A couple of many reasons to ignore the "experts" .

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some posters think that players cannot develop and will always be held back by
the original limitations and evaluations they came into the league with.
I thought I would post a few of the reasons that this is crazy starting with a couple of the QB's the so-called "experts" called reaches ...
... and said would never have the talent to play in the NFL

1. Bart Starr, QB, 1956: A 17th-round pick, No. 200 overall.
He led the Packers to Six Division titles, 5 World Championships, and two Super Bowl titles.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

2. Don Majkowski, QB, 1987: A 10th-round pick, No. 255 overall. Made the Pro Bowl in 1989.
Don has been voted into the Packer Hall of Fame.

Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence.
Vince Lombardi

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's right, Bruce. And how about:

The great Johnny U. Drafted in the 9th round and cut by the Steelers before the start of the '55 season, signed as a free agent the next year by the Colts. Voted the "Greatest Quarterback of the First 50 Years of Pro Football" in 2000.

Jim Ringo, 211 lb lineman drafted by the Pack in 1953. Quit training camp his first year, only to be shamed into returning by his family. Was the only all-pro on the team when Lombardi took over. Started 126 consecutive games as a Packer and another 56 for the Eagles. Never weighed more than 235. Hall of Fame

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great stuff brother blood...

Great stuff, Bro!

Bringing it into current context -- the "experts" responded to these two compensation 7th round picks as follows:

Mark Tauscher, T, 2000: Picked in the seventh round, No. 224 overall. Has been a starter ever since his rookie year.
The "experts" said the Pillsbury doughboy didn't have a prayer to make a decent career backup...

Donald Driver, WR, Seventh Round, Green Bay Packers, 1999.
"Experts said, "Donald who???"
After scrambling to find him on their charts they declared, to small and raw, camp fodder at best ...

Yeah, I love it when some try the old "the experts said..."
and then quote some idiot writer who never played the game
or wannabees like Mel (look at my hair) Kiper or other inane talking head as if that proves something 8)

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Larry, not curly or moe[[[///\///]]]

And here is a guy you know and I suspect others are familiar with who lasted until the 12th round:

, Larry McCarren, C, 1973: A 12th-round pick, No. 308 overall.

Made the Pro Bowl in 1982 and 1983, after initial tags on him were he was too small and not strong enough for the Pro Game.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been trying to get in touch with him. Sent him a PM (which he hasn't opened yet as it's still in my outbox) and an email. Thought this might get his attention.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Willie Wood? FA and NFL Hall of Famer?

That is why I nearly bust a guy laughing at the folks who think the Vikings are going to roll to the Super Bowl because they signed all the "name"(big contract) players.

We'll see...won't we? Smart money says no. New England has proven it over and over again, haven't they?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another one that should be mentioned is Brett Favre. I know he went in the second round but look at what Jerry Glanville thought of him when he was with the Falcons. I know that Favre wasn't as committed then but he still should have seen the raw ability there. I bet Glanville feels like a complete jack for that one!

Members online

Latest posts