2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking the new DC is going to get "his guys" this draft. It sounds like he plays alot single high safety. I think he going to grab a safety at 25...maybe a reach...or a slight trade back to line up with Kitchens or Nubin. Which of those two guys would fit best with the new DC?
I'd be tempted to take DeJean before any other DB in this draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to take DeJean before any other DB in this draft.

Only if thinking Safety, I don't think he has the chops at corner across the board, especially if Hefley wants to do some more press man calls.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Only if thinking Safety, I don't think he has the chops at corner across the board, especially if Hefley wants to do some more press man calls.
I think DeJean is well suited for either safety, or slot corner work. He's a guy I'd want as part of the action all the time with his natural instincts and ball skills.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think DeJean is well suited for either safety, or slot corner work. He's a guy I'd want as part of the action all the time with his natural instincts and ball skills.

I think you gotta put him in off man situations, which I'm sure Hefley would limit the press calls due to the strengths of DeJean, but I see safety all day for him and truthfully a very high level one at that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think you gotta put him in off man situations, which I'm sure Hefley would limit the press calls due to the strengths of DeJean, but I see safety all day for him and truthfully a very high level one at that.
As long as he isn't another "ball hawker" like Josh Jackson and turns into a stud like Micah Hyde (both played at Iowa).

Still pains me to think Gute spent a second rounder on Jackson and not a late round either, pick #45. The guy ended up playing in the league for 3 years, no picks, an all around big disappointment.

Last edited:

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of talk about DeJean, most mocks have him going 10-20. I dont want to in anyway move up for a DB. We done that, be patient let one come to you. second round it starts to line up.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it too early to start a thread on draft crushes or should we just keep those kind of posts in here?

I’d say if summarizing a ton of crushes it’d be fine to start your own, but just for sake of finding them I’d keep posting here.

I’m about to share more on a couple guys that have confirmed my belief in them more so with senior bowl matchups and one is gonna blow minds with where I’m ranking him. Lol

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of talk about DeJean, most mocks have him going 10-20. I dont want to in anyway move up for a DB. We done that, be patient let one come to you. second round it starts to line up.
I completely agree. If there's just one single player I'd most like to come away with, it'd be DeJean. But I don't see him lasting until 25 either. When we were drafting in the teens, I thought we had a terrific shot at him, but once we made the playoffs? Hard to see him lasting past #20.

There are still some really good safety prospects into the 2nd, and some reasonable development prospects possibly even as late as the 4th.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I found the H-Back the Packers need to replace Deguara:

Ben Sinnott, TE/HB, Kansas State

Listed at 6'4" 254

49/676/6 in 2023 (2nd in receptions, 1st in yards, 1st in TD's on the team)

Some comments from various assessments:

"As a run blocker, Sinnott displays good technique, which makes him an effective and efficient blocker. At the traditional in-line TE alignment, Sinnott can explode out of his hips at the snap and into the defender, creating effective collisions that stall bigger defenders. Working against defenders comparable to his size, he can not only sustain blocks but generate movement along the line of scrimmage. Sinnott can also serve as a lead blocker on run plays." -TDN

"Ben Sinnott is a TE/FB hybrid with a useful-yet-incomplete athletic skill set. Versatility is a major draw with Sinnott. Although he's technically a tight end prospect, Sinnott lined up plenty in the backfield for Kansas State, as well as on the outside as a receiver at times. Sinnott played about every alignment you can imagine, which speaks to his capacity to handle an offense and wear many hats." -BR

"Looks to get involved downfield and will block multiple defenders on a single play when he can. Understands his role as a blocker." -Buzz

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found the H-Back the Packers need to replace Deguara:

Ben Sinnott, TE/HB, Kansas State

Listed at 6'4" 254

49/676/6 in 2023 (2nd in receptions, 1st in yards, 1st in TD's on the team)

Some comments from various assessments:

"As a run blocker, Sinnott displays good technique, which makes him an effective and efficient blocker. At the traditional in-line TE alignment, Sinnott can explode out of his hips at the snap and into the defender, creating effective collisions that stall bigger defenders. Working against defenders comparable to his size, he can not only sustain blocks but generate movement along the line of scrimmage. Sinnott can also serve as a lead blocker on run plays." -TDN

"Ben Sinnott is a TE/FB hybrid with a useful-yet-incomplete athletic skill set. Versatility is a major draw with Sinnott. Although he's technically a tight end prospect, Sinnott lined up plenty in the backfield for Kansas State, as well as on the outside as a receiver at times. Sinnott played about every alignment you can imagine, which speaks to his capacity to handle an offense and wear many hats." -BR

"Looks to get involved downfield and will block multiple defenders on a single play when he can. Understands his role as a blocker." -Buzz

Yup, been circling him for a long time for Gute to shock folks with how soon he may say Sinnots name. Hback outside of OL is arguably the only spot a starting spot is open

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Also listening to Uglem, he floated the idea that they could use Wooden and/or Brooks as ends in even front, which would potentially make room to add another guy on the interior who excels against the run.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, been circling him for a long time for Gute to shock folks with how soon he may say Sinnots name. Hback outside of OL is arguably the only spot a starting spot is open
IMO a DB starter is just as necessary if not more.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also listening to Uglem, he floated the idea that they could use Wooden and/or Brooks as ends in even front, which would potentially make room to add another guy on the interior who excels against the run.
Brooks ran a ton of edge work in college and excelled at it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Brooks ran a ton of edge work in college and excelled at it.

It would be a way to add to the run defense without pushing a talented guy off the roster.

Right now, they’re a little stuck at iDL. They have five guys who should all 100% be on the 53, but three of them aren’t really much help against the run.

Maybe we will see things change with a new DL coach though.

Reaction score
That was One thing that the Packers liked about Karl. He was really scheme versatile. Actually that’s been a theme lately. It makes me wonder if our GM was already considering an ability to convert D schematics in the near future. Brooks, Wooden and Van Ness are all prototypical scheme versatile athletes. The more I ponder this, I doubt that was by mistake.

If we want a block eater and run stuffer draft Texas’ Sweat. He’s a Grizzly against the Run and would immediately relegate an above average to good quality Slaton to rotational duties. Limited down Role but a #58 selection in some capacity goes a long ways to forcing an outside zone run into the waiting arms of Van Ness etc. I have no idea what we are planning as far as our new DC though

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a way to add to the run defense without pushing a talented guy off the roster.

Right now, they’re a little stuck at iDL. They have five guys who should all 100% be on the 53, but three of them aren’t really much help against the run.

Maybe we will see things change with a new DL coach though.

With this shift potentially occurring, there was one prospect which IMMEDIATELY came to mind when I heard about Hefley's preferred fronts and that was Darius Robinson from Missouri.

An "oversized" edge weapon measured amazingly well at Senior Bowl to back my hunch he is special: 6'5' / 286lbs / 10.5 inch hands / 34.75 inch arms / 84.5 inch wingspan this dude is a beast to mess with off the edge. Highly experienced in diverse fronts and has played a ton as a down stance edge (similar to how LVN had at Iowa).

While like LVN this man has strength for days, and over relied on that at times in college the thing that popped to me this past week was how often he deployed various rush techniques to win in matchups; this was something he needed to illustrate an ability for and through them showcased his bend is better than many thought. He can reduce down inside if needed yet is fully capable of being a down edge also...he is literally a more powerful and quicker Karl Brooks IMO...and that diversity and ability is something I could quickly see Hefley and Gute identify as something to add.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This slot corner (played 200 snaps between deep safety or box safety this past year as well) is a Packer type to an absolute T.

Keep an eye on his testing because I could absolutely see Gute loving all things about him for a day 3 priority.

Attachments

• 9265E031-0350-4160-95CB-D8B6034E54CE.jpeg
    9265E031-0350-4160-95CB-D8B6034E54CE.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 22

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If we want a block eater and run stuffer draft Texas’ Sweat. He’s a Grizzly against the Run and would immediately relegate an above average to good quality Slaton to rotational duties. Limited down Role but a #58 selection in some capacity goes a long ways to forcing an outside zone run into the waiting arms of Van Ness etc. I have no idea what we are planning as far as our new DC though
I really like Sweat, but don't know if he does or doesn't fit into what Hefley will be doing on D.

One scout said this about him: "As eye-catching as his physique is, it’s his athleticism that’s truly eye-popping. He isn’t just a big guy, he’s a big guy who can move."

Depending on how he tests out, I can see him moving up to being a late 1st rounder.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At safety I would be happy with (all of this is obviously open to what happens at the combine) Tyler Nubin in the first or Calen Bullock on day 2 since I think the biggest need on the team is safety and either one of those two projects to be a pretty good free safety; Nubin would make the bigger impact early since Bullock is so light but Bullock is 2 years younger and I think has the higher upside. Neither really projects as a strong safety but, again, Nubin might have more upside there just because he's so much younger.

At linebacker (the second biggest need on the team) I think the team needs to focus on players who are strong vs the run and won't be liabilities in zone coverage since they already have Walker as the weakside/coverage linebacker; I like Colson or Cooper on day 2 though I think Colson is the better fit since he seems more like an in-the box linebacker who excels vs the run and is decent in shallow zones since the packers have Quay Walker as the weakside/coverage linebacker. Eichenberg is a guy I would like in round 4 but no earlier.

Other defensive players I'd be happy with would be Darius Robinson in the second (ideal size for a 4-3 DE which the Packers lack at the moment), Bralen Trice in the second (again, good size for 4-3 DE but his arm length might be an issue), Marshawn Kneeland on day 2 (which round depends on his explosiveness metrics a the combine since he's a power guy not a speed guy), or Egboigbe in round 4 as another ideal sized 4-3 DE but with limited pass rush potential.

On offense, I think the only real needs that would justify a day 1 or 2 pick are interior oline or a RB who shocks the world at the combine. The only olineman I like in round 1 is Powers-Johnson at center. Otherwise, I like Frazier in round 2. Guards, I don't know, none really stand out to me as impact players deserving of round 1 or 2 grades, just pick one of the good ones in round 3.

At RB, I would like Allen in round 3 if he tests really well at the combine. I wouldn't draft Brooks in round 2 but I would certainly be fine with him in round 3. One guy I am really high on is Ray Davis and I think he'd be a great round 3 pick if he's available.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At RB, I would like Allen in round 3 if he tests really well at the combine. I wouldn't draft Brooks in round 2 but I would certainly be fine with him in round 3. One guy I am really high on is Ray Davis and I think he'd be a great round 3 pick if he's available.

If he tests well and has a RAS flirting or breaking 9.00 he doesn't see Day 3 I bet.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he tests well and has a RAS flirting or breaking 9.00 he doesn't see Day 3 I bet.

He doesn't have the lateral agility or proven route running to be worth a round 2 pick imo. I don't care how fast he is in a straight line if he can't cut behind the LoS to hit the open hole.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't have the lateral agility or proven route running to be worth a round 2 pick imo. I don't care how fast he is in a straight line if he can't cut behind the LoS to hit the open hole.

I was speaking to the RAS which his agility scores are going to govern how well he does.

Straight line is purely one small metric.