A different spin on the Slow FA activity with Pack

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
One thing that I think we may be missing here a little with regards to the Packers inactivity this year is Cash in reserves to dool out these signing bonuses that Players are getting.

We don't have a deep pocket owner to make the up front cash available, so maybe, just maybe we have a set amount of money allotted for Signing bonuses this year. Chew up the upfront money that Jenkins got, and Barnett and Williams may get yet. Then the Rookie bonuses and the field being redone. Maybe, just maybe there is other factors than TT being cheap.

Just a thought for the day...

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, that's not the case. Here is what is going to happen. Favre signed on for another year with the intention of bringing in Randy Moss. Like it or not, that's the way it is. They are apparently going to front load the contract so the majority of the reworked contract is paid this year and not so much the next three or four years. If Moss signs and behaves himself Favre signs for at least one more year. A significant amount of the remainder of the money goes to sign Barnett. I got that information from an unnamed insider. Don't come back to me with, "who is this insider?" because I'm not going to give out that information.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
That is what I am saying in a round about way, if Moss is to be aquired, he is going to take another chunk out of the Cash on Hand:)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is what I am saying in a round about way, if Moss is to be aquired, he is going to take another chunk out of the Cash on Hand:)
Yup! And if you don't HAVE it anymore, cause you frittered it away, you can't do this!
I think you guys hit the nail right on the head!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been saying that for a few weeks now....
Moss, Barrnet, rookies, and maybe Williams..that is the cap budget this year

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay I'll bite on this one just to be the devils advocate, (although let me say that I am so in favor if this scenario). What happens if the Moss deal falls through?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay I'll bite on this one just to be the devils advocate, (although let me say that I am so in favor if this scenario). What happens if the Moss deal falls through?
Then you STILL have money in the bank to go after someone else.
It's not like you lose that if we don't sign Moss.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
PackerGeek said:

but there really isnt a real option for WR if Moss deals goes thru..That is why I think the deal is done and set, just have to be announced..

I think if there was even a HINT of it not going thrru, they would have someone in here and signed already just in case

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
PackerGeek said:

but there really isnt a real option for WR if Moss deals goes thru..That is why I think the deal is done and set, just have to be announced..

I think if there was even a HINT of it not going thrru, they would have someone in here and signed already just in case
It's true.......there doesn't SEEM to be a "Plan B" for a WR if it doesn't happen. But it wouldn't mean the end of the world if it didn't happen. There still is time between now and the start of next season.
The Packers still have some decent WR's on their roster, even if Moss isn't here.

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
PackerGeek said:

if the deal is done whats the advantage of not announcing it?

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
PackerGeek said:

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
There are so many unknown yet to this offseason, after the draft another round of players will be cut. What if the draft breaks in some unknown way or a team makes a surprise pick or two. Alot of offseason left to go, so yes the Moss deal seems to make alot of sense, but the season isn't over if it falls through.

Also June 1st cuts, although it will be a down year for that due to the inflated cap.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
longtimefan said:
cheesey said:
PackerGeek said:

What if the Raiders are trying to get someone to move up a slot or two to grab Russell? Say the Brown's, plifer another pick or two from them. Or maybe Millen will be silly enough to want to move up. Trading Moss telegraphs the Raiders pick in my opinion.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
cheesey said:
PackerGeek said:

The draft..

I think that they have agreed on something no matter what, but are going to see what the Packers get in the draft...

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerGeek said:
longtimefan said:
cheesey said:
PackerGeek said:

What if the Raiders are trying to get someone to move up a slot or two to grab Russell? Say the Brown's, plifer another pick or two from them. Or maybe Millen will be silly enough to want to move up. Trading Moss telegraphs the Raiders pick in my opinion.

Good point I never thought of that.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I honestly don't think that concealing who you are picking with #1 overall is all that important. It's not like anyone will trade up to take that player before you can.... :chalflag:

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
cheesey said:
PackerGeek said:

The main advantage at this point, assuming this Moss rumor is correct, is that any dealings with Moss right now would be tampering as he is under contract with Oakland. They can negotiate with any player with permission from the team, but I haven't seen anything yet that suggests this permission was requested by GB or granted by Oakland. So if there has been any dealings between Moss & GB, they would have to be conducted in secret (happens all the time) and could not be admitted to in any way.

Still assuming this rumor is correct, a much more likely scenario IMO is that TT is simply waiting for Moss to be released so he can negotiate at will and it doesn't cost him anything in return.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall several years ago that the Packers reached their goal of $100mil in the bank. Now, even in the NFL that's not chicken feed. Since they had $2-3Mil to pay for yet another turf change, I doubt if they're feeling pennyless. The GB Packers are a money-making enterprise...never doubt that.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
cheesey said:
PackerGeek said:

I would say........until the deal is SIGNED they will keep it quiet. Just in case some other team goes "Hey! We could afford that!" and they try to jump in and grab him for a few bucks more. Once it's signed, then you don't have to worry. They may have an agreement made, but until it's legal, keep it to yourself.

Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Lare:

Who is to say that moss and the Packers dont have a dela in place already ;)

Why not make it public?

Pyle, I think the deal may be tentatively in place, the only stick up is the draft. If for example, we send our second round pick this year for Moss, well the draft has come and there is a player that TT thinks can make a Jennings like impact then I think they'll try to work out other compensation.

TT is one to value his picks, so if he thinks he might get an outside shot at a good player, he may resist the urge to pull the trigger right now.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
longtimefan said:
Lare:

Who is to say that moss and the Packers dont have a dela in place already ;)

Why not make it public?

Pyle, I think the deal may be tentatively in place, the only stick up is the draft. If for example, we send our second round pick this year for Moss, well the draft has come and there is a player that TT thinks can make a Jennings like impact then I think they'll try to work out other compensation.

TT is one to value his picks, so if he thinks he might get an outside shot at a good player, he may resist the urge to pull the trigger right now.

Then a deal is NOT in place. When a deal gets reached, if it does, then it will be announced.

Who knows what the real deal is but I wouldn't bet the bank Moss will be a Packer next year. He may very well be, but this whole thing seems too overhyped. My personal opinion is there was some talk between the teams, perhaps an inquiry, but I am not convinced its been much more than that.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of us really knows until it's officially announced.
Either way, none of us has any control over it.

Members online

Latest posts