3.29 Mock Draft - "Finally a WR...Kinda"

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've personally let my desire for a WR enter the mock draft world...however...I've come to the conclusion that if Amari Rodgers is there at #62, he is a prospect I just am not sure I can pass up to add to MLF system. So without much fan fare, this is one of the last monday mocks left before the draft...

#29 - Eric Stokes CB - A guy I once had pegged as an untouchable (being gone already) is becoming more of a possibility. Newsome as I feared all along is starting to look like is going to be #4 CB off the board possibly. I flattered the concept of King's signing changing the thought of CB here, but personally I still think it makes the most sense and if Newsome/Stokes or even Samuel is here - no one could be mad (maybe disagree) at taking one. Stokes can fly and shows flashes of having a VERY high ceiling.

#62 - Amari Rodgers WR - Word is Packer representatives were very attentive during Amari's Pro Day, and with good reason. A running back body, with WR slot skills and return experience - three boxes checked right off the bat. While he doesn't have the afterburners in shorts like either Moore or Toney - with pads on the dude lays a solid argument to be just as valuable. His body build allows for more durability and even took some RB snaps at Pro Day - to me he is everything we all wished Ty Montgomery would be - but with vastly more WR chops than Ty had.

#92 - D'Ante Smith OT - Smith was a guy I kinda pushed aside for the longest time until Senior Bowl performance proved this kid has the ability to be special and is healthy. Has the movement skills to move inside even if needed, which depending how our OL shuffles out - this could be the difference needed for him to start out the gate even.

#135 - Caden Sterns S - Sterns is an athletic freak that I love working all over the field with chops to man the slot if needed. Sterns would add a versatile piece to an already ascending group of safeties, with coverage chops to possibly even be looked at for some slot needs in packages even.

#142 - Walker Little OT - Does not project at all to shifting inside, but does project for a career at a tackle position in the NFL for sure. His RAS score proved yet again why so many of us like him. Him and Smith added to the OL room instantly ease worries about the Linsley/Wagner/Taylor (maybe) losses from 2020, not too mention Bahk injury timing.

#173 - Ihmir Smith-Marsette WR - I've mocked him a few times and brought him up as a favorite Day 3 pick at WR. Athletic highly productive when called upon with immense returning experience. Long term could help some of the issues facing us of unknowns after 2021 (no contracted WRs with experience)...and between him and Rodgers this draft class could give the return game a jolt of assistance as well.

#178 - Bobby Brown III iDL - Athletic high floor type iDL that should be capable of granting Clark some help which is long overdue and maybe work into the rotation rather quickly.

#214 - Garrett Wallow LB - His RAS score backs what I've always seen, a skilled athletic guy that could be special. A guy that started out rooted at Safety in high school showcases this field vision at times despite perhaps not being elite in anything really, and despite his safety background appears to lack that anticipation gene you'd expect. Low risk, high reward type; precisely why he is here in Day 3.

#220 - Malcomb Koonce EDGE - Situational pass rusher out of Buffalo with some chops that hopefully translate. He is a rare lateral mover upon diagnosing the play and his short burst is impressive. His motor and pursuit from backside are not something to expect him to do out the gate and will require some coach up to see what all can be tapped into.

#256 - CJ Verdell RB - Oregon back that is an excellent change of pace type guy that will never be a feature back due to size, but excellent in the passing game and outside the tackle running.

Honestly, from the way the board fell, and to the positions found - this is about as good of a draft as I could hope come our way and I think if most are honest they'll agree. Not with the picks perhaps or the spots but to walk away with a potential pure slot of the future, a couple offensive lineman with chance to start year 1 (I'd bet one does) and a day 1 CB is awesome - let alone some guys with apparent high floors that should see their rookie contracts through at minimum in ISM, Brown and Wallow IMO. Koonce and Verdell will have a dog fight to stay IMO but worth the chance.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it . I find myself wanting to get a DL before my 2nd DB and 2nd WR. I might even go RB at 220 and WR at 256, especially if you got A. Rogers since he kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it . I find myself wanting to get a DL before my 2nd DB and 2nd WR. I might even go RB at 220 and WR at 256, especially if you got A. Rogers since he kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Amari does put a shot at three birds for sure (WR, Returner, RB) be very interesting to see just how many shots land true.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you make 50 of these dang things you’re bound to hit on one or two.

