53 man roster for 2022

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the draft is over, its tempting to speculate about who will be on the 53 man roster for 2022. Looking at who they have signed, it apprars that many of the roster spots are there for players to lose. This roster assumes that a player is healthy and special teams devotes a spot to KR.

QB-Rodgers, Love
RB-Dillon, Jones, Taylor
TE-Tonyan, Deguara, Lewis, Davis
WR-Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Toure
C-Myers, Menet
OG-Runyan, Newman, Ryhan, Tom
OT- Bahktiari, Nijman, Jenkins

DL-Clark. Reed, Wyat, Lowry, Slaton, Heflin
OLB- Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Garvin, Ramsey
ILB- Campbell, Walker, Barnes, Summers
S- Savage, Amos, Carpenter, Scott
CB- Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon, Veteren to be added later

K-Eberle
P-O'Donnel
LS-Wirtel
KR- Doubs

OP
OP
Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't have my reading glasses handy. Bet there may be another spelling error(s) somewhere.

This roster is as well balanced as any that I have seen on the Packers since the Ron Wolf era in the 90's. They are no longer a dome team and are built to win January football. I haven't been this enthusiastic about watching the Packers since they had Reggie White.

I think Gute will bring in another veteran WR to camp, but that player will be cut.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will be a few spots available due to guys on PUP list and the OL is a bit light with only 7.

PUP: Elgton Jenkins, Robert Tonyan, Kylin Hill

Offensive
QB (2)-Rodgers, Love
RB (3)-Dillon, Jones, Goodson
TE (4) - Lewis, Deguara, Dafney, Davis
WR (6)-Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Doubs
OT's (4) - Bakhtiari, Nijman, Walker, Van Lanen
OC/OG's (5) - Runyan, Ryan, Newman, Myers, Tom

Defensive
DL (5) - Clark. Reed, Wyatt, Lowry, Slaton
OLB (6) - Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Garvin, Ramsey, Galeai
ILB (4) - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, McDuffie
S (4) - Savage, Amos, Carpenter, Scott
CB (6) - Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon, Ento

Special Teams
ST (3)
K-Crosby
P-O'Donnel
LS-Wirtel

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Pkrjones is correct there is no assuming healthy with Jenkins for sure, maybe some wiggle with Tonyan but I even expect him on PUP to start as well.

My early than appropriate projection....with *assuming not on PUP AND not adding anyone to the roster not here presently as of 5/4/2022

Offensive
QB (2)-Rodgers, Love
RB (3)-Dillon, Jones, Hill*
TE (3)-Tonyan*, Deguara, Lewis, Davis
WR (6)-Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Doubs
OL (9)-Myers, Runyan, Newman, Ryhan, Tom, Bahktiari, Nijman, Walker, Menet

Defensive
DL (6) - Clark. Reed, Wyat, Lowry, Slaton, Heflin
OLB (5) - Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Garvin, Tipa
ILB (5) - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, Brooks
S (4) - Savage, Amos, Carpenter, Scott
CB (6) - Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon, Ento

Special Teams
ST (3)
K-Crosby
P-O'Donnel
LS-Wirtel

****That is 52 above...final spot comes down in my opinion to special teams leaning to how much a Dafney (TE) or a Tre Sterling (S) or a Toure (WR) can provide.

Practice Squad Locks IMO:
Das Boooooot (Eberle), Hanson, Toure, Goodson, Sterling, Van Lanen, Taylor (if able under PS rules)

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the draft is over, its tempting to speculate about who will be on the 53 man roster for 2022. Looking at who they have signed, it apprars that many of the roster spots are there for players to lose. This roster assumes that a player is healthy and special teams devotes a spot to KR.

