2024 Clusters

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think that they want Walker to be a WILL, not a MIKE. I'm not sure he has the instincts and football IQ to be the MIKE. He's better in a "see ball, get ball" role where he can just cut loose and use his natural gifts to swallow ball carriers.

My guess, given that they haven't signed a LB, is that they're OK with McDuffie in the MIKE role. He's a pretty good athlete, did a decent job in his opportunities last year, and played under Hafley at BC.

But he's also entering a contract year, so that's also where I think they are more likely to draft-- a MIKE not a WILL.

That would lead me to guys like Junior Colson, Nathaniel Watson, Edefuan Ulofoshio, Curtis Jacobs, Marist Liufau, Tommy Eichenberg...

Colson would seem to be the best of that bunch by a big margin.

I prefer Junior for a fit over Cooper personally for what you laid out. I also think you gotta add Jordan Magee. Ooober athletic but freaking intelligent and mature dude that guys surround and fight for. I would love a Colson second round and Magee to start day three sometime

Reaction score
In your scenario, I see a trade back, maybe even to early second round.
There’s a nice cluster at LB in Day2 LB being a definitive Top position need for us. That Cooper, Trotter, Wilson, Colson, Hopper, Knight etc.
Then there’s even another productive group a tier back in that early Day3 area Eichenberg, Liufau, Ford, Hunter, Jacobs, Gray etc.
we might just come away with TWO if we’re not careful. It’s a LB cluster operating in an overlap to our 5 draft picks #41,58,88,91,127
Plus, the bulk of these LB’s are good enough to be productive in their Rookie season. Well either be picking or passing at LB multiple times but not for lack of options.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There’s a nice cluster at LB in Day2 LB being a definitive Top position need for us. That Cooper, Trotter, Wilson, Colson, Hopper, Knight etc.
Then there’s even another productive group a tier back in that early Day3 area Eichenberg, Liufau, Ford, Hunter, Jacobs, Gray etc.
we might just come away with TWO if we’re not careful. It’s a LB cluster operating in an overlap to our 5 draft picks #41,58,88,91,127
Plus, the bulk of these LB’s are good enough to be productive in their Rookie season. Well either be picking or passing at LB multiple times but not for lack of options.
Of these 12 LB's you've mentioned, how many would you guess would be on the Packers draft board?

Reaction score
Of these 12 LB's you've mentioned, how many would you guess would be on the Packers draft board?
I don’t know enough about that scheme to tell you that. That said we generally draft “upside” so I feel confident if you chose the top 6 with the highest RAS/Production/Leadership/Resolve

You’d get 5 of those top 6 correct

Gutey did give us a small peak at his cards though. He said he liked that 3rd Rounder (Rasul) because he can often get find a Top 50 player on HIS board filtering into that 90 area. Round 3 is a great place to get a LB that can contribute if you don’t pick a converted Safety from Vanderbilt
(My attempt at Oren humor)
We also already know that LB is (arguably) a top 2 need. So with 2 selections there’s a 60% chance imo that we go LB there. If Edgerrin Cooper doesn’t get selected before our #41 selection? my belief is we will take him first though. These are all hypothesis though.

I think we double up at LB Day2/3
Edgerrin/Liafau
Or
Colson/Echenburgler
Or something like that

Which would take LB into a relative strength

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I have some time today and want to try my hand at a mock draft:

1. Bears: C. Williams, QB, USC

2. Commanders: J. Daniels, QB, LSU
-- If they choose Maye, I think it could alter a ton, and it certainly could happen; however, the presence of Kingsbury leans me towards Daniels.

3. *Trade* Vikings: D. Maye, QB, UNC-- This is where I think a ton could change if Maye goes #2. Would Minny trade up for McCarthy? I'm skeptical.

4. Cardinals: M. Harrison Jr, WR, OSU

5. Chargers: M. Nabers, WR, LSU
-- A lot of the discourse around LA is that Harbaugh will only want to draft along the LOS, but if you look back at the drafts in SF while he was there, that wasn't the case.

6. Giants: R. Odunze, WR, UW

7. Titans: J. Alt, OT, ND

8. Falcons: T. Arnold, CB, UA

9. *Trade* Raiders: J. McCarthy, QB, UM
-- The Raiders have boxed themselves in; they're spending like they're building around a rookie QB but they don't actually have one.

10. Jets: B. Bowers, TE, UGA

11. Patriots: T. Fuaga, OL, ORST

12. Broncos:
D. Turner, ED, UA

13. *Trade* Jaguars: B. Thomas Jr, WR, LSU
-- The Jags are in a bind after gambling with Ridley and losing him; could embolden a move up the board.

14. Saints: J. Latham, OT, UA

15. Colts: Q. Mitchell, CB, TOL

16. Seahawks: T. Fautanu, OL, UW--
The Seahawks' interior OL is in shambles, which leads me to consider Fautanu, JPJ, or Barton here; I landed with the local product, but it's just a stab.

17. Bears: J. Verse, DE, FSU-- I think the Bears would love to trade down twice like this, as they only have 4 picks going into the draft.

18. *Trade* Cowboys: O. Fashanu, OT, PSU-- The Cowboys are acting as though they'd be content with Tyler Smith at OT and current backups starting on the line, but they could easily be lying in prep for a move like this one.

19. Rams: B. Murphy, DT, UT

20. Steelers: A. Mims, OT, UGA

21. Dolphins: N. Wiggins, CB, CLEM-- Whatever the Dolphins do, I think it will address an immediate need as they're in a win or bust season; I chose CB but one could also look at DT or iOL.

22. Eagles: T. Guyton, OT, OK-- The Eagles love to invest in the trenches, Guyton could use a redshirt season, and Lane Johnson is in his age 34 season.

23. Patriots: B. Nix, QB, OR-- After trading out, taking an OL, and picking up draft capital, the Pats take a developmental QB to pair with Brissett.

24. Bengals: A. Mitchell, WR, UT-- Allowing that the Bengals don't end up keeping Higgins, this is a pretty obvious need and they are often quite reliable when it comes to just drafting the BPA at their most critical need.

So here are the Packers' type players left if this mock unfolded (guys in the top 35 of the consensus board):

-G. Barton, OL, DUKE: only likely to be the pick if they legitimately see him as being capable of playing tackle. I'm not ruling that out, but I don't think they'd draft an iOL only in round 1 (I don't believe that's happened since 1994).

-J. Newton, DL, ILL: in my humble opinion, is too similar to Wyatt and Brooks to add to the roster.

-D. Robinson, DL, MIZZ: would be interesting and definitely a GB style pick; the one player they already have with length like him is LVN. Do they plan on using LVN inside and out or is he a pure DE? Hard to know.

-C. Robinson, DE, PSU: would bring an athletic skillset that they do not have as a true, hyper-explosive, high side speed rusher. This class also doesn't have much for edge depth, especially speed rushers.

-K. McKinstry, CB, UA: his man/press skills would bring exactly what it seems like Hafley wants/needs on the roster. The foot fracture adds a layer of mystery.

-C. DeJean, DB, IA: I don't think he's an outside corner in GB, they re-signed their slot, and I don't think SS is a premium enough position where they'd draft it round 1.

The guys I really love in that group are Barton, Chop Robinson, and McKinstry; I like Darius Robinson and Cooper DeJean.

When I weigh need, value, and the depth of the class at various positions, I land on Chop Robinson.

25. Packers: Chop Robinson, DE, PSU-- Pressures are great, but sacks kill drives; some might look at that comment sideways because Robinson didn't accrue many sacks in college. But he has the explosive speed and bend of a high side rusher who can get to the QB fast on obvious passing downs. He is the perfect complement, stylistically, to what they already have at DE, and could make a major impact in 2024 as a designated pass rusher.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So here's a Packers' mock based on that starting point. I think this is pretty optimistic, but every pick is within ~6 or so slots on the consensus big board.

1.25: Chop Robinson, DE, Penn State
2.41: Jordan Morgan, OL, Arizona
2.58: Junior Colson, LB, Michigan
3.88: Jaden Hicks, S, Washington State
3.91: Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
4.126: Hunter Nourzad, OC, Penn State
5.169: Tyrone Tracy Jr, RB, Purdue
6.202: Garret Greenfield, OL, South Dakota State
6.219: Jordan Magee, LB, Temple
7.245: Ryan Watts, DB, Texas
7.255: Trey Knox, TE/HB, South Carolina

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have some time today and want to try my hand at a mock draft:

1. Bears: C. Williams, QB, USC

2. Commanders: J. Daniels, QB, LSU
-- If they choose Maye, I think it could alter a ton, and it certainly could happen; however, the presence of Kingsbury leans me towards Daniels.

3. *Trade* Vikings: D. Maye, QB, UNC-- This is where I think a ton could change if Maye goes #2. Would Minny trade up for McCarthy? I'm skeptical.

4. Cardinals: M. Harrison Jr, WR, OSU

5. Chargers: M. Nabers, WR, LSU
-- A lot of the discourse around LA is that Harbaugh will only want to draft along the LOS, but if you look back at the drafts in SF while he was there, that wasn't the case.

6. Giants: R. Odunze, WR, UW

7. Titans: J. Alt, OT, ND

8. Falcons: T. Arnold, CB, UA

9. *Trade* Raiders: J. McCarthy, QB, UM
-- The Raiders have boxed themselves in; they're spending like they're building around a rookie QB but they don't actually have one.

10. Jets: B. Bowers, TE, UGA

11. Patriots: T. Fuaga, OL, ORST

12. Broncos:
D. Turner, ED, UA

13. *Trade* Jaguars: B. Thomas Jr, WR, LSU
-- The Jags are in a bind after gambling with Ridley and losing him; could embolden a move up the board.

14. Saints: J. Latham, OT, UA

15. Colts: Q. Mitchell, CB, TOL

16. Seahawks: T. Fautanu, OL, UW--
The Seahawks' interior OL is in shambles, which leads me to consider Fautanu, JPJ, or Barton here; I landed with the local product, but it's just a stab.

17. Bears: J. Verse, DE, FSU-- I think the Bears would love to trade down twice like this, as they only have 4 picks going into the draft.

18. *Trade* Cowboys: O. Fashanu, OT, PSU-- The Cowboys are acting as though they'd be content with Tyler Smith at OT and current backups starting on the line, but they could easily be lying in prep for a move like this one.

19. Rams: B. Murphy, DT, UT

20. Steelers: A. Mims, OT, UGA

21. Dolphins: N. Wiggins, CB, CLEM--
Whatever the Dolphins do, I think it will address an immediate need as they're in a win or bust season; I chose CB but one could also look at DT or iOL.

22. Eagles: T. Guyton, OT, OK-- The Eagles love to invest in the trenches, Guyton could use a redshirt season, and Lane Johnson is in his age 34 season.

23. Patriots: B. Nix, QB, OR-- After trading out, taking an OL, and picking up draft capital, the Pats take a developmental QB to pair with Brissett.

24. Bengals: A. Mitchell, WR, UT-- Allowing that the Bengals don't end up keeping Higgins, this is a pretty obvious need and they are often quite reliable when it comes to just drafting the BPA at their most critical need.

So here are the Packers' type players left if this mock unfolded (guys in the top 35 of the consensus board):

-G. Barton, OL, DUKE: only likely to be the pick if they legitimately see him as being capable of playing tackle. I'm not ruling that out, but I don't think they'd draft an iOL only in round 1 (I don't believe that's happened since 1994).

-J. Newton, DL, ILL: in my humble opinion, is too similar to Wyatt and Brooks to add to the roster.

-D. Robinson, DL, MIZZ: would be interesting and definitely a GB style pick; the one player they already have with length like him is LVN. Do they plan on using LVN inside and out or is he a pure DE? Hard to know.

-C. Robinson, DE, PSU: would bring an athletic skillset that they do not have as a true, hyper-explosive, high side speed rusher. This class also doesn't have much for edge depth, especially speed rushers.

-K. McKinstry, CB, UA: his man/press skills would bring exactly what it seems like Hafley wants/needs on the roster. The foot fracture adds a layer of mystery.

-C. DeJean, DB, IA: I don't think he's an outside corner in GB, they re-signed their slot, and I don't think SS is a premium enough position where they'd draft it round 1.

The guys I really love in that group are Barton, Chop Robinson, and McKinstry; I like Darius Robinson and Cooper DeJean.

When I weigh need, value, and the depth of the class at various positions, I land on Chop Robinson.

25. Packers: Chop Robinson, DE, PSU-- Pressures are great, but sacks kill drives; some might look at that comment sideways because Robinson didn't accrue many sacks in college. But he has the explosive speed and bend of a high side rusher who can get to the QB fast on obvious passing downs. He is the perfect complement, stylistically, to what they already have at DE, and could make a major impact in 2024 as a designated pass rusher.
I see what you did with #13. Well played.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer Junior for a fit over Cooper personally for what you laid out. I also think you gotta add Jordan Magee. Ooober athletic but freaking intelligent and mature dude that guys surround and fight for. I would love a Colson second round and Magee to start day three sometime
After taking a deep look at this linebacker and safety class, I'm definitely in agreement here. Colson and Hicks I think would be perfect fits for us right now with Campbell leaving and the signing McKinney. Colson is the best tackling linebacker in this class who will be stiff in the A gap. Quay is a better fit at WLB. McKinney is out one high, center fielder and Hicks would be the perfect SS.

I wonder if Gute is thinking along the same lines.

Reaction score
So here's a Packers' mock based on that starting point. I think this is pretty optimistic, but every pick is within ~6 or so slots on the consensus big board.

1.25: Chop Robinson, DE, Penn State
2.41: Jordan Morgan, OL, Arizona
2.58: Junior Colson, LB, Michigan
3.88: Jaden Hicks, S, Washington State
3.91: Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
4.126: Hunter Nourzad, OC, Penn State
5.169: Tyrone Tracy Jr, RB, Purdue
6.202: Garret Greenfield, OL, South Dakota State
6.219: Jordan Magee, LB, Temple
7.245: Ryan Watts, DB, Texas
7.255: Trey Knox, TE/HB, South Carolina
This looks very close to several Mocks I’ve done! When I miss on Nourzad I usually follow up with McMahon as my backup plan. His Combine really helped him, athleticism was an earlier concern and he put that concern to bed.
I think we’re safe with either though.

My latest Mocks have me trading back in Day1 for an extra 4th. Which I upgrade to Marshawn at RB or there are often several good OG’s in the wings at #126 area. I love the Tyrone Tracy pick, He’s one of a few guys I think have flown under radar due to a position/college switch.
He’s fun to watch on film.

I also often find myself doubling up at LB when possible. Losing Campbell plus a Schematic change emphasizes that middle area.
Cooper/Liafau
Colson/Ford

Etc

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My latest Mocks have me trading back in Day1 for an extra 4th. Which I upgrade to Marshawn at RB or there are often several good OG’s in the wings at #126 area. I love the Tyrone Tracy pick, He’s one of a few guys I think have flown under radar due to a position/college switch.
He’s fun to watch on film.
What would be the details of that trade? Because we're not just trading #25 for a 4th rounder; what else would we be getting?

Reaction score
What would be the details of that trade? Because we're not just trading #25 for a 4th rounder; what else would we be getting?
I like the mini trade back. Here’s why. 90% of the time you know who your trade partner is taking. So a 25 to 28 mini-trade back (example) there’s only a partial risk on the first pick (fewer player options for the picker at 27-#28)But ultimately from a Risk standpoint it’s like going back 2.5 players. Gaining a #128 etc. So If I have 2-3 players who are relatively graded equal?? I’d pick up a 4th and move up a hair in later Day3 as a bonus.

I do like your thinking though. I always ask for slightly more than the 4th Rounder offer. I’d request a swap of 5th and 6th rounders or at minimum trade our #245 for a #200 etc (6th/7th swap). That #126-#128 area is a fantastic place to grab that bonus LB, OL, DB, RB in this draft.

Keep in mind I’m not blindly suggesting we trade. This is if our ideal Selections are gone before our selection. If Mims or Latham or DeJean fall to our natural it’s likely I go that direction. That does happen from time to time in my Mocks and if I’m not excited at #25? Get extra capital. Also I like to then use a round later to trade up in Day2 (such as a 5th or 6th paired with a 3rd to move up some)

You’re probably sorry you asked! :roflmao:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's an idea that prioritizes the OL:

1.25: G. Barton, OL, Duke-- I have wondered if the Packers would take Barton, as they virtually never draft iOL in the first round. However, they may see him as having legit ability to play tackle even if that isn't where he ultimately slots in. He would give them immediate depth at tackle, competition at RG, and a succession plan at center.

2.41: C. Bishop, S, Utah-- I think draft day and the closer leadup to the draft will reveal that the media had this safety class all wrong. They've mocked Nubin, Kinchens, Bullard, and Bullock at the top, but I suspect that Bishop, Hicks, and maybe Taylor-Demerson will be the most highly sought after players. Bishop is the best SS on the roster from day one. If the Packers had the choice of him or Hicks and took the latter, I'd be all for that too.

2.58: M. Melton, CB, Rutgers-- The Packers could use more depth/competition outside, but they also only have one guy cut out for the slot. Ideally, they would find an inside/outside versatile corner like Melton or Phillips. Melton is a great athlete, he has adequate size (5'11" 187#), he's been under strong coaching (Schiano), he played inside and out, he has a ton of production (22 PBU, 8 INT over last 3 seasons), and he isn't quite 22 yet. He pushes Nixon in the slot and gives them depth on the outside.

3.88: B. Fisher, OL, Notre Dame-- Fisher profiles as a Packer and, though overshadowed by Alt at Notre Dame, has been a very good starter for the Irish at both left and right tackle. He probably has some position flex on the interior, but I think his height makes tackle his best long-term home. The Packers need immediate depth on both sides and some competition for Walker. I was tempted to go Dominick Puni here, whom I really like, but he's already 24 years old.

3.91: C. Gray, LB, North Carolina-- There are mixed reviews on Gray's ability to handle blockers in the running game, but he's a good athlete with plenty of size for this era of football who I think could become a well-rounded starter. Gutekunst recently talked about the Weak/Strong, Mike/Will designations not mattering so much anymore-- they just need two primary players who can handle multiple roles. In time, that to me is Gray.

4.126: W. Shipley, RB, Clemson-- With Jacobs providing the foundation of the running game and Dillon back to add an interior rush element plus pass pro abilities, the Packers need to fill out the room with some speed/juice. Shipley brings that dynamic to the table, being a very similar tester to Aaron Jones. He's a strong pass catcher who can break the longer run.

5.169: E. Ulofoshio, LB, Washington-- In a weaker LB class, it may be worthwhile to add multiples to the room. Ulofoshio is a little short and old, but overall a good athlete who had a productive career for the Huskies. He's been pretty overlooked this draft cycle and I'm not too sure why that is. I think both him and Gray would be the immediate backups on defense, while Welch and/or Wilson hold down the primary ST roles.

6.202: G. Greenfield, OL, South Dakota State-- Another older, 6th year player, but who offers inside/out versatility and nearly checks all of the Packers' boxes (a little slow for them on the SS).

6.219: C. Johnson, DE, Mississippi-- Athlete to develop and add competition to the back of the position group.

7.245: R. Watts, S, Texas-- Crazy athlete but underperformer at cornerback. Texas had him miscast. He's almost 6'3" and he weighed in at 208#. Try him at safety and see if you stole a good player.

7.255: T. Knox, HB, South Carolina-- Knox is 6'3" 240# and not a good enough athlete to try and hack it at TE, but he did a lot of lead blocking for the Gamecocks and might add a dimension as an H-back.

One thing I like about this scenario is that the first 6 selections are all 21 years old. You have to check ages in this era with the stupid covid year.

Reaction score
2.58: M. Melton, CB, Rutgers-- The Packers could use more depth/competition outside, but they also only have one guy cut out for the slot. Ideally, they would find an inside/outside versatile corner like Melton or Phillips. Melton is a great athlete, he has adequate size (5'11" 187#), he's been under strong coaching (Schiano), he played inside and out, he has a ton of production (22 PBU, 8 INT over last 3 seasons), and he isn't quite 22 yet. He pushes Nixon in the slot and gives them depth on the outside.
I’d pay to see Bo Melton’s face if that happens!
6.202: G. Greenfield, OL, South Dakota State-- Another older, 6th year player, but who offers inside/out versatility and nearly checks all of the Packers' boxes (a little slow for them on the SS).
Might as well not break up the party
Tell him we’ll be trading back and Jackrabbiting back up to select his teammate, Mason McCormick in RD4!

We’re all about Family. We’re the GB Packers! Oh and tell them to all be here for the regular 6am and 8pm meetings. :coffee:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Amarius Mims (25)
Here we get our Cornerstone for the next 4-5 seasons. This sums him up best from draftbuzz.
“His ability to adapt to various along the offensive line, combined with his innate physical talents, make him an option for NFL teams looking for a cornerstone offensive tackle who isn't quite ready yet but who possesses great upside” We have a serviceable LT in the meantime (Walker) and can afford to give Mims some time to develop this season, but he’s more than adequate to plug in case of injury.
Edgerrin Cooper (#41)
While it is truly one of the weaker iLB classes overall and at the top, there are still a few that are worthy of praise. At the forefront is Cooper. A Consensus All-American and
1st-Team SEC LB. @Dante here is your 2024 example of an earlier riser. He missed much of the Covid season, but in 2021 was named as a Freshman All-Sec Team as he was flipping from a 19yr old to 20yrs. He has terrorized LSU and Alabama with his disruptive brand of football. A Cooper-Walker duo would be a menace to opponents. Cooper is rising and now needs a to Shine on Footballs biggest stage. The NFL
TJ Tampa #58
Instability in our secondary is screaming for an overhaul. The unexpected loss of Rasul Douglas and combinations of uncertainty from injuries can only be remedied by putting the past behind. Tampa led the Cyclones by whipping up a 54% QB rating last season. Labeled as the Cornerstone of the Iowa Defense, he’s got all the traits The Packers like. Height, Speed, High IQ and nobody will complain he’s also a A grade Run Defender. Like Mims he does need refinement to hone his ceiling, but he’s in the perfect Room for that. Hafley won’t be in a pressure cooker to get immediate results. We have the personnel with playing time experience who can
allow TJ to hone his skills and gain seasoning before we let him fly.

Malachi Corley (#88)
We knew it was a deep and talented WR class throughout and that would push a player who should’ve went earlier into our grasp. Here’s a player who has a skill set that’s really unique. He’s built like a RB, but has unique blend of speed and power and balance that makes dangerous in space. He’s just a good enough value to not ignore. He’s our version of Deebo.

Jaden Hicks (#91)
We really could use a solid Safety Robin for our Batman (Xavier)
He’s the best Safety left here.
He’s versatile without dropoff, he’s great in Run support with the requisite size to lay some wood. Hicks also possesses a high football IQ with high instincts. He’s also effective as a Pass Rusher with semi-disruptive level traits when infiltrating the backfield.

Javon Foster (#126)
Ok, it might sound redundant, but we are talking about a 3rd Team All-American and awarded 2nd Team and more recently, 1st Team All-SEC selection. The one thing that benefits GB is our versatility. Javon has 41 starts under his belt and significant snaps at BOTH LT and RT. He’s a mauler and is impressive at getting to that second level. He’s an immediate Swing Tackle that will have the needed time to win a future starting role. He also allows a talented Zach Tom to move inside to keep our best 5 going.

Tyrone Tracy (#169)

Unproven RB without a large sample size, but he’s a high efficiency RB. Can also KR and he’s flown a bit under radar. Although I’ve noticed he’s moved up the boards more recently. He kinda reminds me (similar) to a young Ty Montgomery/turbo Jamaal Williams mix. He can play WR or KR or just an all around athlete. His 9.64 RAS puts him in an elite athletic profile and while he needs more experience? He’d perform if you put him in there yesterday. He has that Jamaal fight but much faster

Dylan McMahon (#206)
We need to groom an heir apparent Center to Myers. I’d like to see Dylan put on some weight in muscle. Just 10 pounds area. That said he has the athletic ability to do what Young Bakhtiari did, but at Center. With that said, he’s basically 6’3.5 and 300lbs and put up the 11th best Combine for a Center in history.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was tempted to go Dominick Puni here, whom I really like, but he's already 24 years old
Not any kind of draftnick, but I am curious about the age factor. I can understand if we're talking about a RB or any position where a rookie would be starting to hit the wall at the end of the first contract, but for OL, which normally play well into their 30s, what's the concern?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not any kind of draftnick, but I am curious about the age factor. I can understand if we're talking about a RB or any position where a rookie would be starting to hit the wall at the end of the first contract, but for OL, which normally play well into their 30s, what's the concern?

My concern is less about how long he might play and more about appearing better than what he is by virtue of being so much older and more developed than his peers.

Breaking out and playing well at a young age is generally a good sign for long term success.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My concern is less about how long he might play and more about appearing better than what he is by virtue of being so much older and more developed than his peers.

Breaking out and playing well at a young age is generally a good sign for long term success.
Okay. Guess I was leaning more toward (1) knowing what you're getting and (2) not having to develope him as much/long as the younger ones.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Okay. Guess I was leaning more toward (1) knowing what you're getting and (2) not having to develope him as much/long as the younger ones.

I don't have specific data on hand, but I can tell you that players who come out over-aged, and especially the guys who didn't play at a super high level until they were old, tend to fail in the NFL at a higher rate.

All else being equal, targeting the younger players will increase your hit rate.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's another way to think about clusters-- by position.

Quarterback: Green Bay highly values the position and invests in it even at times when fans don't expect. So if they want to find a talented guy to develop and potentially trade off for profit or simply provide depth...

-Rd 2: Bo Nix, Oregon
-Rd. 3: Spencer Rattler, South Carolina
-Rds. 4-5: Michael Pratt, Tulane
-Rds. 6-7: Kedon Slovis, BYU

Running Back: They need a speed component to complement what's already in house...

-Rd 3: Jaylen Wright, Tennessee
-Rds. 4-5: Will Shipley, Clemson; Tyron Tracy Jr, Purdue
-Rds. 6-7: Keilan Robinson, Texas; Kimani Vidal, Troy

Tight End/H-Back: They could use a new H-back or perhaps a true Y prospect and move Sims or Davis to HB.

-Rds. 4-5: Ben Sinnott, Kansas State (H); Tip Reiman, Illinois (Y)
-Rds. 6-7: Trey Knox, South Carolina (H); Zach Heins, South Dakota State (Y)

Wide Receiver: If they take one at all, it would make the most sense to find a ball winner who could beat out Heath.

-Rd. 2: Keon Coleman, Florida State; Xavier Legette, South Carolina
-Rds. 4-5: Johnny Wilson, Florida State
-Rds. 6-7: Cornelius Robinson, Michigan

Offensive Line: They need immediate competition and depth across the board and probably a succession plan at center.

-Rd. 1: Graham Barton, Duke; Troy Fautanu, Washington
-Rd. 2: Jordan Morgan, Arizona; Kingsley Suamatai, BYU
-Rd. 3: Blake Fisher, Notre Dame; Dominick Puni, Kansas; Roger Rosengarten, Washington
-Rds. 4-5: Javon Foster, Missouri; Caedan Wallace, Penn State, Hunter Nourzad, Penn State; Brandon Coleman, TCU; Delmar Glaze, Maryland; Beaux Limmer, Arkansas
-Rds. 6-7: Garret Greenfield, South Dakota State; Nic Gargiulo, South Carolina; Mason McCormick, South Dakota State

Defensive Tackle: I don't really know what they will be looking for here, if anything, given what they have on the roster. But there are a handful of guys I like.

-Rd. 1: Darius Robinson, Missouri
-Rd. 2: Kris Jenkins, Michigan
-Rd. 3: Michael Hall Jr, Ohio State
-Rds. 4-5: Dewayne Carter, Duke

Defensive End: I think they need to round out the room with a lighter speed rusher.

-Rd. 1: Chop Robinson, Penn State
-Rd. 2: Chris Braswell, Alabama
-Rd. 3: Gabriel Murphy, UCLA
-Rds. 4-5: Jalyx Hunt, Houston Christian
-Rds. 6-7: Cedric Johnson, Mississippi

Linebacker: Gutekunst recently talked about the LB position and essentially said they don't really care of strong/weak, mike/will distinctions; they just want two guys who can do some of anything and work interchangeably. So GB needs well rounded linebackers to push and backup Walker and McDuffie.

-Rd. 2: Edgerrin Cooper, Texas AM; Junior Colson, Michigan
-Rd. 3: Cedric Gray, North Carolina
-Rds. 4-5: Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington; Marist Liufau, Notre Dame
-Rds. 6-7: Jordan Magee, Temple

Cornerback: Given what we expect of the defense, man cover skills should be at a premium and ideally they could find someone who plays inside and outside.

-Rd. 1: Koolaid McKinstry, Alabama
-Rd. 2: Max Melton, Rutgers
-Rd. 3: Andru Phillips, Kentucky
-Rds. 4-5: Jarrian Jones, Florida State
-Rds. 6-7: Myles Harden, South Dakota

Safety: They currently need a starting strong safety and depth overall; a player who can give them slot play would also make sense.

-Rd. 1: Cooper Dejean, Iowa
-Rd. 2: Cole Bishop, Utah; Jaden Hicks, Washington State
-Rd. 3: Sione Vaki, Utah
-Rds. 4-5: Tykee Smith, Georgia; Kitan Oladapo, Oregon State
-Rds. 6-7: Malik Mustapha, Wake Forest; Ryan Watts, Texas; Dominique Hampton, Washington

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaheim Bell FSU TE has to be an H Back type to consider as well. Dude is almost as athletic as Sinnott, similar stature and highly productive through the air to boot.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaheim Bell FSU TE has to be an H Back type to consider as well. Dude is almost as athletic as Sinnott, similar stature and highly productive through the air to boot.
Loved him at South Carolina. Dude lined up everywhere, especially since USC lost all their running backs. I honestly thought he would have top 3 TE potential going into 2023, but Florida State had a ton of weapons and I'm not sure they really knew how to utilize his skill set.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loved him at South Carolina. Dude lined up everywhere, especially since USC lost all their running backs. I honestly thought he would have top 3 TE potential going into 2023, but Florida State had a ton of weapons and I'm not sure they really knew how to utilize his skill set.

You also have to consider he is undersized by today’s NFL standards for traditional inline or split out TEs.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You also have to consider he is undersized by today’s NFL standards for traditional inline or split out TEs.
I mean ya, but it's not like we aren't seeing tight ends around that height and weight be productive right now. Laporta, Brevin Jordan, Kittle(short 6'4") and McBride right now. Hernandez, Walker, Reed, Davis, Clark, and Watson are more recent historical size and weight comps. And then the top prospect coming out this year is that size. I get what you're saying about in-line, but as an offensive weapon I don't think it matters that much.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean ya, but it's not like we aren't seeing tight ends around that height and weight be productive right now. Laporta, Brevin Jordan, Kittle(short 6'4") and McBride right now. Hernandez, Walker, Reed, Davis, Clark, and Watson are more recent historical size and weight comps. And then the top prospect coming out this year is that size. I get what you're saying about in-line, but as an offensive weapon I don't think it matters that much.
He measured barely 6’2’ - figured FSU lied listing him at 6’4’ in programs

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Max Melton would help the team immediately on special teams, also. 4 career blocked punts, and excelled as a gunner. Being Bo's brother is a nice story, but in all reality, he's a difference maker when on the field.