2023 week 5 MNF in Vegas

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Correct. The right call on 3rd and 20 is to get 10 or more yards back. That puts them in FG range or at least closer on 4th down.

Well we all know this. And the long throws are the weakest part of Love's game, and that's saying a lot. So why does MLF dial that up in that situation?

I don't know. Opponents are just harder from here. The team started out with a bang in Chicago. And I guess a lot of us forgot it was Chicago.
Chicago is actually getting better too. They seem to have at least some motivation. There seems no energy or rhythm from the offense.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago is actually getting better too. They seem to have at least some motivation. There seems no energy or rhythm from the offense.
Chicago is getting better. They easily handled the Raiders yesterday. Ok they're not going to the playoffs either, but they are showing some character, some pride. More than I've seen from our team.

A question I have now is - does this mean need a tear down and rebuild? No one in the FO is gonna agree to that, but the Packers have a few assets they could trade to contending teams with position needs to fill. We're talking about a new QB anyway. Probably wishful thinking, or the flashbacks I'm having to the 70s and 80s watching this team.

Maybe they need to decide first if this FO is the right one. Murphy, Gluten, MLF, Barry are all liabilities right now. Who would have the guts to tell Murphy to take a hike?

Krabs

Reaction score
Chicago is getting better. They easily handled the Raiders yesterday. Ok they're not going to the playoffs either, but they are showing some character, some pride. More than I've seen from our team.

A question I have now is - does this mean need a tear down and rebuild? No one in the FO is gonna agree to that, but the Packers have a few assets they could trade to contending teams with position needs to fill. We're talking about a new QB anyway. Probably wishful thinking, or the flashbacks I'm having to the 70s and 80s watching this team.

Maybe they need to decide first if this FO is the right one. Murphy, Gluten, MLF, Barry are all liabilities right now. Who would have the guts to tell Murphy to take a hike?
Well, the board would have to fire Murphy. That's probably not going to happen with the amount of money he has made the franchise. He's done a lot around the stadium in terms of things like "Titletown". He's not really involved in player personnel. He is the one that can fire Gute and MLF. I honestly don't see any changes coming. Maybe they fire Barry, but the defense has actually been holding their own. The D has done enough to win games.

The Packers are in a rebuild for sure. Dead money will disappear next season and they can rebuild the roster a bit more. 2025 they will be in even better shape. IMO, it starts with the QB. We need a legit franchise guy. Love is not it and there is talent on this team. Give the receivers more time. They are solid and possibly really good depending on progression. Fill a full more holes via the draft and FA. Again, it starts with QB play. That's the biggest gap right now.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the board would have to fire Murphy. That's probably not going to happen with the amount of money he has made the franchise. He's done a lot around the stadium in terms of things like "Titletown". He's not really involved in player personnel. He is the one that can fire Gute and MLF. I honestly don't see any changes coming. Maybe they fire Barry, but the defense has actually been holding their own. The D has done enough to win games.

The Packers are in a rebuild for sure. Dead money will disappear next season and they can rebuild the roster a bit more. 2025 they will be in even better shape. IMO, it starts with the QB. We need a legit franchise guy. Love is not it and there is talent on this team. Give the receivers more time. They are solid and possibly really good depending on progression. Fill a full more holes via the draft and FA. Again, it starts with QB play. That's the biggest gap right now.
Agree and a good way to look at things. Murphy has done a good job making Lambeau a year-round destination, more or less. He did figure out ways to squeeze more money from the GB brand. A lot of people from other states and other countries will make a pilgrimage to Lambeau now.

But yeah, get a decent QB and hope the young guys improve. Gotta find something to hang onto this morning.......

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. The right call on 3rd and 20 is to get 10 or more yards back. That puts them in FG range or at least closer on 4th down.

Well we all know this. And the long throws are the weakest part of Love's game, and that's saying a lot. So why does MLF dial that up in that situation?