QB-Rodgers, Love
RB-Dillon, Jones, Taylor
TE-Tonyan, Deguara, Lewis, Davis
WR-Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Toure
C-Myers, Menet
OG-Runyan, Newman, Ryhan, Tom
OT- Bahktiari, Nijman, Jenkins

DL-Clark. Reed, Wyat, Lowry, Slaton, Heflin
OLB- Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Garvin, Ramsey
ILB- Campbell, Walker, Barnes, Summers
S- Savage, Amos, Carpenter, Scott
CB- Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon, Veteren to be added later

K-Eberle
P-O'Donnel
LS-Wirtel
KR- Doubs
Looks good. If all healthy I like Hill over Taylor at RB. I mentioned right after the draft I thought King would be re-signed as the vet CB. Not a fan of SJC, unless I missed something in his ST play.

OP
OP
Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SJC would be a bit scary if he had to start a game. I just don't see anybody right now who's going to knock him out of the 53. Pickings are slim after the top three. Being a draft pick should help him get another chance.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SJC was a mid/late round pick, he has neither progressed slower or quicker than one IMO should have expected. At CB I honestly would never expect much contribution from a guy unless he fell due to off field issues or was an injury question mark. Not too mention SJC came from a non-big college school...not saying I think he will be amazing or awesome, I just think we are right in that year where I'd expect to begin to figure out precisely what we may or may not have.

D

Deleted member 6794

Practice Squad Locks IMO:
Das Boooooot (Eberle), Hanson, Toure, Goodson, Sterling, Van Lanen, Taylor (if able under PS rules)

If the NFL doesn't change the rules for the practice squad before the start of the season four veterans with an unlimited amount of accrued seasons will be allowed on the practice squad.

OP
OP
Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers appear to be satisfied with Benkert at QB #3. He looks like a PS lock as well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If the NFL doesn't change the rules for the practice squad before the start of the season four veterans with an unlimited amount of accrued seasons will be allowed on the practice squad.
I don't see them changing this rule. My gut feeling is that teams like it too much to change it back to pre-covid rule.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My way too early 53-man roster.

Offensive(24)
QB (2) - Rodgers, Love
RB (3) -Dillon, Jones, Patrick
TE (4) - Deguara, Lewis, Davis, Dafney
WR (6) - Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Doubs
OL (9) - Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Rhyan, Newman, Nijman, Tom, Hanson, Van Lanen

Defensive (26)
DL (6) - Clark, Reed, Wyatt, Lowry, Slaton, Ford
ILB (5) - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, Summers, McDuffie
S (4) - Savage, Amos, Carpenter, Gaines
CB (6) - Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon, Texada

Special Teams (3)
K - Crosby
P - O'Donnel
LS - Coco

D

Deleted member 6794

My way too early 53-man roster.

Offensive(24)
QB (2) - Rodgers, Love
RB (3) -Dillon, Jones, Patrick
TE (4) - Deguara, Lewis, Davis, Dafney
WR (6) - Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Doubs
OL (9) - Bakhtiari, Runyan, Myers, Rhyan, Newman, Nijman, Tom, Hanson, Van Lanen

Defensive (26)
DL (6) - Clark, Reed, Wyatt, Lowry, Slaton, Ford
ILB (5) - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, Summers, McDuffie
S (4) - Savage, Amos, Carpenter, Gaines
CB (6) - Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon, Texada

Special Teams (3)
K - Crosby
P - O'Donnel
LS - Coco

You might want to add that you expect Jenkins and Tonyan to start the season on the PUP list before another poster faints because of not realizing it ;)

OP
OP
Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a single team in the NFL decided to sign free agent Kevin King. I think that tells you all you need to know what other teams think about his talent level. He's out there for the veteran minimum but nobody is kicking the tires. At this point, he'll need to wait until injuries make a GM desperate enough to sign him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a single team in the NFL decided to sign free agent Kevin King. I think that tells you all you need to know what other teams think about his talent level. He's out there for the veteran minimum but nobody is kicking the tires. At this point, he'll need to wait until injuries make a GM desperate enough to sign him.
Or it could be his agent set a price for King and nobody, now, is willing to pay it. As camp &/or games begin & injuries pile-up teams may become more interested... OR his price may come down a bit.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or it could be his agent set a price for King and nobody, now, is willing to pay it. As camp &/or games begin & injuries pile-up teams may become more interested... OR his price may come down a bit.
Interesting because the consensus opinion here a few months back is that GB would resign King. They have three very talented starting CBs in Alexander, Stokes, and Douglas - but need depth. I'd be interested in King at the veteran minimum, but no more. I don't think there's an absence of interest in King. I think he and/or his agent got used to making $5 mil/year and want something similar. He has and injury history, and his play is spotty. Maybe it's best if GB goes in a different direction.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think his price will come down more than a bit if his asking price is near 5 million. Injuries during training camps around the league may get him a $3M offer if someone needs him. There are still an awful lot of unsigned players with significant playing experience whose desperation level will increase as the season draws close.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting because the consensus opinion here a few months back is that GB would resign King. They have three very talented starting CBs in Alexander, Stokes, and Douglas - but need depth. I'd be interested in King at the veteran minimum, but no more. I don't think there's an absence of interest in King. I think he and/or his agent got used to making $5 mil/year and want something similar. He has and injury history, and his play is spotty. Maybe it's best if GB goes in a different direction.
Pretty sure the Packers will want to see the young kids rate of development before they bring in unsigned guys. The longer they wait the more it shows the level of confidence they have in some of the kids.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's easily a $3M a year level guy without blinking IMO for the role we want him to be. If a team's #2 or #3 get injured though I could easily see a team pay him $5M

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure the Packers will want to see the young kids rate of development before they bring in unsigned guys. The longer they wait the more it shows the level of confidence they have in some of the kids.
That's a good point. Would be nice to find the next Douglas. As for King, he could be a last resort if he's still hanging on the unemployment line.
I agree. I'd like to see some of the younger guys, drafted or UDFA, play in practice and PS games before giving King anything. King has had 4 or 5 years to develop, and he's never risen to much more than just a guy at CB, IMO. If the younger guys aren't ready, park one on the PS and if he's still unsigned, give King the veteran minimum. This gives him one last chance to prove he belongs on a 53-man roster.

Reaction score
I’m an advocate of paying guys close to what they are worth (I don’t like overpaying and I don’t like underpaying unless it’s justifiable) The good news is he’s not a must have. He’d be a luxury and thus we can risk the wait and his value drops if anything.

I think you could argue as a #4 CB that his worth to the team is significantly less and thus his role likely not as pronounced. I’d absolutely feel fine if we offer him in that $2-3M range. That’s cheap insurance and he’s a very experienced CB.

We need to keep in mind that he’s likely covering the #3-4 type WR more. We are used to seeing him cover 1’s and 2’s. Im just guessing that he’d fair better in a lesser capacity role. He’d probably be good on ST just watching how he’s pretty good at disrupting downhill

Last edited:

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m an advocate of paying guys close to what they are worth. The good news is he’s not a must have. He’d be a luxury and thus we can risk the wait and his value drops if anything.

I think you could argue as a #4 CB that his worth to the team is significantly less and thus his role likely not as pronounced. I’d absolutely feel fine if we offer him in that $2-3M range. That’s cheap insurance and he’s a very experienced CB.

We need to keep in mind that he’s likely covering the #3-4 type WR more. We are used to seeing him cover 1’s and 2’s. Im just guessing that he’d fair better in a lesser capacity role. He’d probably be good on ST just watching how he’s pretty good at disrupting downhill (conversely, he grades out lesser on the uphill, deeper routes)
Plus I'd be willing to pay him a "little more" as a #4 than I would any other potential guys we'd pick up as his value to GB is a little more since he knows the system and is ready to plug and play without learning the scheme that bringing someone in from the outside would need to do.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plus I'd be willing to pay him a "little more" as a #4 than I would any other potential guys we'd pick up as his value to GB is a little more since he knows the system and is ready to plug and play without learning the scheme that bringing someone in from the outside would need to do.
I agree but it did not seem to take Douglas long.

Members online

Latest posts