:)

I 100% spend vastly too much of my time on prospect research, watching tape and mocking. My wife says it is only rivaled by hunting related stuff.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do really like Eric Stokes he's a playmaker. Idk about first round but I've been taking him in the 2nd consistently even with newsome on the board.

As for wr, in the immortal words of kevin greene, "it's time...".

There's several wrs that I think can have a justin jefferson like impact as rookies with the packers. Who are also likely to be available either at #29 or within range of a trade up.

Rashod Bateman

Terrance Marshall Jr

Kadarius Toney

Bateman and Marshall Jr are davante adams style all around wrs. Strong, fast, quick, good route runners already. Toney is also all of that while maybe not quite as advanced. but comes with a lot of experience being that jet motion guy. If I was gutey I'd do anything I could to get Bateman or Marshall Jr and get back to what they had going with drafting the next number 1 wr every couple years

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do really like Eric Stokes he's a playmaker. Idk about first round but I've been taking him in the 2nd consistently even with newsome on the board.

As for wr, in the immortal words of kevin greene, "it's time...".

There's several wrs that I think can have a justin jefferson like impact as rookies with the packers. Who are also likely to be available either at #29 or within range of a trade up.

Rashod Bateman

Terrance Marshall Jr

Kadarius Toney

Bateman and Marshall Jr are davante adams style all around wrs. Strong, fast, quick, good route runners already. Toney is also all of that while maybe not quite as advanced. but comes with a lot of experience being that jet motion guy. If I was gutey I'd do anything I could to get Bateman or Marshall Jr and get back to what they had going with drafting the next number 1 wr every couple years

If Newsome and Stokes are both still on the board at 62 I will never post on this board again. Dead serious. That is just ludacris and if I was creating a mock or running on online generated one I'd ignore that as an option as illogical.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Newsome and Stokes are both still on the board at 62 I will never post on this board again. Dead serious. That is just ludacris and if I was creating a mock or running on online generated one I'd ignore that as an option as illogical.

Pff. But true 1 will be gone but I don't think it's certain both will. Newsome has the ball production problem. And stokes has a second round grade from Tony pauline

For the Packers I like stokes better than newsome as I think he's more of a play maker. I'd be in favor of a small trade back and selection of stokes. As every draft I like the 2nd rounds quantity of quality. If you miss on bateman trade back pick up stokes. I think one guy they gotta get is ihmir smith marsette he's perfect for mlf offense. I fear they might jved draft him but he's gonna be a good one

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitetail deer, 90 percent of times a field is archery only

Right on. Where I “hunt”, archery is pretty difficult. Lots of open area, there ain’t no sneaking up on anything.

Never shot a whitetail. Shot a few mule deer, antelope, and got my first bull elk last year. A decent 6 pointer (I believe you foolish midwesterners would call it a 12 point or 6x6). Good meat on the elk and antelope! I can’t eat mule deer, not even if I make jerky. They all eat our crops, so we get em nice and fat lol.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finally took the time to find the mock I knew I predicted we grabbed Stokes and Amari...LOL I know I did a lot but they were always mentioned in my mocks a lot.

Reaction score
Finally took the time to find the mock I knew I predicted we grabbed Stokes and Amari...LOL I know I did a lot but they were always mentioned in my mocks a lot.
Do you think Amari will turn into a Ty Montgomery type talent player? Better or worse?
(Not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing).

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think Amari will turn into a Ty Montgomery type talent player? Better or worse?
(Not saying that’s necessarily a bad thing).

Some gave me heat for it but I see Amari being everything folks wished Mont would be and then some - he has that potential.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts