tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Barry DC - Firing announced 1/24/24

Chris Gizzi Strength and Conditioning Coach - Firing announced 1/24/24

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the new strength AND conditioning coach has a good understanding of hamstrings. Tired of numerous players missing significant time with hammies.

His assistant can be a gal in spandex leotards who knows how to stretch hamstrings, quads & calves that the players flock to every morning? ;)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope the new strength AND conditioning coach has a good understanding of hamstrings. Tired of numerous players missing significant time with hammies.

His assistant can be a gal in spandex leotards who knows how to stretch hamstrings, quads & calves that the players flock to every morning? ;)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tim Lester, who was a Senior analyst for the Packers offense in 2023 was named the new OC for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Not sure how big of a loss that will be to the Packer offense, I had never heard of the guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Tim Lester, who was a Senior analyst for the Packers offense in 2023 was named the new OC for the Iowa Hawkeyes.

Not sure how big of a loss that will be to the Packer offense, I had never heard of the guy.
The quiet guys lurking behind the scene should NEVER be underestimated.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The defensive staff is nearly set. They may add some quality control guys and maybe an assistant linebackers coach, but we're about there. Here's the cliff notes as I see it:

DC Jeff Hafley:

-Primary influences: Greg Schiano & Robert Saleh
-Primary background: Defensive Backs
-Operates out of a 4-3 base
-Used way more man coverage and single high at BC than is typical

LB Coach Anthony Campanile:

-Lots of overlap with Hafley in coaching history (Rutgers, BC) but not during the same seasons
-NFL experience under Brian Flores and Vic Fangio
-Received Def. Coordinator interviews this offseason

DB's Coach Ryan Downard:

-In-house holdover who started with GB in 2018
-Previous NFL experience was under Pettine in Cleveland, which explains his hiring with GB in 2018
-Worked directly under Hafley in Cleveland in 2014

PGC Derrick Ansley:

-Has been a DB's coach in the SEC or NFL since 2012
-Majority of NFL experience has come under Brandon Staley
-Chargers defense saw an uptick under his leadership once Staley was fired

DL Coach Jason Rebrovich:

-Has some overlap in his coaching career with Pettine, Jim Schwartz, Karl Dunbar (Steelers), and Todd Wash.
-Has been working primarily with edge rushers during his time in Green Bay.

Asst DL Coach Vince Oghobaase:

-Career has followed Hafley
-Was a DT as a player and will likely focus exclusively on the interior guys

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Campanile was also mentioned as an early candidate to replace Hafley at BC. He gets good buzz, and is considered an up-and-comer.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some may disagree with this, but I've said on here previously that one of the reasons why it made sense to let Barry come back for 2023 is that is was an assessment season. The organization was trying to figure out what they had in Love and a boatload of other young players. I believe LaFleur was also somewhat under the microscope. I've never thought he was riding on Rodgers' coattails, but that has been a narrative out there and he needed to dispel it.

The point being that I don't think they would have been able to build a new defensive staff with this many quality pieces last off-season. I think potential applicants wouldn't have been as confident in the long-term stability of the team/coach/quarterback. But with a great head coach and a great young QB in place, the Packers are attracting some excellent coaching talent.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The quiet guys lurking behind the scene should NEVER be underestimated.
Hawkeye offense has been terrible last few years. They are running 20 year old plays. Nothing new. Yet they seem to send TEs and OLinemen to the NFL.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really surprised this doesn't seem to have gotten any buzz on this board; it's a pretty big discussion on some forums.

I think this is a terrific development, and it's really flying under the radar. Nobody seems to know who this guy is, but we'll hear a lot about him over the coming year.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

At first glance, this just looks like some second-rate journeyman player who's simply doing whatever he can to hang around the league a few more years because he doesn't know anything else, but there's an awful lot more than that to Sean Mannion.

His Wonderlic was 40, which roughly corresponds to an IQ of around 140 - that's "near-genius" level. After graduating and being drafted by the Rams, he completed an interdisciplinary master's degree in political science, history, and sociology, with an eye toward becoming a college professor after retiring from football. He pulled a 3.7 GPA while completing the master's, while on an NFL roster. This is a very intelligent guy, and there's no limit to the things he could do with his life outside of football if he passed on coaching.

When he was with Minnesota in 2019, Mike Zimmer raved about how smart he was and how well he understood the game, often saying that having him in the QB room was like having another coach. Kirk Cousins, who is 4 years older than Mannion, said a number of times that Mannion helped him a great deal, and credited Mannion with helping him become a more consistent quarterback. Cousins thought very highly of him.

Coaches in Seattle said the same thing, and counted on him to be a mentor to Geno Smith and Drew Lock. Seahawks GM John Schneider said that having him on the practice squad was like having a second quarterback coach, and said that the coaching staff considered him a peer. He also said Mannion is probably a future head coach if he decides to take that path.

He's apparently been on Lafleur's radar ever since 2017, when Matt was offensive coordinator for the Rams and worked closely with Mannion. Everywhere the guy's been, all the way back to high school, coaches and teammates have been impressed with his intelligence, his leadership, and his teaching skills. He's the only 3-year captain in the history of the Oregon State football program, having been voted in by his teammates every year starting as a sophomore.

I'm convinced this is a very good hire. He'll apparently be part of a 3-man coaching group, working all season under and with both QB coach Tom Clemens and WR coach/passing game coordinator Jason Vrable to help Jordan Love and the receivers. Lafleur said Clemens is coming back in 24 for one more year, but there is no guarantee he'll be back in 25. I think he expects Mannion to replace Clements when he does finally leave (which would indicate that Lafleur thinks very highly of him), and I think he has good reason to be confident in that. I believe this was a very smart move by Lafleur and Gutekunst.

Oh, and a bonus - a number of Vikings fans are majorly, majorly pissed that he came to work for us. Many of them have been clamoring for years already that the Vikings should just offer him a coaching job and ask him to retire as a player, and apparently quite a lot of them just assumed that when he did retire, he'd coach for them. Some of them are throwing tantrums and others are crying like babies. A lot of the Seattle fans seem to feel betrayed as well, but I don't take any pleasure in that. After living half my life in the Twin Cities, I love to stick it to the Viking fans.
:razz:

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love it if Mannion absorbed everything Clements says & does this year. Take over as '25 QB coach & ascend the coaching tree. Love & the entire offense would excel together with Mannion...but maybe I'm a little too optimistic?

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love it if Mannion absorbed everything Clements says & does this year. Take over as '25 QB coach & ascend the coaching tree. Love & the entire offense would excel together with Mannion...but maybe I'm a little too optimistic?
He appears to be a very fast learner, and the fact that when he was a practice squad player a veteran starter 4 years older than he was publicly acknowledged that Mannion had made him a better quarterback (and this was 5 years ago) suggests he's already got a gift. I'd like to see im study under Clements and Vrabel for 2 years before Clements leaves, but we may not get that. The man already retired once and came back to Green Bay, and he's in his 70s. I guess if he wants to go home, we can't begrudge him.

It's way too early to know whether he'll ever actually be another Tom Clements, because that's a damned high bar. But one thing that does seem probable is that Lafleur intends him to replace Clements. Hopefully he can learn as much as it's possible for a man to learn in just one season.

One thing that makes me optimistic that he'll learn a lot in that time is that in addition to being a fast learner, his two mentors (Clements and Vrabel) have demonstrated that they are very gifted teachers. Just look at what Vrabel's done in the last 2 seasons with his rookie receivers. These guys are born teachers, and I think they will fill Mannion's head with their accumulated knowledge.