I don't know. Opponents are just harder from here. The team started out with a bang in Chicago. And I guess a lot of us forgot it was Chicago.
Although Karlson missed what turned out to be a crucial kick in the 2nd quarter we know he has a powerful leg. The fact that it is in the thin air of the Mile High means he could be in range even if we got the ball to the 40. I can see having the long shot route in there to stretch the defense. If there is blown coverage it could result in a big play. Many a time Rodgers hit some of those with Jordy Nelson. But this was neither of those and the coverage was not blown. Love has to learn but MLF must be much more explicit with him the same way Lombardi was with Bart Starr 4 years into his career. And that meant margin for error.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fairness, MLF's play calling has been awful. He dialed up that ill-advised bomb to Toure in double coverage to end the game in Denver. Even at that, Love had plenty of time to decide that was a low % play, and hit an untouched Dillon in the left flat with nothing but green in front of him.

We can know for sure it's really bad when no one is blaming Joe Barry.

Maybe all those second year and rookie receivers will grow to be something special. I don't think it will happen with Love throwing the ball.

And this has been the easy part of the schedule. So a top 5 pick may be something to hope for. Sad to say.
I'm starting to feel that LaFleur is not the man for the job. Sometimes when they show him on the sidelines, he looks to me like he doesn't know what to do.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's okay to beat the Bears in the last game and get the #2 pick each round behind them. I am confident that the guy they take before GB will be the wrong guy anyway.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to feel that LaFleur is not the man for the job. Sometimes when they show him on the sidelines, he looks to me like he doesn't know what to do.
I just described that look yesterday as similar to a deer in the headlights. Lost. Over his head. Not knowing what to do next, as you mention.

To be fair, he looked like that before this season as well.

The problem at this point is that the Packers have so many weaknesses/flaws - from coaching to penalties to QB play to plain ol youth - it's hard to pinpoint one thing. Maybe it is best to just let it play out and make some possibly hard decisions at the end of the year. I was fine with a mistake-prone, young and talented team. Now I'm questioning the "talented" part on both O and D. But I'm impatient anyway.......

Finally, I believe the thinking at 1265 was to let Love play for two years, let the young players gain experience, and then make some decisions. If they keep playing like this, I don't think Love or MLF get that luxury of an unchanged 2024.

Krabs

Reaction score
I just described that look yesterday as similar to a deer in the headlights. Lost. Over his head. Not knowing what to do next, as you mention.
Totally agree.
To be fair, he looked like that before this season as well.

The problem at this point is that the Packers have so many weaknesses/flaws - from coaching to penalties to QB play to plain ol youth - it's hard to pinpoint one thing. Maybe it is best to just let it play out and make some possibly hard decisions at the end of the year. I was fine with a mistake-prone, young and talented team. Now I'm questioning the "talented" part on both O and D. But I'm impatient anyway.......
I do think there is talent on this team. I like Doubs, Reed, and Musgrave. I think they are talented dudes. Watson is as well he just can't stay healthy. Availability is huge in the NFL. The oline needs some work. There are some pieces there that can be worked with. I think the Packers will address this in the offseason for sure. A couple of high draft picks. Jones is struggling with availability as well. Dillon is likely gone. They will need to address the RB position next season as well. I still think there is a lot of talent on the defense. They just need to be used to their strengths.
Finally, I believe the thinking at 1265 was to let Love play for two years, let the young players gain experience, and then make some decisions. If they keep playing like this, I don't think Love or MLF get that luxury of an unchanged 2024.
The Packers tend to hold onto coaches for too long. Give them the benefit of the doubt. I think we are likely to lose the next 7 games, which would be 10 in a row. If that happens, I think heads roll.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree.

I do think there is talent on this team. I like Doubs, Reed, and Musgrave. I think they are talented dudes. Watson is as well he just can't stay healthy. Availability is huge in the NFL. The oline needs some work. There are some pieces there that can be worked with. I think the Packers will address this in the offseason for sure. A couple of high draft picks. Jones is struggling with availability as well. Dillon is likely gone. They will need to address the RB position next season as well. I still think there is a lot of talent on the defense. They just need to be used to their strengths.

The Packers tend to hold onto coaches for too long. Give them the benefit of the doubt. I think we are likely to lose the next 7 games, which would be 10 in a row. If that happens, I think heads roll.
I hope you're right that some big changes are made if this season continues as it is. I don't think any of us expected even a playoff team. Neither did we expect a team this bad. They're going backwards.

We'll see what the next 11 games brings. Every team left on the schedule with maybe the exception of Carolina is tougher than any we've faced. Hell the Queens beat the Niners last night. Get ready for a rough ride if changes aren't made.