Reaction score
Brady Poppinga
Position: Outside Linebacker/Defensive End
College: Brigham Young
Height: 6-3
Weight: 259
Hometown: Evanston, Wyo.

OVERVIEW
Poppinga is a player blessed with above-average speed, which helped him make the smooth transition from defensive end to outside linebacker during his senior year. Poppinga comes from a sports-oriented family with close ties to BYU and Utah State. His father, Dennis, played tight end at BYU from 1968-1971. Poppinga's older sister, Tara, played volleyball at Utah State. His older brother, Casey, was a tight end at Utah State. His younger brother, Kelly, plays linebacker for BYU.

Poppinga was an all-state selection at linebacker and tight end for Evanston High School. He lettered three times in football and basketball and four times in track. Poppinga was named the Class 4-A lineman of the year and selected to the Wyoming Super-25 team. As a senior, he led Evanston to a 9-1 record and a 4-A state title. He also finished second in the 1997 state discus competition.

Poppinga saw action in every game as a reserve at right defensive end for Brigham Young in 2001. He recorded 10 tackles and recovered a fumble that year. He earned first-team All-Mountain West Conference and Academic All-MWC honors as a sophomore. That year, he started only two games, but posted 49 tackles (25 solos) while leading the team with eight sacks and ranking second with 14 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He also caused three fumbles. As a junior, he manned the right defensive end position, picking up All-MWC first-team accolades. He registered 55 tackles (34 solos), led the team with five sacks, ranked second with 13 stops for losses and recovered two fumbles.

Poppinga shifted to left outside linebacker as a senior, garnering All-MWC first-team honors for the third consecutive year. He ranked third on the squad with a career-high 79 tackles (35 solos), adding five sacks, 12 stops for losses, five pressures and a fumble recovery. In 47 games with the Cougars, Poppinga started 25 times. He finished his career with 193 tackles (99 solos), 19 sacks for minus-120 yards, 39 stops for losses of 162 yards and nine pressures. His 19 sacks rank seventh on the school's career-record list. He also recovered five fumbles, caused four others, intercepted a pass and deflected another.

ANALYSIS
Positives: Undersized defensive end whose move to linebacker proved beneficial in 2004

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like this pick, seems like an "edge" rusher type player that we really dont have, could develop into a good situational pass rusher

edit: wait a minute...check the scouting report...age is a concern, will turn 26 in two weeks...now come on...

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
edit: wait a minute...check the scouting report...age is a concern, will turn 26 in two weeks...now come on...

hahaha...yeah i started laguhin when i read that too. man this guy is a relic!!

does anybody else see massive contradictions in a lot of the scouting reports? they tend to have an area of their game in the positive's section, and then rag on the same area of their game in the negative's section...i dont know maybe im crazy.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
does anybody else see massive contradictions in a lot of the scouting reports? they tend to have an area of their game in the positive's section, and then rag on the same area of their game in the negative's section...i dont know maybe im crazy.

I've been following the draft closely for two months and after reading close enough I was able to filter out the BS and focus on the quality info.

As for Poppinga, after watching Bates' press conference, it looks like this guy has a clue what he is doing with blitzing. Guys like Poppinga will be good at getting pressure off the edge (a 4.72 40, this guy is a lightning bolt)...guys like Mike Montgomery will be able to pressure the pocket from the middle, something we've always lacked.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I met Brady several years back at a football camp I brought my son up to in Appleton. He came up to see and talk to the kids and I was so impressed with his speech. Junius Coston? and Cullen Jenkins also came different days, they were okay but Brady had the kids attention. One kid asked him who was his hero, and he told them about his Dad, and how great he is. He is a family guy first and I feel the pain for him. Sad news.

Reaction score
Always sad reading stories like that. Things like this affect me much more now that I’m a Dad. It’s a reminder of how quickly this life passes. I felt for his big sister she was obviously very close and she spoke tremendously to his positive role as her brother and what a terrific impact he was on their young siblings. But most of all, I was elated to hear he loved the Lord and how his Dad said they all know they’ll see him again because they accepted Christ. We are those left behind after a loved one passes away and we are the ones suffering. Julius (my Grandfathers name) is in fantastic hands, for I know the one who holds him by name and I have witnessed his power in my own life and I’m old enough to know I’m not that lucky. Blessed are those that mourn as they shall be comforted.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts