post history. I've always been an avid supporter of AJ Hawk for his dependability, leadership, and general play. I just realize that even at this point, his liabilities trump his good qualities. I'd rather have a rookie or another TT veteran special.

The only thing that would help AJ is a can of Liquid Schwartz.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish him well, but his best days as a player are behind him. he doesn't play special teams, was never very good in coverage, and even at league minimum would cost you more than a rookie would. He's not a good fit for the Pack.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gruden said he is one of the Pack's all time greats.

Depends on your definition I guess. I wouldn't list him as an All Time Great in the general sense but maybe All Time LBs...if we'd only drafted him late 1st or 2nd round the hatred for him would be greatly subdued (or should be). Honestly the only knack I personally have on him is drafted that high you should grow into that Franchise guy you can't do without (ie Clay).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was 'technically' on the roster, but a healthy scratch for all 16 games. He was only on the roster because he was such a high draft pick. Bradford's time with the Packers is limited.

I wouldn't say a 4th rounder is a high draft pick. This is Bradford's last year with the Pack unless something out of left field happens with his improvement.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bradford I believe was on the practice squad last year not the active roster. In 2014 he was on the active roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe he was cut end of 15' then resigned to practice with a reserve/future contract in early 2016.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correction. He was a practice squad guy after missing the final 2015 roster cuts. He was though resigned with a reserve/future contract this year early.